Canon S3 Camera

gryphon

What a photo!

tell me more about this camera John, my camera is crapola. (or do you have a post elsewhere about it?)

Sam its a Canon S3 IS and is purely digi and not an SLR and i tell you know it is amazing in what it can and will do with a bit of creative effort....to get that shot i took about 20 of the birds but they were head bobbing /moving all the time and it was tough to get them to sit still for the AF to work,oops AF =auto focus.

here are a couple more pics Sam the crimson lowry moved as i hit the button but you can still see the yellow piece of corn in his claw though. Im going to get better at using the camera and when you see the bible that comes with it you will feel somewhat daunted too..but its practice and i sat down the ck yesterday for 20 mins trying to get a small brown trout to play but i couldnt...ah patience.Going out early today for a sambar pic session,now all i have to do is see one haha.

The camera is just under 600 on the net.Harvey norman another 100 usually but i also got a one meg SD card a sandisk extreme 111 that has incredible speed also.

plus i`m waiting on a new Canon lens to take it out to 18 optical power,cant wait as close ups on sambar are not too bloody easy eh.

I got my Canon S3 IS a month ago, but have not had a chance to study it seriously yet!

Still awestruck by its capabilities!

Got it online from camerastore.com.au .

Basic cost was $582

512Mb Memory card (recommended by pro-photographer mate) $35

Powerbase AA Battery charger with 4 AA rechargeable Batts. $45

freight was $16

GST $61.64

Total delivered to door...$678.00

Ed

Mate i slammed it full of the full on canon rechargers,and carry another set of them with me,i dont want to be caught out. Charger and batts are worth it with the amount of zooming etc i`m doing. Havent exhausted the first lot yet. And Murphys law says they will fail when the big one is in front of me ..i will have to use the 7 mill then ;)

I have the older Canon S1 and i am pretty pleased with that...I toyed with updating it to the S3 but found out the S3 isn't compactable with an IR shutter remote which is handy for those trophy pics if you are on your own. Other than that I think the S3 is a hell of a camera...

Gryphon,

I have no doubts the S3 or a much improved camera than the S1 save for the IR, but the S1 does me fine for what i want and I have a Canon DLSR as a main camera.

It will be intersting to see how the various camera phones develop over the next couple of years; I have already seen one with flash, a 3x optical zoom and a 3 MP sensor...I think they are going to steal a lot of the market form the point-n-shoots although the point_n_shoots they are competeing against are far cheaper price wise..

Regards,

Pete