Cheap Range Finder

I have done a search and not quite found what I was looking for. I'm after opinions on using budget range finders within 100-350ish metres.

I know everyone says spend more and get a quality one but in all honesty I just want to try one out and see if I would actually use/see if it actually improves my holdovers etc..

So basically I'm after opinions on cheaper models in midrange use and how they perform. I really don't want to be paying more than 150-200 max so I'm talking low end stuff here. If I find out ones for that price are total rubbish I will wait until I'm willing to spend more but that wont e anytime soon.

Also wondering where to look for a second hand one, I tried eBay in Aus and USA. Bugger all in Aus and most cheap ones in the US don't post internationally.

g,day,i just picked one up from ebay,bushnell yardage pro trophy- does mtr or yards,5-800mtr, 300 MTR to deer (as there not very reflective) AND IT WAS $150 PLUS $10 POST.

It wasnt selling as he had $20 express post but when i emailed and asked for $10 registered it was here in two days.

was looking for a while though.

cheers scott

When I emailed the seller above he said he would be able to sell me the product for $150aud including postage. He also mentioned that this will not include any import fee's/taxes if they apply in aus...

Does anyone know about these fee's and if they apply/how much they would be? Or even who to call to find out?

I'm also a little worried about not having heard of the brand.. Maybe a cheap bushnel would be the way to go Scott, have you had a chance to give yours a go yet? I'll only be using it for bunnies/foxes/targets and mostly for fun for the time being.

Edited by paulmor07

paul,i have only used mine to range out 100mtr for sighting in my .308,worked well,and ive ranged across the paddock from my house to the farm house at 325mtr also worked well.

havnt tried it on anything dangerous or delicious yet. but happy none the less.

He also mentioned that this will not include any import fee's/taxes if they apply in aus...

Does anyone know about these fee's and if they apply/how much they would be? Or even who to call to find out?

Not at that price.$500+ may spark some interest,in these cases, ask them to mark the value under 500

I have a bushnell legend arc that I got from the states for 230 deliverd. Little more than your ebay unit, but very good quality, measurs in meters and yards. Also has about 12 programs in it for telling you your bullet drop at the ranged distance. Is pretty accurate if you match weight/speed to the programs.

Agree with Archeenemy re customes fees. I've bought in heaps of stuff under 500 and not been hit once. I think the figure is actually 1000 from memory.

Cheers,

Jase

Was a cheap find on ebay when the dollar was good.

Try before you buy, whether new or second hand, as a lot do not work well in typical hunting situations; reading the range off an animal's hide in brush, rain etc, despite having the various modes of operation designed to meet such situations.

I have one that I seldom use, save in the mountains after game that's above the tree line.

Mind you, it can be useful for training yourself to estimate distances for yourself, in various circumstances.

You could try this one from USA:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/bushnell.pl?page=bushnell201916

US $185

I have used this comapny twice before no problems for binoculars & a range finder.

I started with a Nikon 400yd then went to a Leica 900yd. Both work very well, I keep the Nikon as a back up now.

The Range finder, in conjunction with a range chart (list of elevation adjustments) has given me the confidence to tackle longer shots (250yds+) and score with both my 223 & 6.5x55.

ETR