Led Lenser X21

Curly1

Picked up an X21 yesterday at the LGS and all I can say is Holy Cr@p!

What an awesome bit of gear. Had a play with it last night and it clearly illuminated the top of the local water tower where I live. Got the 223 out of the gunsafe and cranked the scope up to 10 power and could clearly make out the handrails at the top of the tower.

I got the rangefinder out this morning and ranged it at 356 yards.

I reckon it's got to be close to the ultimate walkaround spotlight in conjunction with a scope mounted led torch.

Cheers.

The X21 is amazingly bright. Led lenser have a hefty price tag but when it comes to glass quality and spot range they are no.1 IMHO. I am still amazed at my P7, i find the intensiy of the white light illuminates eyes better than my LF lance 140! Post some pics of beam if you can. Does the X21 have a slide focus for tighter spot?

FYI http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160489826389&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Got one from this seller, he is very good! shipped quickly,no hassles whatsoever. Went into LGS's before I went to ebay and they were all quoting about $550 plus they would have to order it in so would take a week anyway. Took overnight from this guy....

VERY amazing piece of kit. I also have the P7 (and a p14 :o ) slung under my walkaround rifle and in conjunction they are deadly!

Look around and you can get a great deal!

Happy hunting

Edit, typo's

Edited by ozhunt13

FYI http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160489826389&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Got one from this seller, he is very good! shipped quickly,no hassles whatsoever. Went into LGS's before I went to ebay and they were all quoting about $550 plus they would have to order it in so would take a week anyway. Took overnight from this guy....

VERY amazing piece of kit. I also have the P7 (and a p14 :o ) slung under my walkaround rifle and in conjunction they are deadly!

Look around and you can get a great deal!

Happy hunting

Edit, typo's

Do you use the P14 under your rifle?

Do you use the P14 under your rifle?

Hi mate, nope use the p7 under my rifle with the mount and switch. But I also have a P14! Cause you never know when you'll need one! :D

P7 is good out to about 100 metres for shooting with the scope. Anything more and its not ideal. You can see 150m+ for sure but I'd rather someone put the P14 or X21 onto the critter for that!

I just love the LED LENSER torches so much I had to get all the great ones!

If you get an X21 there is no way in hell you could be disappointed!

For all you blokes wishing for an X21, don't fall for all the hype. They're a nice bit of gear I agree, but just want to chuck in my $2.10c.

I have one which we have just started using for walking night hunts and stock inspections and although it's a great torch, it's not as good as what it's advertised as.

I bought mine from Qld Gun Exchange for $490, which is about $70 more than I could've got it from Ebay but so what, I got a bit of a relationship going at a few LGS's and it's a small price to pay for ease of warranty, look before you fork out etc.

Anyway, the QGE ad in the Aust. Shooter is certainly misleading, it states "500m range". Quite simply, it goes that far, but not how you'd expect. The light goes that far, sure, but after 300m (from a leupold rangefinder check) it's barely adequate to make out a fox at all in the grass without a scope or binos, where on the same animal illuminated by a Lightforce SL240 on the vehicle roof is clearly identifiable with the naked eye before you bring up the rifle to aim. Eyes sure, but not body.

Light travelled, and useable light are two different things entirely.

Marketing in action, no lies there, but not quite true either.

On my ute I have two SL240's with 100W conventional halogen bulbs in them, run off a 120AH deep cycle battery, and one of these lights absolutely kills the X21 for useable range (and that's the key) so don't trade in your spotties just yet. Christ, I wish I'd invested in some HID kits for the SL240's by now.

In fact, my Lightforce Enforcer, with it's battery-drill like in-the-handle battery pack and 35W bulb actually is a better shooting light, throwing a tighter spot further than the X21, cheaper too by about 100 bucks.

The Enforcer has 3 LED's around the main bulb to conserve power whilst walking around as well.

That brings me to the main reason why this torch isn't so good at using the 1068 lumens it supposedly has - focus. The focus adjustment at the end just doesn't pull the light to a tight enough spot to get the range that it could have. If I wind an SL240's focus back to a similar spot size as the X21 has at it's tightest, the X21 is brighter than the halogen Lightforce, but wastes it's light over a too large angle because you cannot make the best use of the torches power. The X21 cannot focus it's spot enough to get as much range as the SL240 does when wound right in tight.

You don't need a 100m wide flood at the torches tightest focus at 300m when you're spotighting, you want the ability to bring the focus right in for the best range, I do anyway.

When you see it next to the Enforcer for $300+, which has a better range for spotlight shooting, that puts it into perspective for me.

I said to a mate when we were walking around the other night with the X21 and some rifles with P7's on top of the scopes, did he think this light is 4-5 times brighter to his eyes than the 200 lumen P7's and he said, absolutely not. To our eyes, twice maybe three times maybe?

Now you might say to me, so what, this torch throws light as far as you can accurately aim a rifle anyway to hit consistently, but the point is, at 400m let alone the 500m advertised range this is supposed to have, we couldn't make out whether that stump was a pig, a log, whatever. And roos couldn't be made out as roos with the X21 until they hopped, whereas with the SL240's they were clearly visible as roos even without their eye reflection.

For a 4 D cell torch, the X21 is pretty flash, very bright and very useful, but it's not in any way worth $400, let alone $490, for what you get for your money taking into account what you're promised, especially when compared as apples-for-apples with the cheaper portable battery powered Enforcer. Buy one by any means if you must have one. I understand that when someone forks out that sort of money for a torch, one generally likes to justify that sort of money to one's self and to their mates by saying how great it is, but I just thought I'd better give a different perspective to those who think they're missing out cos they don't have one.

I'd say, if that's the way they are gonna be made, wait for 2000+ lumens to hit the lineup.

I said to a mate when we were walking around the other night with the X21 and some rifles with P7's on top of the scopes, did he think this light is 4-5 times brighter to his eyes than the 200 lumen P7's and he said, absolutely not. To our eyes, twice maybe three times maybe?

at 400m let alone the 500m advertised range this is supposed to have, we couldn't make out whether that stump was a pig, a log, whatever. And roos couldn't be made out as roos with the X21 until they hopped, whereas with the SL240's they were clearly visible as roos even without their eye reflection.

For a 4 D cell torch, the X21 is pretty flash, very bright and very useful, but it's not in any way worth $400, let alone $490, for what you get for your money taking into account what you're promised, especially when compared as apples-for-apples with the cheaper portable battery powered Enforcer.

That really is comparing apples to oranges. The whole point of the X21 is that it is the best and brightest handheld LED torch. It is not like the Lightforce models which you are comapring it to as the X21 uses D cells inside the torch and is very streamline, while the lightforce uses is very bulky. Also, IMO it is much easier to spot game and differentiate colour when using white light from LEDs or HIDs as opposed to yellow which blends in with the colour of a lot of game, leaf litter, dry grass and trees. Add the conversion onto the lightforce and you're looking at more than you can get an X21 for.

I can also imagine that the Lightforce wouldn't last nearly as long as the X21 on the battery when you're powering a 100W globe.

I do agree there could be a tad more focus on the X21 but we've never had trouble picking out game. I don't find it hard to whack up a pair of binos or a scope to check whether its a stump or not, we do this multiple times every trip out, even under 100m.

I find the comparing a P7 at 100m to the X21 it blows it away, the X21 comes into its own out past 100m where all other lights fail. We were also contemplating getting a walkaround Lightforce but not since we've used the X21.

Guys I've used the X21 (my uncles) for spotting with bunnies and it was fantastic. Got to say it is a big torch did get heavy after a couple hours. I was pretty keen on getting one till I found out the price, so I did a bit of searching and found this deal out there...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/coast-flashlights-by-price-10.html

If your ok with ordering from USA the deal is $299US for the X21 with a FREE T7. Once you go through the buying process on their website add this coupon code : opiv5of and get another 5% off.

Once you add shipping - $64 and minus the 5% the total is $348.99US which is roughly $360AU

Not bad for both torches - delivered

i dont think its a chinese copy i think its made by the same company with a factory in china. the better models are made in germany. some people have said they cant notice any difference in performance. my mate just got one of the good ones and im waiting on one which i picked up off ebay for $30 posted so ill compare them and let u know.