Time To Get My Lifetime Knife.

Hairyhunter

Thanks Tezza, sounds like you have some great blades yourself.

I checked out the Jap stones they look like excellent stones. I currently use Arkansas Stones and have about 1/2 a dozen different ones, they seem to do the job. I also got sucked into a couple of knife sharpening systems which I have yet to use. It has always seemed like a bit of a hassle to set them up. I seem to be able to put an edge on the blade, that I can shave with, once I learned how to sharpen them properly. I think you will agree that the technique is at least as important, if not more, than the sharpening medium. I have seen a you-tube vid of a guy getting a shaving sharp edge on smooth concrete.

How do you compare your stones to Arkansas stones? Do you think I would get a noticeably better result? I have my eye on the 8000 grit stone, which grades do you use?

Also I am researching how to sharpen this bloody friction forged Diamond blade, It is currently new and shaving sharp, but I expect that once I hack into a few bones and antlers it might need a touch up, bit I need some diamond based medium for an RC of 65-68 steel I think.

The main thing I am also struggling with is to get over the psychological barrier, not stuffing them into my collectors box and taking them out onto the field to see some action. I actually like to buy some used knives as it does not break my heart taking them out and actually continuing to use them.

I think your definately right about the technique being equally, if not more, important than the medium. My technique isn't that great and i'm not a great fan of sharpening knives. If the Arkansas stones work, as they have for thousands of people for many many years, then I probably wouldn't splurge on the Japanese Whetstones. I do think though that they give a better polish........is it noticeable enough to warrant splurging on them........probably not. I didn't have any Arkansas stones of my own, used to use the old boys, so when I needed to get some for myself I got the Jap Whetstones instead. I haven't been dissapointed. I have a 400, 1000 and 3000 grit. I can only imagine how fine a polish an 8000 grit would provide.

I've messed around with one of those sharpening systems........it hasn't seen the light of day for a fair while. It does seem to be more trouble than it's worth.

Mate, I can definately relate about actually taking things into the field to use. I'm really bad for it myself. I bought my Mora for that reason, it has a brilliant but simple stainless laminate blade, with a scanti grind. Sharp as a razor and I couldn't give a #### if it get's abit dinged up.

I'll be interested to hear how you tackle sharpening the Diamond Blade. I've been looking on there website since you posted the picture of yours..........i'm trying to be strong, but it's hard. I'm blaming you if I get one.

Cheers.

Tez

.i'm trying to be strong, but it's hard. I'm blaming you if I get one.

Cheers.

Tez

Tez, a word of advice, It's a month of Fridays out on the weez, maybe less. Be good to yourself and get one.

If I had it over I would have spent the extra on the exact model I want, because now I have to buy another two. A caper and the other I haven't decided yet. But having said that, I don't regret the P.D. 1 either, it's the Hell survival knife. The stuff I have cut with it against all my best knives just tells me that it's not just hype.

Blame me! biggrin.giflaugh.gif