Night Vison

greg.osk

wouldnt waste my money on the gen1 stuff .only ever found it good for close range .save your bickies.

I wouldn't say Gen1 stuff is a waste of money - but it's important to understand the limitations of it. For military use? OK, then it's a waste of money, excepting Gen1 Cascade tubes, which are pretty good although superceded now (I've watched a fox in starlight from over 150m away right up until he walked within 5m of me with a Gen1 cascade tube, and that was ambient light only).

But for home use? It's pretty good.

It's about 1/10 of the cost (a decent new Gen2 costs around $3K now going off some local prices, and good luck getting anything secondhand now under $1500 ) so gives more performance for the $ than Gen2.

The new 40lpmm tubes that Greg mentioned are pretty good too - low gain (lots of made up marketting) but are good enough for just about any urban conditions - though watch out for streetlights - and even on a rural-starlight night, you should be able to see well enough out to 50m with the built in light.

You can always get a handheld flashlight and add an IR filter or get an IR light as well, which will extend the range and if you're only watching animals, they won't see your light.

Gen1 still gets a wider field of view than any Digital unit I've tried and the batteries seem to last forever (Digital units are thirsty).

On a really dark night, a Gen1 riflescope should allow you to shoot out to about 100m with an appropriate illuminator, although some people claim out to 200m, and I guess it's plausible enough, although personally I'd prefer Gen2 if shooting was involved because you can see what's past your target as well, although on a moonlight night, both can see quite well for distance without illumination.

I think the price Greg paid was quite reasonable for what he got. If it's his first NV, I think he'll be happy with it.

One of the comments on a NV forum some time ago related to NV dealers making sure they pick moonless nights when they do NV demonstrations - because in the words of the overheard dealer "If there's a moon, it makes Gen1 look too good"

David.

My first experience with NVG was in the army, it was ok (Gen II) but I wasn't great. Then I realised I still had the lens cap on, after I took it off it was frogging brilliant! :blush:

Later we went out for a night shoot using the laser on the rifles, and the monocular. It blew me away, and I shot really well. After about an hour though I started to feel a bit funny, and went off for a really good, really long spew. Then when my mates came along to see what was up I got mean and told them all to fug off, even grabbed one by the scruff of the neck and later told one of my superiors that I was fugging oright so just fug off ok!. All this coming from one of their most stable and reliable guys. Lucky for me one of the old WO's had seen another bloke do this as well in response to NVG. Apparently my brain got all mixed up because I was swapping focus on my eyes, first using one eye through NVG then my natural night vision with the other. These things can sometimes do funny things to you. :wacko:

Here's one to think about.....

I have been contemplating making a version of a NV system myself. I have most of the components and just need to find an LCD screen. My idea is to use a standard B&W CCTV camera, IR spotlight and an LCD screen all of which I would mount into something like a large spotlight casing or something similar. The IR would have a typical range of up to 15m or so and the idea is to use it for close range rabbit or fox sniping. It would let the user keep an eye on the screen for movement without startling the wildlife with a spotlight.

Here's one to think about.....

I have been contemplating making a version of a NV system myself. I have most of the components and just need to find an LCD screen. My idea is to use a standard B&W CCTV camera, IR spotlight and an LCD screen all of which I would mount into something like a large spotlight casing or something similar. The IR would have a typical range of up to 15m or so and the idea is to use it for close range rabbit or fox sniping. It would let the user keep an eye on the screen for movement without startling the wildlife with a spotlight.

http://www.onlinetoys.com.au/EyeClops-Nigh...s-pr-17940.html

There's a small LCD :) And it comes pre-mated to an IR sensitive camera... They even through in the LED's for free.

You can also get small (2 inch) LCDs from Ebay, but you may find they are too large for an eyepiece and too small to look at directly (and shine too much light on you).

Keep in mind you can get a second-hand Gen1 NV scope for around $150 or so, and new ones from about $400 up.

There are also Digital NVs that do what you are looking at making in a single small package with a very sensitive CCD.

David.

ok. one thing that i learnt is its nothing like you would see it on tv or a video game, u do have hi exspectactions at 1st. In the dvd it comes with its says " do not expect the same image u would from a day time scope".

Besides what some people have said i find it to be a pritty good NVD. in total darkness the IR lights up to about 20m in bush, after that u cant see to much, open field with full moon and u can see pritty much everything, While testing it last night i came across a pair of eyes, after focusing i could see it was a roo. Bit scary at first, animals eyes light up like u have a spotty on them.

So overall im happy and pleased with my purchase, takes a bit to adjust to the differance in image but once you get it " its nothing but fun".

The only night vision rifle scopes I can find are from NVT and the prices were around the 1300 mark does this sound about right for a gen1?

In Australia from a local stockist with local support and warranty? That's probably about right.

But you can get them from ebay to - eg, 200269026407 would cost about $800...

The low dollar has pushed up their prices by about 50%... :(

I've seen them go as low as $300 to $400 SH though.

For a good Gen2 Riflescope? Budget around $3000 and up.

David