Hunting Clothing

Went away hunting on the weekend and had a good chat to some other more experienced deer hunters. They had gore-tex cammo gear which seems to be the s**t but is quite expensive.

I have auscam pants and a mossy oak long sleeve shirt and a mossy oak waterproof jacket (which isnt much good for deer hunting cos its too noisy)

Im now thinking of getting a new waterproof jacket and possibly some pants but i dont want to go out and spend too much on gore-tex if there is other stuff on the market that will suit the purpose for less $.

The guys were quick to point out how good the gore-tex gear is and how important it can be to have if you run in to trouble in the bush.

So im wondering what other hunters here are using and which materials are good/not good?

One of the guys got his gore-tex jacket on sale at a hunting show (might be the go) he also got it in dark green instead of a cammo pattern so he could wear it when he's not just hunting, good idea?

Mate you can pick up a ridgeline camo pack for $120 which is excellent value for money and between $150-$180 you can pick up a ridgeline torrent jacket which is awesome in my opinion, its light, waterproof and quiet perfect for deer hunting IMO.

Also try Kaderles.Scootk has his own internet shopping,good gear,and good prices.He is in Vic,so quick delivery also.If you have credit card,the stoneycreekshop.net.nz is were I get some stuff from.Local gunshops also have some stuff.You could try Pat in Boronia(Boronia Rd)Sparksy in Ringwood(Bedford Rd) or Barb in Bayswater.They all have some clothing.You could get a hunter pack for $169,which has some good gear in it,or the Top-To-Toe pack $99 which will keep you warm.

The stoney creek shop is pretty good. Some nice gear. The rainwear over trousers look very similar to the bone dry pants i mentioned that are on ebay.

I had a look at Kaderles once before, i have the stearns mossy oak rain jacket that they sell, but its too noisy for hunting i think.

I came accross another site www.owoa.com.au that has a good looking 3 in 1 jacket.

Anyway i will look in to it a bit more before i go out and buy new gear.

Thanks for your input fellas.

Stoney creek make great hunting gear, very warm, comfortable, lightweight & quiet to hunt in. Swazi is another top brand, try www.swazi.co.nz. Both brands may be a little expensive but great quality. i have a stoney creek bush shirt ive hunted in for 9-10 years & its still warm & good, & the swazi dry bum pants are great for sitting glassing for animals on a frosty morn.

One of the guys got his gore-tex jacket on sale at a hunting show (might be the go) he also got it in dark green instead of a cammo pattern so he could wear it when he's not just hunting, good idea?

A solid colour won't give you much concealment unless it perfectly matches the shade of the surrounds - so I'd say no, don't waste your money on a plain jacket if you want camo gear. Get the camo gear and do the job right. Half of the camo effect is the pattern disrupting your outline and shape - a solid colour won't do that most of the time.

Ridgeline camo pack is the go, very good value $120 from gun shop in queensland ( look in the shooting mags for the ad ) and very quite in the bush. I used to use auscam but it is very noisy when brushing past bushes and not water repellant

Started out wearing the rigleline gear,but find that stoney creek is far superior in the bush.Still wear the ridgleline dry seat pants and button up jacket for deep winter hunting,but have found the micro tough pants from stoney creek to be more comfortable while walking.Need to try them while sitting and glassing in deep winter,but don't foresee a problem at this time of year.Hunted around whitfield in the rain,and my legs stayed dry during the hunt,and the pants don't retain any extra weight from the moisture,unlike polar fleece does.

Pajero Fleece actually expels the water thats why when you wear fleece and its hot the fabric wicks away the sweat from your body and thats why it gets that wet feel on the outside when you touch it...

Pajero Fleece actually expels the water thats why when you wear fleece and its hot the fabric wicks away the sweat from your body and thats why it gets that wet feel on the outside when you touch it...

I see.I also wear a stoney creek powder dry top under my hunting cloths,and this may explain why my jacket pockets are always wet/moist after hunting.

In terms of camo patterns, what do you lads prefer for the environment you hunt? Was in the disposals the other day and was looking at some of the German Flecktarn camo and thought it might go alright up in some of the VIC high country. Realise that much of the ex-mil stuff is probably inappropriate due to not being wind/waterproof, just interested in the camo patterns themselves. Thoughts? (Sorry for hijacking the thread Ben)

In terms of camo patterns, what do you lads prefer for the environment you hunt? Was in the disposals the other day and was looking at some of the German Flecktarn camo and thought it might go alright up in some of the VIC high country. Realise that much of the ex-mil stuff is probably inappropriate due to not being wind/waterproof, just interested in the camo patterns themselves. Thoughts? (Sorry for hijacking the thread Ben)

No problems mate.

Mossy oak and Realtree hardwoods green seem to be pretty popular.

A few months back I ended up getting myself a new jacket in realtreee hardwoods and trousers in realtree hw green that are wind/waterproof and nice and quiet as well, and a pair of wolverine boots. the jacket was $229, trousers were $89 and the boots were $110. So i spent a little bit but its decent gear and should last me quite a while and im quite happ with what i got.