Is This Knife Ok?

let_go345

i would be making sure of the location -- the dude looks to be in the USA but item location Australia ( weird ) ***** edited - i just had a look its shipping from the US- there shouldn't be issues customs wise *****

i find the serations make it a pain in the coit to sharpen

yeh, ur probably right, there is a bit of negative feedback of people who havnt recived there items. i emailed him the day of the sale asking him to hold the item so i could buy another knife and combine shipping. never replied. i tried twice since then and on monday got an item shipped notice..... not happy. but if the knife is ok. itll be worth 27.45

James

I own a BM Rant Bowie which is 440c.... I dropped it and snapped its tip off... I was pretty angry and thought the steel was pretty weak. When I asked the knife gurus/makers they all said 440 is one of the best cheaper steels... it's tough and easy to sharpen, holds and edge well.

If you think sharpening 440 is hard.... give S30V or VG10 a go. :D Took me half a bloody day to sharpen my 210TK with a Lansky, and that's a pretty small knife.

lamanna

have shapened s230v, and agree it was bloody hard. any 440 stainless ive been involved with havnt held edges well. even after the process of putting a good bevel on it.

im a solingen steel fan myself. some of the best knives ive owned.

how do ya like the Lansky? never used one. still scaping away on an arkinsaw stone.

There are a number of grades of 440 stainless, and you can bet your balls that when the ad doesn’t designate which grade you are getting it will be 440a. 440 is stainless but as a knife steel it is practically useless. It is used by these guys so they can sell knives to punters for $10.

Do yourself a favour and save your money for a better knife. You can get great deals on genuine manufacturer knives from plenty of US online knife shops.

Search around the net until you find the knife you like and then go to the manufacturers website to find the links to the dealers.

The Lansky is quite nice. Not goot for large blades... 4 inch is usually the longest. I've got all my knives razor sharp on it.

There's not too many mass produced knives I want any more. Maybe the RAT3 in D2, a few others.... But I really want a few Bark River and Bob Dozier.

For $500+ you'd hope not. :)

The knife nuts rave about them. They make mantle piece ones but most people who buy the regular Sebenza put them through a lot of work, they've got a lifetime guarantee.

Regular

http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenza.htm

Wood/Leather Inlay

http://www.chrisreeve.com/classic.htm

I just got a package in the mail 10 minutes ago. :D :D :D

Boker Subcom F - $30

Byrd Cara Cara - $30

Two outstanding knives for their price. I've got quite a few $100+ knives and these #### all over them. The Cara Cara is somewhere around the 9" mark opened... should have probably got the smaller Medowlark that's 7". Ah well, next time. :)

Oops my bad, I mixed the links up.... you probably noticed anyway(the wood inlay didn't have wood inlay and the regular did :P)

$500 is a lot to spend but if you ever wreck, you'd get one back almost brand new. I don't think the money is much of a problem compared to making the choice of which to get once you have it. :)