Powabeam Vs Lightforce

Jase

Guys,

I am wanting to get a remote handle spotlight. Some people have suggested a powabeam but no one has mentioned models. I have a lightforce 140 on the rifles as a walkabout, but need something with a bit more power.

I want to get a good amount of throw, say 500 yards or so, but I dont want to lose the short distance spread too much. It has to be a combo sort of thing that goes the distance but isn't a 2m spot at 500 yards. Powabeam make a HID model which would give out whiter light which I light, but again back to the spread and spot to cover everywhere I might shoot.

Suggestions?

Oh, and I am not drilling holes in the roof, it will be one of the ones that has a removable frame in the window.

Jase

I'm looking at the same set up your thing of Jase as well and i'm considering the lightforce because of its weight. I remember years and years ago when we used to go hunting with i think it was a powerbeam, our arms would get sore after awhile from holding it up. It was pretty heavy. But as you said your going to mount it on the door frame with the remote handle, id still go the lightforce. Although it has the dark spot in the centre of the beam some blokes here say you just pull the globe out a touch and that fixes that. Plus the lightforce is cheaper.Ive seem the SL240 for $135 somewhere in sydney.

i have had a lightforce and now have a power beam 9" i think it is, i think u only need the HID one if your are shooting/hunting professionally or you can afford it lol but otherwise the one i have is great.

yeap i have the biggest power beam 210 i think it is the biggest one. it is great i love it, it does max out at about a 1000meters though as this is by the stage u are behind the light and the particles in the air stop u from seeing. however we use it for hunting rabbits around a few houses so at like 25 to 50 meters and it works great at the short distance to.

a few complaints though. it can get heavy if u are trying to hold it out the window and drive. however we have dropped it off the ute loaded everything in the tool box ontop of it and not a scratch. the handle is slightly to large for a really comfy grip but would buy it again.

best part is it keeps your hands warm in winter when u hold it.

tariadamar:

1km is a long way, is that just with the standard halogen version or the HID one?

Dazz:

How far do you reckon you can see with the 9"?

I run a 11" Powerbeam on my ute. They are a big heavy light, but give good long range preformance. Run side by side they give better range than the 240 Lightforce IMHO. The downside is the light spread is a tad on the small side at closer distances, a bit too small at times.

Realisticaly it would have to be a very clear night to be usable (as in taking a shot :unsure: ) at a true 500m, but you will pick fox eyes at this distance.

yeap thats the one the 11" halogen it is great and yeap upto a kilometer is how far u can pick up things. u could never shoot that far as it is not clear as the light really distorts your view even at 500 meters as stated, it is the particles in the air reflect light back so u cannot see properly. if one guys is using the light and u are 100 meters to the left u can see really clear cause u are not in the path of the beam. i was bored one night while driving around mountain tops and wondered how good one of these lights are.

i have the lightforce 240 for driving lights they are the same as the spot lights and has nothing on the power beam.

i think mine was just over 200 bucks.

I went out with the Pro-9 Last night and it could not reach 1000 meters. It would be pushin #### up hill to reach 500 meters.

I noticed there was a "focusing guide" in there. Did you have to do anything to get a nice focused spot? Last night I was running out of light at only about 200 meters.

Don't get me wring, its a nice peice of kit... but my Night Hunter pack from lightforce, mounted on the rifle powered from a battery could go out to those distances.

Jase

nah i done nothing i just went hunting found i hadn't attached the aligator clips for the battery so i smacked them on with a rock. 18 months and going strong.

as for range i have used ours more than once out at about the 350 to 400 meter mark. cause their are 2 or 3 fox's left on our proerty and that is the only distance we can shot them at. oh and no they don't come to a whistel or anything we got all of those.

The focusing guide tells how to adjust the bulb if its changed, ie to remove the black spot from the centre of the beam. You should only need to do this if the bulb has been changed, they come from the factory pre focused.

Well I'm not impressed. Everything I read indicated that these powabeam Pro 9's were the bees knees. I didn't get the expected result so I shot an email off to PowaBeam to ask what distance I might expect to get from this light.

They advised that I wouldn't get 800 Meters out of this light an then followed to say, and I quote:

"If the focus is to your satisfaction, the distance you are getting from the light is expected for a PRO-9 Halogen light. "

I have to add at this point that the reason they don't/can't/won't give an expected distance is:

"Each reflector is individually spun and focussed. Each spotlight is individually focused in our warehouse to maximum performance. So no Spotlight will be the same and it is hard to specify exact distances."

They indicated that there were no HID kits available, and that if I wanted more distance then I should have purchased the Pro 9 HID.

I responded saying how vauge that was, and that I am not impressed, but infact quite disappointed with my purchase. I suggested that the put some beam shots in the website, or even something like an indicative number of a distance you might expect to get, even if it's a conservative distance.

I am considering selling this light and getting a lightforce. I could easily throw a spot beam driving light from Lightforce on my handle and use a combo filter to get a little more spill.

Pretty sad to say the least. To those considering purchasing a Powa-Beam: Don't do it untill you actually SEE the beam at night. I wasn't able to see it operating, nor could find any videos. My fault yeah and I accept that. But definately a warning to others considering the Powa-Beam Range. I certainly don't want to misrepresent Powa-Beam here. Clearly they make a good light, well built and all.... just not what I expected from a company with such a good reputation.

Jase

Edited by Jase

Jase don't get caught up in big distance. Your light will be fine for shooting critters at 200mtrs, and spotting things at 400mtrs. You don't need anymore than that mate.....

200 - 300mtrs is a long way shooting under the light.

Jase don't get caught up in big distance. Your light will be fine for shooting critters at 200mtrs, and spotting things at 400mtrs. You don't need anymore than that mate.....

200 - 300mtrs is a long way shooting under the light.

Agree

My old Powerbeam 7" handheld would quite easy go 200m, so i'm a bit suprised at your results with the 9" Pro. Are you getting full battery voltage to the globe? If using a ciggy lighter plug, ditch it for something better. If using clips on the battery, check for good connections. Check voltage at the globe with car running, you should be getting 13.5v +.

Automotive 12v globes are designed to run at 13.2v. A drop in voltage to 11v (quite easy with a doggey plug or bad connection) will see light output drop something like 50%.