New Hunting Boots

Just recieved these new Belleville 790's - these are US made and issued to various elements of the US military.

While they look like a typical desert or jungle style boot, with the nylon side panels they are actually listed by Belleville as a cold weather, waterproof boot despite the nubuck type leater used. These are Goretex lined, and have a fairly agressive Vibram sole over a moderately spongy mid sole. The sole isn't a one piece dual density affair like the Aussie made Taipans and Redback Combat Terras - and as such the boots can be re-soled which is handy. These are extremely comfortable just walking around the house and thankfully the sizing is true - being the same size as both my Asics runners and all the Nike runners and hiker's I've had.

The boots feature speed lacing up the top 4 of the 9 eyelets, the and use fairly narrow laces so you can actually pull the laces tight using the speedlacing. In fact I can lace the boots right up to the top and still get them off just by loosening the laces, rather than having to unlace the top couple of eyelets like other high boots I've had.

I prefer a high top boot for ankle support, and they also protect the ankle and lower shin from stumps and sticks while motorbike hunting, as well as keeping burrs well and truly out of your socks.

I've tried a few of the Aussie made boots before and they weren't as good as these. My Taipan hot weather boots are very light and comfy and great in the heat - but are not at all warm if it's cold - and not at all waterproof either. The lack of lining offers no protection from impacts from obstacles while bike hunting. I've also had the lined, all leather Taipan boots which were not bad, though I've seen the lining tear around the heel area on the work issue boots , and the sole is more designed for dry surfaces and lacks sharp, biting edges. I've nearly gone guts up walking down steep hills with damp grass due to the broad, blunt sole lugs of the Taipans.

The Aussie made Combat Terra can also be a pig of a thing - ineffective speed lacing, no lining and a row of exposed stitching up the inside of the heelcup can cut your heel up quick smart. In fact the ones my young bloke had and wore to a Cadet bivvy shut him down pretty quick and that was just over flat ground.

All told, these are an excellent boot and appear to be able to take a fair bit of rough play while being very comfy.

P1030559.jpg

I know few people that go hiking on a regular basis, & always recomend boots with vibram soles. Im on my second atm, & very pleased. (different to your brand) Though my first pair was better, till i took them to work & was cleaning paint brushes out with turps, turps melts the glue on the soles. :huh: $200 down the poop tube.

You been for ride on your new pig bike yet?

Decent looking boots there Fen

I bit the Bullet and bought myself a set of Danner Desert Eagle GTX - they also have the goretex insulation and were brilliant last time out ( their first time out - small blister on my big toe - straight out of the box into the bush)

A ruff price on boots like them?

Ker-CHING!

http://www.coolkit.com.au/boot_m790.htm

Balty - no, not work sponsored. Taipans are the issued high top boot, along with a low top Blundstone lace up. One of my mates has been given three boots to trial for the department - a new Taipan, the High Tech Magnum and something else, not sure what.

what are the australian army using now then? as i still have a pair from ten years ago when i was in

cheers

Redback Combat Terra boots - which have had a bit of a checkered history as far as I know - there have been a few redesigns of these boots since they came in.

My young bloke had a pair and they were heavy and hurt his feet due to bare stitching running up the heel on the inside.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...639-662,00.html