Portable in car navigation/GPS

nick

Been looking at the portable in car GPS's and was wondering which ones you have had the best experience with, or user friendly.

Will be mostly used around city sydney etc... but wonderring if they still good for use on trips out western nsw?

The brands i have looked at are navman, tomtom, garmin and a HP one.

Looked at that model today bushpig, excelent unit. Learnt abit more today about them

Basicaslly they are all supported by whereis.com and the software can be upgraded anually.

Got the bloke to punch in a few random rural towns around western nsw and they all came up ok,,

I spose it comes down to what other options you need like memory storage, memory card slot, blue tooth etc...

Now down to two brands tomtom,navman.

:D Really more for the mrs when she shoping up sydney cbd, and markets. sick of her calling asking how to get to ***** from *****.

But yeh i wouldn't mind using it for out west too, as you say it helps finding shorter or new ways. :lol:

Mate the hilux will find it's own way there. Might be a bit slow but. :P

Guest caveman
:D Really more for the mrs when she shoping up sydney cbd, and markets. sick of her calling asking how to get to ***** from *****.

But yeh i wouldn't mind using it for out west too, as you say it helps finding shorter or new ways. :lol:

Mate the hilux will find it's own way there. Might be a bit slow but. :P

i just got a garmin I3 unit and as far as city use goes, it's real good, and so was the price $199,

I have a Garmin Nuvi 310 (i think that's right), anyway one of the new models and it works a dream took it out bush last time and knew all the dirt roads we where on.

Plus i find the Garmin's interface to be a lot easier then the other companies and better layed out.

In my own mind anyway

Thats my 2 cents

Edited by sofie

If you have a laptop, you can buy USB and Bluetooth GPS recievers for under $100, including maps. (Alternatively you can download them)

May require a bit of fiddling, but for under $100, that could be an option.

Ebay is where I have seen a few, but most don't come with software aka. maps: (Ebay search: gps reciever).

Some programs even include voice overs to aid you in the process in getting to your destination.

Just something to have a look at

Giday,

I have an IPAQ loaded up with TomTom for street mapping (ws excellent help finding the last hunting property out near Roma) and ths other progam called MemoryMap. Both of which i was able to download via eDonky.

MemoryMap is EXCELLENT. Allows you to make tracks on a topographic map (if you have one of the area).

There is also another piece of gear that i WANT!

http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/rino520.php

The Rino 520 has a full mapping GPS and a massive 5watt UHF radio!

NICE PIECE OF GEAR!

post-1811-1190288641_thumb.jpg

IMO the cheaper ones only let you down. I am using a iCN330(NAVMAN) in my truck, to help me get around Brizzy and it gets it right about 50% of the time. It tends to loose signal in built up areas due to interference and the high buildings blocking the signal. I also find that it is always trying to push me to use toll roads when I really dont need to. Does anyone else find this with their models? Yesterday the most direct route i took didn't include a toll road, however my nav tried to send me on a loop around to my job via a toll rd. Go figure. Reckon the toll road operators and WhereIS are in bed together...

Next time i'll splash a bit more cash on a more dependable model.

I got one from eBay by the brand name KOGAN. This guy does his own importing I believe so it keeps the costs down. They are very well priced and they are multi purpose too. Not only does mine have the nav software, but it will also play mp3's, movies, show pictures and allow you to read e-books. This is all covered by the SD card interface. Put the info on the card, plug it in and your away.

Good little nav system too. Showed tracks in the bush I didn't even know had names!

If you want more info I can try and find the email address somewhere..

IMO the cheaper ones only let you down. I am using a iCN330(NAVMAN) in my truck, to help me get around Brizzy and it gets it right about 50% of the time. It tends to loose signal in built up areas due to interference and the high buildings blocking the signal. I also find that it is always trying to push me to use toll roads when I really dont need to. Does anyone else find this with their models? Yesterday the most direct route i took didn't include a toll road, however my nav tried to send me on a loop around to my job via a toll rd. Go figure. Reckon the toll road operators and WhereIS are in bed together...

Next time i'll splash a bit more cash on a more dependable model.

Hey mate, Check your settings. Could be on Fastest Route. I normally use in the middle between fastest and shortest. HTH....