Hunting Knives

forgie

I don't see why it wouldn't be legal, but anything classified as a weapon is not legal and some non-metallic knives (eg, ceramic ) are also not legal. Flick knives, double sided and the like are considered weapons.

Check with Customs or Police for information as to what is considered to be a weapon. Weapons require a Form B710.

But a hunting knife isn't necessarily a weapon is it? You can buy them here and carry them appropriately without a permit - something you can't do with knifes that are classified as weapons.

However, I am not a lawyer - don't rely on saying "Dave told me so" to get you out of trouble - :)

David

Update: Does this help?

Details on knife imports

Edited by cj7hawk

A couple of months ago I had purchased some dive gear OS and coming back through BNE Intl airport I declared the dive knives, the customes agent at the time mentioned that had the knives not had serrations on one side then I would have lost them, a mate a month later did have his dive knife confiscated even though it was purchased here :blink:

I would have a good read of this before trying though customs prohibited goods

Hey Diggers,

Just wondering if its legal to buy knives from overseas? if yes what conditions? if not... bugger.

Ive bought 20+ knives from USA, folders, fixed blades and swords, no problems, no forms/permits neccesary.

Just no flick, butterfly, gravity, double edge etc knives allowed, they are stopped at customs, you can obtain certain ones if you are a knife collector with collector club membership i beleive. And have the neccesary permits/documentation.

From what I understand no... but you can with a form from the police station.

Don't know what form however.

Only for certain knives ie, flick, butterfly, gravity, double edge etc.

I don't see why it wouldn't be legal, but anything classified as a weapon is not legal and some non-metallic knives (eg, ceramic ) are also not legal. Flick knives, double sided and the like are considered weapons.

Check with Customs or Police for information as to what is considered to be a weapon. Weapons require a Form B710.

But a hunting knife isn't necessarily a weapon is it? You can buy them here and carry them appropriately without a permit - something you can't do with knifes that are classified as weapons.

However, I am not a lawyer - don't rely on saying "Dave told me so" to get you out of trouble - :)

David

Update: Does this help?

Details on knife imports

I have 2 ceramic knives bought from king of knives right here in aus, definatly no illegal.

Edited by JasonT

I have 2 ceramic knives bought from king of knives right here in aus, definatly no illegal.

Ceramic knives, per se, are not illegal - There are clarifications on the customs site about those, but I believe they add a metallic component into the handle to set off metal detectors - I'd love to know if you're able to test for this -

However, ceramic knives made to be concealed so that they can pass through metal detectors are likely to be confiscated. These have no metal parts.

At least, that's how it was explained to me -

David.

Ceramic knives, per se, are not illegal - There are clarifications on the customs site about those, but I believe they add a metallic component into the handle to set off metal detectors - I'd love to know if you're able to test for this -

However, ceramic knives made to be concealed so that they can pass through metal detectors are likely to be confiscated. These have no metal parts.

At least, that's how it was explained to me -

David.

The ones for sale legally are impregnated with metals.

From wikipedia

"Ceramic knives present a security problem as ceramics are not detectable by metal detectors. To hinder misuse of concealed knives many manufacturers include some metal to ensure that they are detectable by standard equipment. Ceramic knives can be detected by extremely high frequency scanners (e.g. millimeter wave scanners) and X-ray backscatter scanners."

ok sweet. thanks guys. is there any blabe length restrictions?

these were the two i was looking at..

boker Damascus

browning mountain Ti

No length restrictions as far as i know.

Both those links are the same, i wouldn't waste my money on that knife.

Heres some good places to buy knives. Once you start its hard to stop lol...

http://www.cuttingedgeknives.com.au/

http://www.urbanconquest.com.au/

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/