Snake Boots

Hi guys,

Im looking for a shop somewhere or in perth or in darwin that sells snake boots.

Anybody know one?

Greets Ian

If you mean gators,then most hunting shops or aussie disposals will have them.If you are talking about a specific brand of boot,then google is your friend(maybe)

Why don't you just use Gators, for bite protection over your boots and pants?

P.S. Beat me Pajero, I had to upload. :P

How can you upload so quick?It takes me 10min just to find the pic that I want to upload,and then another 10min to do the job :angry:

any of the online stores will deliver to your door,I have IRISH SETTER`S 17 inch high and had them on yesterday when i was down the creek spraying berries.

Wolverine, + Rocky make `em too.

dunno if its wifes tail or not but supposedly the trick is decent loose fitting pants will cop the brunt of an all but repeated Snake attack - think that was in regard to the Aussie snakes fangs to to short or something -- I don't agree with the fang length thing however

Jock someone else advised with the Gaitors - if they are worn for feet dry purposes, is to put the gaitors under your pants leg -- the water then from the wet pants then goes over the gaitor instead of letting the water seep down under the gaitor resulting in wet socks anyway. Also apparently more effective at keeping crap out of your boots aswell

- this is all hearsay mind you -

i had a pair of snake boots. bought them in nashville. $175. both time i wore them they looked very swisho. then customs took them saying something about being a protected species of python. @ssholes.

Hi guys,

Im looking for a shop somewhere or in perth or in darwin that sells snake boots.

Anybody know one?

Greets Ian

If you cannot find them in Perth or Darwin try Cabelas in the US

snake proof gaitors

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...entId=cat470076

snakeproofboots

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...rentId=cat20564

this may help you

dunno if its wifes tail or not but supposedly the trick is decent loose fitting pants will cop the brunt of an all but repeated Snake attack - think that was in regard to the Aussie snakes fangs to to short or something -- I don't agree with the fang length thing however

Jock someone else advised with the Gaitors - if they are worn for feet dry purposes, is to put the gaitors under your pants leg -- the water then from the wet pants then goes over the gaitor instead of letting the water seep down under the gaitor resulting in wet socks anyway. Also apparently more effective at keeping crap out of your boots aswell

- this is all hearsay mind you -

Again this is heresay, but I think the reason for donning the loose fitting thick pants is because they are likely to stop the venom. Apparently most Aussie snakes rely on grooves down the backs of their fangs to deliver their venom. So if the fang goes through a thick fabric the story is the venom will ba absorbed by the fabric instead of your skin.

Don't know if I'd want to test the theory though...

I never think about snakes when I'm in the bush, I am more concentrated on looking for game, although I have seen plenty, I have been attacked by a tiger snake and I've stepped on a few black snakes. My old mate who recently died spent most of his life in the bush and never wore shoes. I think you have more chance getting run over on a pedestrian crossing than getting bitten by a snake.

I looked at several pairs of gators last week. one of them are made for hunters; they are all very noisy. May be ok for sneaking around after rabbits, goats, pigs etc but far too noisy for Deer hunting. Those ones old mate is wearing in the photo with the fox are probably the best in that regard but they rely on the tight elastic around your calf to hold them up, I wouldn't want that restriction on my circulation system particularly when I'm relying on the energy in my legs to get me home.

hi all.. just one question about gaitors,.. how are they suppose to work and are they safe? i have a look at one pair at the shop today and it looks very thin and i think a snake's fangs will go straight through...

sai

Sai, not all gaiters are designed for snake protection. Other parasites like leeches and ticks cause problems as does general twigs and seeds falling into your boots.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiters

Depending on where you are, loose absorbent clothing will be enough protection.

The snakes found in the Gippsland areas mostly have grooved fangs. The venom flows down this groove and then into the body. Clothing can absorb this venom and save you from the poison. You may still have puncture marks and should still follow first aid procedures and goto hospital.

Snakes up the top end tend to have hollow fangs, the venom is injected directly into the body.

I'd check with your local reptile nut as to what snakes are in your area and what protective devices they recommend.