Gun Cases - Plastic Or Aluminuim

roddersmcd

I have been looking at buying a gun case as a gift for my father-in-law for a while. He has a .222 with scope, nothing special but I am so damn tired of him saying that it "got bumped in the ute" (he is afterall a farmer) and it not shooting straight. The scope he has got on it is cheap and nasty, but seems to work ok as long as it's not bumped in anyway. I figure getting him a case may solve his and my problems, along with looking after the rifle itself!

Anyone got any info on whats good, bad or indifferent when it comes to choosing a gun case, and don't forget, it's not a $20,000 gun we are storing here, just something to stop the gun and scope getting bumped around to much when put in the ute.

I have a Fortress case, two rifle size. They are aluminium and built like a brick dunny, and protect firearms really well. They aren't cheap - about $200 IIRC - but you get what you pay for.

BTW you can buy a decent scope from the States from about $200 or so. How much does the FIL waste on ammo with a crap scope that won't hold zero?

I too have an Aluminium case for my Tikka and over the last two years my scope has never moved. The case cost about $130.

However understand that this too might be a bit pricey.

Maybe a Plastic case would suffice. If it was padded on the inside and the gun was held firm when closed i would expect it to do the trick. However Ive never used one so could be wrong.

Just been on a hunting trip to NZ with a Plano Reinforced plastic hardcase. It holds two guns and is damn light in comparison to my metal dual gun cases. Rock solid and my .243 stayed on zero even after the return trip. About $100 at Cost price. Suppose you'd get one for about 120'ish.

That sounds like the way I might go. Has anyone seen or heard about the doskocil rifle cases? They look ok. Just wanted to know if anyone has used them?

Yours is an aluminium doskocil case? What sort of padding does it have in it? The foam egg carton type? Any whats the rest of the case eg. locking mechanism like?

Yours is an aluminium doskocil case? What sort of padding does it have in it? The foam egg carton type? Any whats the rest of the case eg. locking mechanism like?

Mine has the egg crate foam padding and uses three combination locks. (No keys needed) Holds Rifle nice and tight. Aluminium case with steel corners to protect agains scuffs, etc. Big and a little bulky but good protection none the less.