Confused About Hunting Lights

wally

I had a brief search on this forum and there wasnt to much information about the hunting lights.

I go hunting about 1-2 times a year, and i dont like to keep bugging friends about using there hunting lights. So i decided to buy my own.

I plan to put/bolt two lights over a roof rack on a suitable car?

From my research on this forum it sounds that the round lights are the best. Where should i buy the lights from? Is supercheap auto good? I walk in there and dont know what to look for.

What about the watts etc?

Or should i shop around repco?

What beam should i buy?

I hope you guys can take time and give me the best advice.

if your only hunting a couple of times a year then supercheap might be a good option. because my lights get such a workout i went higher up the chain to a 4x4shop (4 lights cost me just shy of 800).

my set up is two pencil and two spread and i find this works well for me.

if your only putting on two lights maybe opt for a set that can switch from spot to spread by fitting a lense spreader.

or sometimes you can pick up some good second handers on here.

Hazedog

are you after spotties for your car

or spotlights to spot light with ??? i have confused myself with my question but i hope you know what i mean

i have found with the cheaper hand helds even though it had massive candle power ( or so they claimed ) it didn't seem to hold stuff in the light as good as a lightforce handheld

but as Haze said $$$$$ over ammount of use

my mates have spent the $$ so i just sit back and reap the rewards :D

same as balty.

are we talking driving lights or spotlights

driving lights are as simple as you get what you pay for. if your prepared to spend

the dough stick to hella, ipf, and lightforce. but be wary of mounting on roll bars or roof racks. cause the first low branch you go under will move them and the second will tear them off if the first doesnt.

Spotlights are a different kettle of fish. if your only spotlighting twice a year go to your nearest hunting supplier and get a small hand held Powa Beam. set you back just over $100. great lights. I shot pro with one for ages.Since upgraded.

Im not talking about the hand held spot lights.

For eg when i went hunting with my brother in law, he had two round lights bolted on a roof rack which he placed on top on the car. It was removable and took it down when we finished hunting. He had some leads coming out from the lights and into the dash somewhere. He could turn the lights whatever direction he wanted, and could also turn them off via a switch he had.

I understand where some of you guys are coming from, in regards to them maybe being damaged in schrub, but i thought they worked excellent. And thats why i want to build some like them.

Im just looking for the most suitable lights.

:D Im knew to the site, had my gun licence for about 6 years now. Recently been out spotlighting with a mate. He uses lightforce and i agree, they are by far the best.

There the brightest and will last you 10-15 years. he said they're pretty pricy but its worth the buy if your serious about hunting.

Have you heard of them?

Recently been out spotlighting with a mate. He uses lightforce and i agree, they are by far the best.

There the brightest and will last you 10-15 years. he said they're pretty pricy but its worth the buy if your serious about hunting.

Have you heard of them?

did you mean a nighteater spottie? thats what i use and are way far betta than the lightforce

Gday.

For roo shooting or piggin from a vechile eaither with dogs or rifles powerbeam is a good option. I use powerbeam remote spotlight, the big round silver one, which i can turn on or off in the cab which is handy. Nite eaters are far the best but are pricey, there great dont get me wrong but u really only need one if u r shooting longer distance then wat the powerbeam offers. There is also nuthing wrong with lightforce.

Just remember u will get for wat u pay for.

NightHunter,

NiteEater spotties are designed by and for roo shooters. they are by far and away the best spotlight for shooting under. However, there is no one im aware of that can consistantly shoot to even 3/4 the length of the beam. In a good scope you can clearly see targets at 1-1.2km. Also the price tag is pretty scary. The small one start at about $600. big ones fetch $900+.

The big Powerbeam($120+) and big Lightforce($150+) get aboutr half of that. and again very few people can consistanly head shoot at that range. The smaller Powabeam and lightforce are ideal for the keen spotlighter. provided ample light to 400m to shoot under and dont cost an arm and a leg. Around the ($100+)mark.

Cheers J

What sort of candle power should i be getting for a handheld spotty for the back of the ute ?? i have used a cheap spotty that just didn't hold them

what power in either Candle power or Watts do you consider suitable

Balty Posted on Nov 8 2006, 09:59 AM

What sort of candle power should i be getting for a handheld spotty for the back of the ute ?? i have used a cheap spotty that just didn't hold them

what power in either Candle power or Watts do you consider suitable

Mate i honestly couldnt tell you in candle power. dont know if they rate these in candle power. Had to check on the wattage for ya to.(shows how much notice i take)

POWABEAM- 5in 145mm-100w bulb

- 7in 175mm-100w bulb

- 9in 245mm-100w bulb

LIGHTFORCE- 140 lance-75w

- 170Striker-100w

- 240 blitz - 100w

Depending on how much you want to spend. any of the above will do the job in fine style. probably steer clear of the handheld ones from supercheap or repco. have seen these rated to 2million candle power but not be able to spot a fox at 200m.

Not sure on the BlazaLights. But have heard they are good value.

Cheers j

I USE A POWER BEAM MOUNTED THROUGH THE ROOF EXCELLENT LIGHT

WE HAVE FITTED ANOTHER ALTERNATOR WHICH WE HAVE MODIFIED TO GIVE US MORE VOLTS WHICH GIVES US A MORE WHITE LIGHT

I HAVE USED THIS SYSTEM FOR YEARS

BEING IN THE AUTO TRADE HELPS US WITH ALL THESE MODS

ITS A MINEFIELD OUT THERE BUT IF YOU CAN FIND A SMART AUTO ELECT HE COULD HELP YOU GET THE BEST OUT OF THE LIGHT YOU BUY

CHEERS ROO

No dusty, i meant LF. Whats better about nighteater?

We are talking about a spottie for the keen shooter not the pro kangaroo shooter

nighthunter for starters im not a pro rooshooter (not yet anyway),i use a nite eater for piggin for the last 18 months, before that i had a power beam, then a lightforce, dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with these 2 lights, as said before by other people the nite eater is far brighter than the other lights, witch i find if your in a big stubble paddock you can tell the difference between a big pig to a calf at a fair distance, where the other lights are fading out and your thinking hmmmm whats that, the nite eater you can tell the difference to some degree.

In your first reply you said "the lightforce are the brightest and pretty pricy but there worth the buy if your serious about hunting", then you change it and say "talking about a spottie for a keen shooter" 2 different statments, yea if serious about hunting then put the $$$ into it, and if your a keen shooter buy what ever you want, i will say it again there is nothing wrong with lightforce or power beam.

I prefer to use nite eater but thats me and everyone is different.

LIghtforce are the lightest hand held light and isnt that what you would want, esp if not much differene in light output?

They come with battery packs too. Would you want to be able to have light carried with you outside the car as well? I dont think they are that heavy? Any reports on this?? B)