Cheap Night Vision Alternative ?

vicfox

Reading the posts on the laser lights where most are using the <$40 50mW unit they are reporting them to be more effective than the ND3 which although quote good for 250 mtrs they fall well short.

Disappointed to see that laser pointers are restricted when it comes to import and don't know if I'll got to the trouble of applying for a permit to import though but like the idea of not spooking game [FOXES, WILDDOGS] like conventional lights have the habbit of doing without the big dollars.

I think we'd be dreaming to expect NV equiptment to come down to anything like LED gear.

The general rule is that if you can see it, the fox/rabbit/dog can see it much better and will still spook.

There are some who regularly use Gen1/Active IR for hunting and say it too spooks the animals, though it's hotly debated.

On the other hand, passive NV is very effective and I can walk to within 50m of a gun-shy fox with regularity and that's with me stomping around like an elephant.

I'd love to see the prices come down too ( and that's why I've been teaching people to make their own military-quality NV for a few hundred dollars ) but the truth is that the top kit does work exceptionally well and is very popular in countries other than Australia. In the UK, NV is very widely used from air-rifles upwards and in the US, many have better equipment than much of their own military have.

I guess an investment in quality NV gear is like buying a quality rifle. It's something you do once and then you use it as a tool. Being able to effectively hunt at night is the most effective way to eliminate pests and if most of your shooting is done at night and you're finding that spotlighting is a limitation, then it's worth considering :)

Regards

David