Harris Bipods

Hi Guys.

I'm in the market for one to suit my .223 but am unsure on which one to purchase.

I'm looking between the

Model L (Adjustable height from 9" to 13")

&

Model H (Adjustable from 13 1/2" to 23")

I think either of the two can come in a "Series M" which enables the legs to eject by spring. Also the height settings can be done in 1" increments.

You can also get them in "Series S" which is the swiveling model (for leveling on uneven ground). This seems very handy.

Here's the problem... I've heard that the Model H is best for varmint shooting but it doesn't come in the swiveling model (Series S).

What do you people recommend? Which do you own?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

tim

Hey Martyr i use the series 1A2 model L ultralight 9" - 13" on my 22-250 for those long shots in the afternoons over a rabbit warren and have found it very useful.I have not tried the swiveled style so am unable to comment on them but they should be good specially in uneven ground or if you have to move slightly IMO.

Hope this helps,i will post a few pics also.

Cheers Deerchaser

post-14-1148109709.jpg

I've got an L model, I've used it on everything from Roo( Wallaby) and rabbit's, throught to Fallow and even Pronghorn antelope, with my 222 right up to my 7mm magnum, they really are a great asset.

Thanks guys. I'm now leaning towards the L Model (9" - 13") in swivel.

Just one question though, the 13" would be obviously be good for prone shooting - but what about 9"? Is it a nice height for leaning over objects? (i.e. cars)

I have the Harris 1A2-L model. Only use it in when I'm in "varminting mode" over a warren.

223lookingoverRabbitwarren.jpg

Looking over a warren approximately 170m away. There is plenty of height for prone shooting.

223Rabbits.jpg

Ruger 223 with bipod and quarry.

I have used a new swivel "S" Harris bi-pod on a Ruger 243 and didn't like it at all. The knurled tightening nut would not do up enough for a rigid firing platform.

IMO bipods are a nuisance on the back of a vehicle while spotlighting. I have a small sandbag just for that purpose.

I have the short one like deerchaser and find it great for all shooting. I take it off for shooting out of the truck as it is a PITA as mentioned. I can shoot over the bonnet easily with it, but i am 6' tall as well. i would like to try a swivel one as it would be easier to straighten the rifle up as opposed to adjusting the leg that little bit all the time.

Cheers......................Pete! :D

I've got the L swivel and its great off the roof of ute, lives on my 204, good at range for 270 on bench too.

Drew was it tightening nut or swivel tension giving unstable platform? As swivel tension is adjustable to suit user and mine fits both model 70 ruger vt really well.

Drew was it tightening nut or swivel tension giving unstable platform?

The knurled nut for swivel tension.

Yeah. I've heard that the friction tensioning knob is hard to adjust with your fingers and you need to get the pliers on to it.

However, I've found an awesome U.S aftermarket product called the 'Pod-Loc' to fix this problem.

The Pod-Loc is a tension Lever that replaces the friction tensioning knob to give you much better control and leverage. It suits all Seires S (Swivel) Harris Bipods.

I've read lots of user reviews and all have them have been praising this aftermarket device saying it makes the swivel bipod SO much more easier to use. It also tucks away when not in use so it wont catch on anything whilst your carrying your rifle.

Problem is, I can't for THE LIFE OF ME find anyone in the U.S willing to ship it over here.

For more information, just Google it.

Here's some pictures.

podloc01.gif

podloc03.gif

Now that is a vastly superior tensioning system. I'm sure you could get one (or more) sent to you from the States. Why not deal direct with the manufacturer?

Now that is a vastly superior tensioning system.  I'm sure you could get one (or more) sent to you from the States.  Why not deal direct with the manufacturer?

I emailed every single U.S based shop that sells them and only received ~5 places willing to ship it over here. Postage ranged from $13US to $45US shop to shop.

I obviously went with the cheaper shipping - however it will still be USPS Global Priority Mail - so 4-6 days to arrive.

I purchased it from ironbrigadearmory.com if anyone wishes to know.

Total was $38US or approx $50AU.

Well worth it I believe.

Can't believe no shop in Australia has even heard of it. Apparently the manufacturer (KMW) just made a massive amount of them for an order for the U.S Military.