Gloves For The Discerning Hunter

Hi Guys,

My last range trip bought me to the conclusion that I needed some gloves. The rest of my body is all nice and warm and cosy, but my hands suffered. I found myself shooting poorly because my hands were so dam cold. Fumbling loading rounds into the magazine, having troubles making small adjustments to my scope etc.

On my hunt around the internet I found all this tacti-cool crap, which I really wanted to avoid. I was after a practical, cost effective hand warmning solution. I found a lot of leather style gloves, which despite probably being very warm and hard wearing, I decided that they may not give me the movement I am used to without gloves. All the various fingerless gloves were looking good, made from some sort of padded neoprene style material and offering some sort of grip pad to reduce slip.

Then I came across this site www.gripsngloves.com.au. I shot the guy an email and was welcomed with an almost immediate response with regards to sizing. John Padgett is the fellas name, and was most helpful, even indicating that if the sizing was correct he'd just swap them over at no additional cost.

I went out for a while today, and I tell ya what these gloves are perfect. They offer enough padding to feel comfortable, but not so much as its too big and bulky, preventing you from really "feeling" your rifle. The cut ends on the thumb and forefinger are well finished and look like they will outlast me. They have just the right amount cut back, providing enough bare skin to manage all the required tasks. The thumb covers a little beyond my knuckle, and and forefinger is cut back so that when you squeeze the trigger, it doesn't bunch up undert your knuckle. This provides just enough skin on the trigger to feel everything without the glove being a hinderance, enough room for sliding rounds into the magazine.

The velcore tags at the bottom of the gloves are made with 3M velcro, so top notch stuff there, as is the gripping material which covers the inside of the glove. Overall the finish of the glove is great, they provide the manoeuvrability that you (well at least me) require while shooting, and are definately warm. They even give me a little added confidence with gripping the fore-end too.

I'll be getting another pair for the missus and will recommend them to anyone looking for some comfortable shooting gloves.

Jase

A nice pair of gloves makes a night so much better, I know when your frezing your ass off on the back of the ute spotlighting and have no gloves on your wishing you were driving.

The only other thing that shits me off is I normaly were a Beleclava when its realy cold which is good cos it keep your face warm. But because I were glasses they always fog up. If they only fitted demisters to glasses....mmm

A nice pair of gloves makes a night so much better, I know when your frezing your ass off on the back of the ute spotlighting and have no gloves on your wishing you were driving.

The only other thing that shits me off is I normaly were a Beleclava when its realy cold which is good cos it keep your face warm. But because I were glasses they always fog up. If they only fitted demisters to glasses....mmm

You can get anti-fog stuff from most motorcycle stores. It's usually put on the inside of a helmet visor to prevent fogging up, and works a treat on glasses of any sort.

Jase

Buy a outdoor research solsi,tce balaclave these will not cause your glasses to fog up as the have an opening at the base of the nose and they are the only windproof balaclava that I know of and they have great ear pads

Have a look too at plain old Riggers gloves, the soft gloves that are intended for blokes handling chains and cables.

Great to keep a pair in the vehicle for those times when you don't want to leave skin behind for whatever reason.

They are nice and soft, aren't lined so don't take the feel away, and if you are the sort who likes your trigger finger exposed, find some scissors.

And they cost $5-$10.

Free if you've got an understanding boss.

On -5 deg nights spotlighting with your hand out the window on a suction roof spotty, they certainly don't give anything away to flash tacticool stuff.

Have a look too at plain old Riggers gloves, the soft gloves that are intended for blokes handling chains and cables.

Great to keep a pair in the vehicle for those times when you don't want to leave skin behind for whatever reason.

They are nice and soft, aren't lined so don't take the feel away, and if you are the sort who likes your trigger finger exposed, find some scissors.

And they cost $5-$10.

Free if you've got an understanding boss.

On -5 deg nights spotlighting with your hand out the window on a suction roof spotty, they certainly don't give anything away to flash tacticool stuff.

Yes these gloves are good for bikes too. You can dye them black with Raven Oil if that's your thing, if your not keen on bright yellow or white.

I have lots of pairs of these gloves I acquired hmmm.... you can never have enough.

Tig gloves as you know are even softer and very comfy but thin...

Fangster

How do you find pulling the trigger with riggers gloves? I don't have a pair handy so I might go get some. I had tried other gloves, though not the rigging gloves, and found that I just couldn't feel everything the way I like to.

Jase

I get these ones from our industrial supply joint, they are quite thin, and are true riggers ones, just meant to allow proper feel when working around sharp steel edges or cables, and be able to still do fine work.

Funny enough, the cheapies can be the best (and I haven't seen any for years that aren't made in China except for the Indian ones, which are hideous) because they split the leather quite thin and I think it's pig skin.

They are so bloody soft. Some start out a little stiff, but after a hours wear they are soft too. Just check you don't get any that are made of cardboard.

I only mention them because they are a cheap alternative, particularly if you are the sort of person who forgets where you last put your sunnies.

If you cut off only the trigger finger at the last joint, and the gloves are soft, they are a great cheap stand-by for sure. But watch the cardboard ones, there are some terrific soft ones available.