Knives Off Ebay..

paulmor07

I am looking at purchasing some knives off ebay and I remember reading somewhere you need some type of license to import/order knives online. Is this information correct or am I way off (I hope I am because I don't want to pay for more licences....)

Thanks for your knowledge once again,

Paul.

ps. these are two that I am looking at. Just want some cheapish knifes to take hunting that I won't be to stressed about if I lose. I have plenty of folding knives but this time I'm after a fixed blade for a change.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280544132700&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_10024wt_1137

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220649565241&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_601wt_1137

Importing yes, ordering no. If it's being shipped from somewhere in australia, then all they have to do is (some freight companies need this some dont) dangerous goods declarations.

My fixed blade was a 60 dollar job from the LGS, works wonders, so very sharp. Better than my $140 buck knife.

Jase

No need to be licensed unless you want to own Automatics and Balisongs etc.

Some knives require permits to be released from customs if the knife is coming from overseas.

Double edge (aka daggers), swords etc. are ok in Vic provided you are a member of the AKC, but this is for collection purposes only and you need to apply for a B709B permit (state) and a B710 permit (federal) if it is to be coming from overseas.

Both of the knives in question could be imported from overseas without any special permits or licenses ALTHOUGH the first one does have an obvious top swedge which has given people grief from time to time as customs can be a little funny on what they deems 'double edged' or 'easily sharp-enable' (so as to make the knife double edged) resulting in them labeling them a restricted weapon and the above permits would be required for its release.

As these knives are already located in Australia there is no need to worry about 'customs' pulling them up but you still need to make sure you are allowed to own the specific type of knife but again as above, neither of the knives you have linked to are restricted or prohibited types.

In general the laws on knives / prohibited weapons are somewhat vague and really open to interpretation so as to give the police etc. the ability to assess any incidents on a case by case basis IMO.

Personally, id stick with more traditional looking hunting and bush-craft knives over a more tactical looking knives as one is far less likely to draw unwanted attention when carrying and using them in the bush.

Travis.

Thanks for the replies guys, I had guessed I would be safe getting them from Aus but I also found lower prices on similar knives in America. I think I'll stick to the Aus stores anyway just to cut down the postage time.

What I read must have been about the Balisongs like you said Travis as I have looked up some similar knives to those before.

Personally, id stick with more traditional looking hunting and bush-craft knives over a more tactical looking knives as one is far less likely to draw unwanted attention when carrying and using them in the bush.

I prefer the traditional look too; the 'tactical' style do look a little bit conspicuous and the black coated stuff looks horrible after a couple of sharpens..

Another I was looking at was: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280546417595&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_10729wt_1137

But I do prefer a sharper point on my general purpose knives as it makes delicate work much easier.

Jase - I have to agree with you there, most of my knives were pretty cheap and they hold an edge quite well. They might not be quite the quality of a $150 knife but they are close enough and at the rate I lose them I'm quite happy sacrificing that small amount of extra quality :P

Edited by paulmor07

A membership to the AKC no longer covers sword ownership in Victoria Travis unfortunately. The Sword Collectors Guild membership does though. Provided you apply for the prohibited weapons permit to the Police Comissioner

A membership to the AKC no longer covers sword ownership in Victoria Travis unfortunately.

Why is that - I havn't heard of any sword attacks lately

The AKC got sick of people only joining their club to get the permit for buying swords is what it says on their website. Which is fair enough