Solarforce L2X

Adam89

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has purchased this package and what are your opinions on them?

I currently have an Ultrafire Wf-008 and an EagleTac t100c2 mark II. The Ultrafire gives a good spot at distance however the 3 mode starts to get really annoying. The EagleTac is a good quality built torch but the distance the light throws is a bit dissapointing. It has a really good spill and lights up a wide area, just not much of a spot.

It would be appreciated if anyone has any advice on the Solarforce or any of the torches i already have.

Thank you,

Adam

Hi Adam, I have the T100C2 and I'm surprised you are disappointed with the throw - it's one of the better throwing conventional lens smaller torches out there. Mine has the cool white emitter and smooth reflector and I can shoot past 100m with it easily. The XP-E emitter gives a pronounced hotspot and good spill. It's true though that it won't throw like the WF-008, which is a dedicated spot thrower. (I have that too.)

The Pro1 will out throw the WF-008 by a fair margin - a mate of mine has one and it is an awesome bit of gear. You get a powerful spot and a usable spill.

The XP-G dropin that comes in the package is a more floody sort of item - I have one and it does not throw quite as far as the T100c2. It's more of an all around flashlight, as opposed to a spotlight.

Solarforcesales will soon have the new Cree XM-L dropins in stock - these will be around 700 lumens, with a large, bright spot and a lot of spill. I already have an Ultrafire XM-L in a Solarforce L2 and it is a monster. Makes the XP-G and XR-E's I have look dull. But it's not strictly a dedicated thrower and battery life is only about 45mins on high (mine is three mode H-M-L.)

I think that the package you are looking at is extremely good value - not long ago just the Pro1 head was selling for over $100USD.

The beauty of the L2 and P60 lights in general is that you can change the dropin in a few seconds if you want to update or have different characteristics.

As it is, the Pro1 will let you shoot a long way out (centrefire or .17HMR use) and the smaller XP-G setup will be good as a general use torch or for use on a .22 out to about 100m.

Between you and me, I would not be surprised to see Solarforce release the Pro1 at some point in the future with the XM-L emitter in it - this would be a beast.

Fenring, after thinking about it, I really wasn't giving the T100C2 the credit it deserves. For my 22lr it is more than enough and is more suitable than the wf-008. It does shine up a nice area. Of the top of my head I can't recall what configuration I've got on my EagleTac.

I haven't been able to compare my torches to anything but a lightforce 140/170/240 running of the car.

I was thinking about the Solarforce for my .223 for a bit more range. However I did use my wf-008 on tuesday night and took 3 foxes (pics coming soon). A mate who was shooting with us was using my T100C2 on his 17hmr and took a fox and a couple rabbits. I guess it really is just a case of wanting more. Is anyone aware of a red filter that could be placed on the Solarforce? I think that would definitely be a selling point for me.

I've been using those velcro straps for mounting at the moment but are there any good steel torch mounts? I find after hopping in and out of the car it moves a lot.

Adam

Adam, not many LED torches will be as powerful as a 75-100W halogen spotlight with a much bigger reflector.

What they do offer, is total protability that lets you get to spots on foot where a vehicle won't access. And of course to be mounted on your gun with no fuss and not even a separate battery pack to carry. The good ones really do let you shoot as far as you need to most of the time.

The Solarforce Masterpiece does need a high, solid mount as it's much bigger up front and a tad heavier.

This one works OK. (down the page)

http://accurateshooters.australianwebsitedevelopment.com.au/Tactical-Torches.html

This one is also good.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33755