Hunting Packs/bum Bags

Bish

Hi Guys, I've been given a voucher for christmas at a store that sells stoney creek stuff and the only thing I can think of to get is a small bum bag or pack. At the moment I'm simply using a $7 bumbag from K-mart, which works fine, however I was wondering if anyone has used a 'magnum waistbag' a 'Bumbag' or a 'Streamline' (bumbag, camelbak and day pack) from Stoney Creek. I was thinking I could maybe use one of these for my longer walks and keep my K-mart bumbag for short walks.

All advice or other 'outdoor' kit that I may not have thought of welcome. I do obviously have the basic camo and hunting kit, but this is an outdoor store rather than a hunting store, other wise it would be easy.

Gday Bish,

I use a bum bag that I got in the US, dont know the make. It is a medium sized one that has nice big padded straps, its sits over your backside and is super comfy.

I'll try to post some measurements later, it will fit a water bottle on the strap and easily fits a pair of binos, cleaning kit and 20 rnds of ammo with room left over for a field dressing kit and a few small supplies. It also has a strap for a shooting stick.

See if the retailer can get a hold of Blackhawk gear, I think that is the brand.

Cheers and have a great new year

Tadge

Hi Guys, I've been given a voucher for christmas at a store that sells stoney creek stuff and the only thing I can think of to get is a small bum bag or pack. At the moment I'm simply using a $7 bumbag from K-mart, which works fine, however I was wondering if anyone has used a 'magnum waistbag' a 'Bumbag' or a 'Streamline' (bumbag, camelbak and day pack) from Stoney Creek. I was thinking I could maybe use one of these for my longer walks and keep my K-mart bumbag for short walks.

All advice or other 'outdoor' kit that I may not have thought of welcome. I do obviously have the basic camo and hunting kit, but this is an outdoor store rather than a hunting store, other wise it would be easy.

Hi, i dont like waist /bum bags , they seem to always be getting in the way , go for a camelbak I have two, the Camelbak lobo ,2 liters of water basic first aid kit, poncho ,40rounds of ammo , leather man tool and a small uhf radio fit in it, and theres just room for a few snacks, I use the 3L mule version when i want to carry more stuff.

I have a ridgeline 5 pocket bum bag,and a stoney creek DAY HUNTER back pack.The back pack is easier to carry,as the weight over the course of the day isn't noticed as much,but I have found that if I carry the pockets pointed forward on my bumbag,then it is a lot more comfortable,and my back doesn't ache like it used to.

I got a two litre camelback replica off ebay for $25 INC postage as I used to do a lot enduro's on my motorbike and use it now when walking. Not only does it hold 2 ltrs of wateer, it has a nice large compartment that I use to put my firstaid kit, a poncho and lunch. It has two more compartments that you can store smaller items like your mobile, keys, wallet etc in. No signs of wear and tear, the brand is high sierra. thatd be my recommendation.

Thanks heaps for your imput guys, much appreciated.

I didn't think of the camelbaks before as I already have a small 1.5L one that I wear under a camo shirt, but I spose it's a good idea to have it all in one. I think I've decided on the 'raider' camelbak as it has a 2L badder plus 5L storage for my stuff. The other option was the 'ambush' with 3L badder and 2L storage. The 'Mule' looks good too, but perhaps a bit big for my usual outings, but I'm sure it would be handy if you were out and about all day.

Generally I don't have a problem with bumbags, and the ridgeline 5 pocket one was probably my first pick, however the store I have the voucher from doesn't carry ridgeline. I'm also a bit nervous of e-bay as I've gotten some absolute crap off it.

I hunt over hounds in the winter, which can involve a lot of running... I tried a bum bag but the two I had always seemed to slip down and I was constantly adjusting them, so I went back to the backpack.

This year I'm going to add a pouch to my radio harness and see how that goes, or maybe even try some webbing....