Looking For Hunting Boots

waydog

Bought a spair pair of boots sold by Blundstone and did not need them for some two years.

When my old boots failed from 7 years of wear I pulled out the spair pair.

Whent on my way climbing around hills after goats and started slipping over .

To my surprise the soles were just falling apart and big chunks of rubber were coming off everywhere.

I contacted Blundstone when I got home and they refused to honour any guarantee or replace the boots. Saying that the boots were over 12 months old . They would not accept the fact that they had never been worn as could be easily seen by the perfect condition of the leather upper and no wear at all on the crumbling sole.

The type of sole was a soft rubber acid proof sole.

This will happen with just about any boot, regardless of brand. Never ever buy a new pair and sit them in the cupboard unused for months on end, the soles will fall apart on blundstones, olivers, whatever.

Dis you guys get Aigle Gennets over there?

aigle_gennet_gtx_(dn).jpg

Baring in mind that what we each want from a hunt boot is a very personal thing, these are as near to ideal as I can find.

The don't have the build quality of an expensive all leather European hiker but they are certainly as good or better than comparable boots by Rocky or Danner.

For hunting I dislike the Vibram soles as found on most hikers and Meidles as I find them too hard to stalk quietly in...The soles on these are a bit softer, but of course that means they do wear than much quicker.

They have a bellows tongue and a gortex liner which I find works very well..I have two pairs of these boots and one is probably 6 or 7 years old and although worn, is still waterproof.

I like the high style of boots as again it helps to keep your feet dry and keeps crap out too..

They are probably not suited to serious mountain hunting although I have used them on fairly rough terrain in Scotland..All in all a very comfortable, well thought out hunting boot in the medium price range..

I should add, I have some German sourced all leather Meidles which although obviously a higher quality boot, tend to get left behind as I find them too "clumpy" to stalk in...

Edited to add they are about £100/ AUS$220 over here, but you can generally get them a bit cheaper if you buy them at the summer gamefairs/hunting shows..

Regards,

Pete

Edited by Pete E

PeteE got a sole photo at all as i place great emphasis on sole quality.

Money in GB pounds?

Currently they are around £100 GB, which I think is about AUS$ 220?

Snapped the pic below of the sole..

solepic.jpg

The flash as "flattened" the picture a bit so you can't see the depth of the tread, but its comparable to any standard vibram hiker..

The sole unit is softer though and a bit more flexible but not as thin or flexible as the cheap bottom end boots.

They wouldn't be my first choice of a dedicated serious mountain boot were you need a stiff sole, but I know of a Brit who took a pair to NZ to hunt Tahr in the Southern Alps and he was pleased with them...Not sure if the sole is replaceable or not; I suspect not looking at the thick molded rubber rand..

Like I said I have some Meidles as well, but as an all round hunting boot, I prefer these...its not until theres a good bit of snow on the ground on more mountainous terrain do i wear the Meidle's..

Hope this helps,

Pete

Edited by Pete E