Satellite phone

Hey Farmgirl if you see us on the weekend ask to look at our satphone we carry around, it's an Iridium on a $30/month telstra plan with calls at $1/min. Use it when in the paddock in case of emergency, we regularly use it to test it's working and has never failed, still manages to keep a lock on satellites if I wander inside and it can see one through a window.

It's not to replace an iphone for someone addicted to texting and facebook, it's a potential lifesaver here, where we don't have mobile coverage.

Welcome back, stranger!

i thought the iridium network was going to get splashed (literally) years ago?  Someone must have thrown some cash at it and saved them?

i used to visit a website that told you when and where to look for "iridium flares" which was when the sun was reflected off the solar panels of the iridium satellites into your location. Might have to refind it. 

+1 on the Inmarsat. Got mine through my brother who used to run some yacht deliveries. 

Wouldnt want to use it all the time, but bloody handy when you need it. Cost is prohibitive to run it year round though. 

The mob I run it through GDMAS in Fremantle are good blokes though, I send the phone over to them once every 3 years and they give it a once over, load up credit for VIC winter, upload latest firmware and only charge for the credit. 

Will keep looking for more cost effective alternatives though. 

Cheers Tim

G'day Duncs!

Not sure about the network intricacies but the Mrs has been going out doing feeding when I've been stuck elsewhere, and she calls my mobile each time as a "radio check" I suppose you could call it. Test, test your gear, your life may hinge on it.

We were caught up in an unfortunate incident which reinforced how important it was to carry some essential gear when out away from medical help. One piece of that gear I believe it's mega important, wherever you are, to  be able to reliably call for emergency medical help immediately. Nothing is infallible all the time, but when you are flat on your back hours away from the nearest helping hand that's when you appreciate how important it really is.

• Like 1