Spotting Scope Or Binos

Guys,

I'm looking for a cheap way to get closer to stuff. When shooting at the 200 yard target with my .243, topped by a 3-9 3200 Elite, I find it very hard to see my tiny little bullet holes. So I want to get either a spotting scope or set of zoom binos. I've found some cheap 10-30x50 binos that should do the job. Now I know they are cheap and nasty, but thats pretty much all I need. The alternative is a 20-60x60 spotting scope, again, its a cheap Celestron unit, but it will be enough for just seeing where I've hit.

Aside of the "spend good money on decent glass" thing, what would be better do you think. The spotting scope gives me more magnification, but less functionality. The Binos give me less mag, but more funtionality.

Thoughts?

Jase

Guys,

I'm looking for a cheap way to get closer to stuff. When shooting at the 200 yard target with my .243, topped by a 3-9 3200 Elite, I find it very hard to see my tiny little bullet holes. So I want to get either a spotting scope or set of zoom binos. I've found some cheap 10-30x50 binos that should do the job. Now I know they are cheap and nasty, but thats pretty much all I need. The alternative is a 20-60x60 spotting scope, again, its a cheap Celestron unit, but it will be enough for just seeing where I've hit.

Aside of the "spend good money on decent glass" thing, what would be better do you think. The spotting scope gives me more magnification, but less functionality. The Binos give me less mag, but more funtionality.

Thoughts?

Jase

I am of the same position, I have trouble identifying where I have hit even at 100 :( I would tend to lean more towards the spotting scope as I would want a good pair of binos, if not now, in the future for field use. But a decently clear spotting scope would achieve the objective at the range.

Also.. where you looking for them? what price range.. I really haven't done any research on who in Alb/Wod stocks these

Edited by Mestara

The concept of local supply is not one I am favouring. Elks would probably have some great quality gear and a competitive price, but I was wanting cheap.

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/celestron-20-60x-60mm-zoom-refractor.html

This is what I am considering, It seems to be about the price mark I want to pay. Celestron make telescopes, so you'd have to assume the quality does exist, all be it not the top of the line. I'll have to give Justin a call tomorrow and see what he has about, but I'm thinking it'll be significantly more than I want to pay.

Jase.

Be careful with the cheap stuff guys.

I bought a cheap 60x spotting scope and had trouble seeing 303 holes at 100 yards through it.

Then I bought a Leupold 45x spotting scope and can see them easily.

So magnification isn't everything - clarity and light transferrance (ie, the Leupold lenses are FAR clearer and let MUCH more light through) are more important than I had ever imagined.

Of course, budget is important too! So if I were faced with your decision, I'd go a cheap spotting scope and save my bickies for a more expensive set of binos. You'll use the binos more often and will be using them without a rest so clarity is important. And if you can't find the game because your binos aren't up to it, then you're going to be an unhappy hunter.

I was able to check out a stack of spotting scopes all together at the SHOT show - that really pointed out the differences to me. If you're lucky enough to be able to do that, then I can recommend it.

Hey Jase I wonder if you'd even have to spend that much. Ive just bought a really cheap one off ebay after looking through one at the range the other day.

This is it

spotting scope

Having never looked through a good quality one maybe its terrible but i could easily see .22 250 holes at 200m that's good enough for me...

Gday Jase,

I got the model below that one your looking at 15x50 x50 i think, something like that anyway. Im VERY happy with it and i can see the .308 holes at 200m easy. Ozscopes are a great bunch and i got it 2 days after paying for it. Youll be happy with the one your looking at.

Cheers

I think the choice between spotting scope and binos depends on what you're using them for. If you just want to see where your rounds are landing on a target then a spotting scope on an adjustable tripod would be best, and like most things you get what you pay for. Then on the other hand binos are very good for hunting because of the wider field of view and being generally easier to carry around with you than a scope.

I decided that the cheap Celestron 20-60x60 would do the job. Good price for what it is. Only disappointing thing is the eye releif is absolutely shocking at max magnification. I found my eye ha to pretty much be touching the ocular to get a full image. Otherwise it will be great for what I need it for.

I'll save up for a good set of Binos down the track.

Thanks for the advise guys.

Jase

Guys,

Thoughts?

Jase

chaeck out the scratch and dent sale at this place for cheap binos www.extravision.com.au murray

Hey Jase I wonder if you'd even have to spend that much. Ive just bought a really cheap one off ebay after looking through one at the range the other day.

This is it

spotting scope

Having never looked through a good quality one maybe its terrible but i could easily see .22 250 holes at 200m that's good enough for me...

Adam22.250 - Cheers for the post, I don't mind the look of that spotting scope, am only really interested in something cheap and nasty for the range. Have just purchased a decent pair of binos so I'm hoping to get out of this purchase on the cheap. How is the scope holding up after having it for a little while? Still giving it a thumbs up for the price?