Hunting Binoculars

I want a new set of bino's for hunting (mainly deer).

Has anyone had any experience with the following (or similiar) binoculars:

---------------------------

Steiner Merlin 8x40 - $450

Zeiss Conquest 8x40 - $850

Meopta 7x42 - $860

---------------------------

I've looked through 7x42mm Meopta's and they were just awesome, no doubt the Zeiss' would be just as good. I would prefer the Steiners as they are much cheaper but don't want to give too much away in terms of performance. No doubt they are all super-clear but is the extra 400 bucks really gaining that much more in terms of light gathering ability??

---------

Interesting to note the Steiners have a higher Twilight Factor and Relative Brightness figure/s than the Zeiss - but at the end of the day I guess they are just numbers and the true quality is in the glass and associated coatings.

---------

Would prefer replies from people with real life experience using mid-to-high end bino's in the bush please.

Hi Phil

Here's my $0.02 worth.

I've used a set of Zeiss 8x30 binos for the last ten years and can highly recommend them. I've used them in a range of country, chasing every thing from rabbits to cow elephants. They're lightweight, compact and durable - they've copped a bit of rough treatment on a few hunts! In my experience, Zeiss continue to perform well in pre dawn/twilight conditions when lesser makes of binos struggle.

I also have a pair of Leica 10x42 I use in New Zealand, and for long range work here in Australia. The quality of Leica optics is world renowned, however my only complaint is that they are on the heavy side. In Fiordland, I found it was easier to carry them in the top pocket of my backpack, than to have the heavy bugger hang from my neck!

Having said that, I got the Leica's at a price too good to refuse, and the Zeiss were a gift from my mother-in-law (God bless her!!).

And finally I get to the point - if I was out to buy a set of binos now, I would buy the Steiner as I think they represent the best value for money of the three options.

I found it was easier to carry them in the top pocket of my backpack, than to have the heavy bugger hang from my neck!

A harness solves all that.

email me Phil

From my small experience I suggest a major factor would be the weight. A pair of bino's in your backpack isn't as good as a pair of bino's around your neck. I hardly take mine now as while they are not huge, they are not small either and they are just too much of a pain. I don't have a harness though.

I've looked through 7x42mm Meopta's and they were just awesome, no doubt the Zeiss' would be just as good. I would prefer the Steiners as they are much cheaper but don't want to give too much away in terms of performance. No doubt they are all super-clear but is the extra 400 bucks really gaining that much more in terms of light gathering ability??

The comparison between the Meopta Meostar 7x42mm and Steiner NighthunterXP 8x30mm was significant. Amazing what an extra 14mm of light gathering can do. As you know the NighthunterXP series are not the cheapy models!