Night Sight Stage One

optic

Have you ever seen the right lense in your travels? I've got the right eyepeice, but i've looked pretty hard and never come across the objective lense. Out of interest too, has anyone got a pic or details about the device that these IITs actually came out of?

Jase

Have you ever seen the right lense in your travels? I've got the right eyepeice, but i've looked pretty hard and never come across the objective lense. Out of interest too, has anyone got a pic or details about the device that these IITs actually came out of?

Jase

These ones? Probably came out of tanks, but mainly they were used for AN/PVS-2's and similar.

Big, heavy, bulky...Mouted off to one side.

David

Ok, I know I am bringing up an old thread, but I wanted to see this thing through.

I got the 75mm F1.4 lense that someone posted an ebay link to. The IIT and the original ocular that was designed for it. I grabbed a 65mm PVC end cap, whacked a hole in it, and "screwed" in the lense. Bit of lecky tape on the eyepeice and wired it up for a test. Well.... all I can say is bugger me. I tested it during the daytime, in my hallway with all the doors shut. Not the best test I know, however it lit up very well. Hard to really see much because the light coming in through the gaps of the doors kinda blinded out the rest, but ...wow.

I found that I could still see things as I wandered around the house with all the blinds down. It seems to get a bit of uh, noise? I guess when the shutter is open. I dial that down to make the image a little darker and things get clearer.

Because of the way I've mounted the lense, I can't tell how much distance is between the end of the IIT and the base of the objective lense. I woud guess 8mm or so. What do I acheive by moving that closer to the IIT?

I know earlier there was talk abou a 5mm spacer between the IIT and lense to make sure it was all right, but the images seem in focus (at the distances I've tested)

Now all I have to do is make a more permanent power supply and make sure the objective lens wont fall off. I don't really have a housing for it so to speak. Optic do you have pictures of the housing you have lying around? I'm not really wanting to get something just to have to modify it for what I've got, but an idea would be good.

Cheers,

Jase

Jase if you take what i offered you it will include the end cap that takes the Cmount, along with the power washer. When the tube is fitted to the end cap the distance is set for the lens. With the end cap fitted into the ally tube, you only have to worry about the eye piece, which as you know fits straight into the back of the tube.

There is a complete set of drawings for this project made from what i have mentioned above.

Im sure if you make contact with David he will guide you to it and through it.

Its best you see this thing in bits, and it is also on the site i have mentioned, it will all make sense to you now as you have had yours going.

What i have offered is left overs, but enough to make a complete unit. Its your call on weather you want it or not. You will have to drill and tap some small holes to keep it all together, but thats all. Im not pulling mine apart again the poor thing is suffering from stretch marks already. And it works a treat, according to David who has seen a few of these things says i have an exceptional tube, the view is fantastic and when i get Da Torch sorted out ill be happy. And with luck be able to get some decent pics up soon.

best of luck mate. Stick with it.

Well, after much buggerising around I finally got a good result.

So here are the cliff notes of the build:

75mm F1.4 C-Mount TV Lens care of the link someone provided

IIT from the UK

Original occular designed for this IIT

I tried to make a housing for it, but decided to go a semi temporary setup. I used a 65mm PVC Endcap, drilled a hole in the end and screwed the C-Mount lense in to it. This happened to fit perfectly over the objective end of the IIT. Bit of the trusty old electrical tape makes sure everything is secure and stops all the light getting into the wrong spots.

4xAA Batteries power it in a little switched battery box. I've whacked a Multi-coated UV filter on the end of the objective lense to give it a bit of protection.

It's all pretty crude, but it will give me a good chance to test it while I figure out what I'll do with the housing.

post-8658-020262100 1284470830_thumb.jpg

It took me a while to adjust the position of the lense to get a clear image. After some stuffing around, here is the result. This was taken with my ancient Olympus DSLR just lined up against the eyepeice. I have some marks somewhere in the setup. I've cleaned all the lense surfaces as well as both ends of the IIT. It is either in the IIT or the inside of the occular lense. Was just on midnight. This is the view from my home office window, through the window glass I might add, and there is a few street lights that are really lighting up the image.

post-8658-029014800 1284470803_thumb.jpg

I've yet to test it out in the wilderness, but I am pretty sure it will perform beyond my expectations. If it's a little dull I'll get an IR filter for my lightforce 140. By the way, if you use an IR filter on an LED torch, does it work the same?

I am glad I bought 2 tubes and 2 occulars. One tube was pretty average the other was great. Same with the lenses, one was usable, but the other was really nice and clear, no scratches etc. The objective lense was new so no worries there.

Cheers guys. A big thanks to the guys that went the extra mile to help me along, you know who you are.

Jase

I've yet to test it out in the wilderness, but I am pretty sure it will perform beyond my expectations. If it's a little dull I'll get an IR filter for my lightforce 140. By the way, if you use an IR filter on an LED torch, does it work the same?

Oh, that is a nice pic :) Optic will be NV-green with envy at that ;)

It looks like a very good tube too.

If you ever get Optic's end cap, it will take the tube ( with an appropriate 5mm adapter ) and will be a tight fit that you can just place over the top and tape it down. The spacing is already worked out accurately.

Once you get that far, the rest of the way is easy. Understanding what you learn making a NV scope can be applied to a new one and then you just need to assembled a new case. By making a spacer to go between the front-cap and the top top you can get it exact and make it consistent. :)

Just remember, 1mm too close is OK but 1mm too far away will never work.

You can't put a filter over a LED torch but you can buy a LED IR torch. Cheap ones are about $10. A good one is about $50 but Optic says they are too bright. A great one is about $200 and will have a 500m range.

LED IR torches are better than a spotlight with an IR filter.

If you're not sure, I'll send you some links. Dealextreme is the easiest source though.

David.

I was having a hunt around about found this site.

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=4246&p=17889&viewfull=1

I asked earlier where this IIT would have been used and someone said vehicles. That made perfect sense to me given their size, so I was pretty surprised to see that our IITs came out of a weapon sight.

Cheers,

Jase

Well done jase. If you get the books let me know please.

And just to tease you mate, i have a PVS-4 on its way here which will be fitted to dedicated rifles. A Brno 22 mod77 as new. This is my match stick gun. I have another for every day stuff.

Which means i will have to get a new one :D to give it a dedicated center fire rifle.

And in my eyes that will be a heavy barrel, bypod, light intensified, Bolt action, Nylon stock 308 and pistol grip. With the right fittings to swap the scope from one to another and maintain zero. Im sure this will coast more than the scope.

Are you envious yet mate ;) Yer im bragging.

They are not a toy, i did look at the stuff on the market now but this one was offered by a good friend, and i jumped at it, even the price tag made me smile, 2k+ under us prices.

With this toy and the spotter scope, im set up for in the dark hunting of pests from 25 to 300 mtrs. And thats a given.

Ill plonk my bum in a chair whith thermos, tripod with spotter set up, and the boys can go drive around with the light and ill sit it out.

Wish i was in dog country. Open offer there to any one that has the problem, but in VIC or close to it.

Better do the rounds of the LGSs on a new 308.

Unless any one can surgest a good one with the name for accuracy.

Im not happy to alter my 308 parker hale, If i can get a gun as good as it ill be happy.

So what a good gun guys.

Cheers.

Well done jase. If you get the books let me know please.

And just to tease you mate, i have a PVS-4 on its way here which will be fitted to dedicated rifles. A Brno 22 mod77 as new. This is my match stick gun. I have another for every day stuff.

Which means i will have to get a new one :D to give it a dedicated center fire rifle.

And in my eyes that will be a heavy barrel, bypod, light intensified, Bolt action, Nylon stock 308 and pistol grip. With the right fittings to swap the scope from one to another and maintain zero. Im sure this will coast more than the scope.

Are you envious yet mate ;) Yer im bragging.

They are not a toy, i did look at the stuff on the market now but this one was offered by a good friend, and i jumped at it, even the price tag made me smile, 2k+ under us prices.

With this toy and the spotter scope, im set up for in the dark hunting of pests from 25 to 300 mtrs. And thats a given.

Ill plonk my bum in a chair whith thermos, tripod with spotter set up, and the boys can go drive around with the light and ill sit it out.

Wish i was in dog country. Open offer there to any one that has the problem, but in VIC or close to it.

Better do the rounds of the LGSs on a new 308.

Unless any one can surgest a good one with the name for accuracy.

Im not happy to alter my 308 parker hale, If i can get a gun as good as it ill be happy.

So what a good gun guys.

Cheers.

Congrats on the score optic! Those are very sturdy scopes and served our soldiers well across the middle east. Im told the mx9644 tube in there can take a beating and bright flashes and still keep on putting rounds on target without a hitch.

Plus, im sure someone here knows how to stuff a gen3 in there! B)

Brent.