Shotgun Mounted Light Review

Bish

Hi Guys, I’ve been thinking about buying a spotlight to mount under my shotgun for a while now and I’ve finally made my choice. I found a Fenix TK10 torch which has an output of 225 lumens at high power for 90 mins or 60 lumen for 10 hours. I got some of the accessories as well including remote pressure switch, a twofish bikelock and half a dozen batteries. I’ve taken the light outside and shone it around a bit and it looks like it should do the trick

I’m not sure about the twofish bikelock but it was cheap so I thought I’d give it a shot. It is passed between the barrels and over the top barrel. Does anyone know if this will be a problem? I’m going to the range tomorrow night for some clay target shooting so I’ll ask those guys what they think.

I bought it from torchworld.com.au and there’s not much I can say besides they seemed to be the cheapest, they took my money and they delivered the goods two days later.

All seems good for the moment but I’ll make updates as I try it out more.

post-5242-1242128348_thumb.jpg

Somebody on this sight posted a pic of a bracket that they used to do the same thing - it looked like a figure eight made out of flat bar split in half down the middle vertically with a tension bolt running through the middle horizontally - hope that makes sense

Wow I'm RS, just back from a wander around with the shotgun with my new under barrel spotlight. So how did it go I can hear the clamour from around the country.

Well first of all I'll start with the good: the TK 10 is powerful and seems to have lasted the entire night no worries. It was very convenient to use, the remote switch is great, though I would prefer it was an on/off switch rather than having to press it. Then again for when I wanted the light on for a while it was easy enough just to press the button on the torch body. The cheaparse bikelock holder is brilliant, didn't move but is easy to take the torch on and off the shotgun. It was so accurate that I could probably have shot from the hip if I'd wanted to. Very bright light I had a head lamp on for wandering around and used the TK 10 for spotting.

The not so good bits are that it added it's weight to the end of the barrel. The Miroku is known to be a bit heavy and this just added to it. I spotted a number of rabbits but I could also hear the thump thump of bunnies around me but I couldn't pick them. I'm not sure if this is because of the light or because of the long grass etc. usually when spotlighting your in the back of a ute meaning you are spotting from about a 2m high platform making them easier to see. The TK 10 doesn't have the power of a big car battery powered spotlight but it was fine for walking with a shotgun. I didn't actually manage to make too many rabbits eyes shine, though I did get some cows and roo eyes shining. There where so many wombats around it wasn't funny.

In the end I got 5 rabbits, with maybe a 6th in the bracken. Hunting on foot with a spotlight, by yourself is freaky though, I reckon I come across two, perhaps three groups of pigs, as they are in the area. I didn't see them but there was certainly something big bolting off through the fences and bush that wasn't hopping and made me pack darkies.

So all in all it was a bit frustrating, but an interesting way to spend an evening and get the blood pumping. I was thinking I could also use this light with the 30/30 and chase pigs, but after tonights effort I don't think I have the nerve unless I'm in a ute or at least with a mate on foot.

Everyone seems to be talking about this at the moment so I thought I'd bump it.

The light came from: http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index...products_id=462 but they are currently sold out.

My only other comment would be to purchase lots of batteries from them as well. The CR123A batteries are hidiously expensive.

This mob also sells Fenix, and is where I got my E20 from.

http://www.ledtorches.com.au/index.php?act...at&catId=10

I've now got a 220 lumen Eagletac T100C2 and have used that on the .22 a few times, have yet to try it on the shotgun, but am very keen. I have the same mount you have and as you say, it's simple, cheap and effective.

This place is good for batteries - pay with Paypal, free shipping, delivery is about ten days.

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.400

has anyone tried the Led Lenser P7?

apparently its supposed to be awesome, im going to go check one out at Aussie Disposals this weekend.

its meant to light up to 200m+ and has a focusable beam or wide angle flood... pretty sweet for the price.

:)

Yeah Alf, I had a good hard look at the P7 but narrowly decided to go for the Fenix instead as it has the remote switch and I could get the holder with it as well. It's also heaps cheaper to get the P7 either from the net or the SSAA rather than retail. I think there is something to be said for getting a light that runs on standard supermarket batteries as well, just to make life easier for yourself. Believe it or not but there are blokes out there who are just mad about torches and actually collect the things. Check out www.candlepowerforums.com for more information than you could ever want including beam photos and things.

...It's also heaps cheaper to get the P7 either from the net or the SSAA rather than retail. I think there is something to be said for getting a light that runs on standard supermarket batteries as well, just to make life easier for yourself....

Aussie disposals is the cheapest retail version i found, only $15 to $20 more than the net. Some shops had it for nearly double the price of those i found on the net.

SSAA is pretty good, but it is the old P7 (the new one has 200 lumens, the old P7 had 170 lumens). For $15 more you can get the 200 lumens from Aussie disposals.

I have a Fenix LD10, its a great little torch. Dont know whether to get the LD20 or the E20. The LD20 has nearly twice as many lumens, but it doesnt have adjustable focus... you tried an LD20?