Window Mount Spottie. Who Uses One ?

JoshM

Had a search around bit couldn't find what info I was after.

Who currently uses or has used in the past a window mount spottie ? What are the good and bad points of using one ??

I'm not interested in suction cap/magnet ones.

Been using one for a couple of years now. I find it good to use. Works best when you have the passenger shooting while I drive and spot. Can shoot with it but the bar does get in the road on some occasions. Quick and Easy to install in any vehicle and swings with the door when opened. Recommend it over the suction cups.

I used to use one, and in the end went in roof mount....which I much prefer. Warmer hand too, something to think about when its in the minus's outside.

90% of the time, I spotlight alone, and just find the roof mount more practicle.

I found that the light moving as the door was opened was a PITA.

Reflection on windscreen is no worse than roof mount. I always carry window cleaner and paper towel for if/when it becomes and issue. Dust/dirt on the windscreen is the biggest issue there.

Cheers mate. Yeah roof mount isn't an option at the moment.

I got one of the Powabeam window setups as part of a rifle purchase, I haven't used it as yet, but I have used them before, they can get in the way to some degree but it's like anything once you use it for a while you can compensate for any shortfalls. I've also used the Suction Cup type mounts and the one we used (Lightforce) was a PITA as it would let go all the time requiring us to stop and stuff around time and time again.

I reckon the Magnetic type are the go if you can, also I see on another forum one of the members is in the process of making up a remote type mount system for spotlights I will be looking at one of those when I and if he puts them into production - I think they will be magnetically mounted too.

Edited by SHOOT-IT

Hi

I use a Lightforce gas strut version similar to this.Has been exceptional and caused no problem. I have both green and red lens filters also.

23072c17_zps48849409.jpg

Regards

Thanks for the Feedback guys.

Yeah Suction and Magnet are no good for me, some of my mates have roof racks and things that can get in the way and I want to be able to use it on their cars too.

I actually went to Holts today and Brought a setup just like yours Cammo. Already have the Lightforce SL170 to go with it and also found Holts to be the cheapest after going to 3 different gun shops in 3 different towns. Geese they have a heap of stuff in there i spent 20mins just looking around wishing a had a couple of thousand to spend.

Anyway ill give some feedback when I get to use it next weekend.

Yeah we use one that's pretty similar to that photo Cammo posted. The only issue we have with it is that it points slightly upwards when trying to look on the opposite side of the car, so it's hard to get a decent view of the ground on one side of the car. It's not my setup so I haven't had a close look at it, so not sure why it does this. Could just be the angle of the window you mount it in, but it seems to happen in any car we take.

With window mount spotties can you tilt them up and down, say if you were looking down into gullies or up hills?

I have used a window gas strut similar to Cammo's with the light set in front of the strut that allows me to shoot through the open window without the strut getting in the way