Rangefinders

hey all,what is a rangefinder? & is it worth it..

im running a .17hmr savage 93fvss... can this peice of equiptment tell me if im in firing rang or not?

allso whats a good brand

Im glad you bought it up, cos im after one too. The 17HMR isnt a long distance bunny popper, but the range finder will tell you the distance you are shooting at. They arent cheap either.

I have a rangefinder on my shopping list as well. Had a go with a mates Bushnell, showed just how well i could (can't :( ) judge distances. Don't think it would really be worthwhile for HMR distances, but when ranges reach 300m+, it could be real handy.

yeah well im interested because when it comes to hand - eye cordination yeah im good but when it comes to telling/guessing distances im bad hence why i thought one of these little suckers might help out a bit.

it works, IF your deer is holding a golfing flag.

http://www.ciao.com/Sharper_Image_Digital_...4#productdetail

Superior 7x optics and digital technology give you the exact yardage to the pin! Pocket-size golf scope quickly and accurately measures your distance to the hole. Features 7x magnification with 462-foot field of view at 1, 000 yards. With a full view of the flag stick, just align the digital range marks with the pin, press a button and the distance in yards will display automatically. Superior lens coating protects against glare and scratches.

Edited by Fireman_DJ

I have a 1500 yard bushnell pro job,considered as one of THE best...it has shown me that i was definitely no fugn expert in judging ranges...these things tell the truth and will make a goose out of you especially across gullys...highly recommended.

I have a 1500 yard bushnell pro job,considered as one of THE best...it has shown me that i was definitely no fugn expert in judging ranges...these things tell the truth and will make a goose out of you especially across gullys...highly recommended.

I have a similar model as Gryph (Bushnell Elite 1500) and never go hunting without it.

I have had readings out to 1100 yards. I have absolutely no trouble getting readings to 700-800 yards in all weather conditions.

Highly recommend it.

I've used a few different ones at work,

The higher end ones are worth the extra dollars

Cheaper RX-1's and 450 Yardage Pros are good for a quick reading out to 200 metres, after that you need a very steady hold, and are fussy up to 4-500 metres

Top of Range ones pick up the longer ranges easier.

yeah thats cool.. prolly very handy to have lets say under spotlight conditions, hare insight... but you'v only got the .22lr/.17hmr inhand.... i guess the rangefinder will let you know if you can make the shot or not i suppose... if the rangefinder says your 200m from the target then creep up to it abit more i suppoes...

yeah thats cool.. prolly very handy to have lets say under spotlight conditions, hare insight... but you'v only got the .22lr/.17hmr inhand.... i guess the rangefinder will let you know if you can make the shot or not i suppose... if the rangefinder says your 200m from the target then creep up to it abit more i suppoes...

Learn to use your scope reticle to estimate the distance.

It's far quicker than using a Range Finder especially at night.

I have a similar model as Gryph (Bushnell Elite 1500) and never go hunting without it.

I have the Leupold RX-III, but recommend the Bushnell Elite 1500 for the clearer optics in low light.

I was looking at the leupolds; how have you found the 1500 overall compared to the leupold

The RX-III is great when it works in good light. It can be fussy with some surfaces, whereas the 1500 isn't. The optics on the 1500 are Japanese whereas the RX-III optics are Chinese.

The RX-III is great when it works in good light. It can be fussy with some surfaces, whereas the 1500 isn't. The optics on the 1500 are Japanese whereas the RX-III optics are Chinese.

I have read (somewhere) that the elite 1500 outperforms the Swara`s for the actual ranging in bush etc...I bought mine from Errol M and he quoted the "brush" function as the ants pants.

Forget the golfing version or the short range jobs as i tried a 400 yard model and if they are only good for that distance it might only be on a good reflective surface at that extremity,under user field conditions it may lack a little.

The 1500`s are a very good buy,i have even had local cockies and fencing contractors amazed at how wrong they were at estimating distances IE as a means of a quick look at the length of a new fence etc.

Two cockies told me the tree outside my back door on the hill was no more than 400 its just under a click haha

I rarely carry mine as it was only bought for a few guests that i might take out in the more open country,i can tell you that what you would guess at a cross gully est of 500 yards often has been closer to 900 in some cases.