Which Gps

Bugman

Gents,

I've had numerous GPS units in my time - mostly for the boat but I've also once had a Garmin GPS 12 XL which was excellent for the first little handhelds that came out.

After getting a touch disoriented on a western QLD trip recently I'm chasing a new handhand - preferable one that can download maps - like those from google maps/earth or the NSW Game council State Forests.

Anyone using one they like?

Brett

Hi Bugman, if that is what you want to do your best bet is a PDA or palm pilot running ozi explorer or similar. I run 4 different gps systems these days and the palmpilot with gps receiver is by far the best.

Cost wise it can vary because of the amounts of pda's to choose from and the gps receiver would cost under $150. Pda anywhere from $100-$600.

I also run a garmin 60 csx which has excellent capability but nothing compared to running the palm.

You can have sattelite pics on the parm, maps of everywhere, made up tracks to follow, google earth shots....

Xav

I have an Ipaq (with inbuilt GPS) and it's a great all rounder.

But, the's a couple of issues.

Mainly, they are not designed for bush use. They aren't that rugged and depending on how long you are going out you may have a problem with battery power.

But that said, it's a great all rounder. I have it with TomTom in the car. I use GPSTuner (has moving maps) and OziExplorer for offroad use and PocketFMS for aviation mapping.

But all that said, I will buy a more simple rugged GPS with a B/W screen that has a long life battery (After new 4WD tires and after more guns and after......).

Thanks Fireman and Xavie,

I had thought about a palm or actually an I phone but like Fireman noted - I was worried about it's ruggedness thrown around in the car and in the bush. My old GPS 12 would chew batteries and it was one definitely a factor when it came to loooking around this time.

I guess I don't really need the maps - but they would be handy.

I can just plot waypoints from maps into the GPS and use it as a guide.

Even with the little Aussie peso sliding in recent weeks - it still looks like buying overseas is the best option.

Brett

If you buy from overseas make sure you factor in the cost of australian maps, or verify the australian maps for your system are free.

A couple of years ago I looked into a tom tom; in singapore it was cheaper than in australia but the SD card with the Ausi maps was over a hundred bucks so It was cheaper to buy in Australia- where the Ausi maps came bundled with the Ausi bought unit.

Good luck.