Night Sight Stage One

optic

I've finally got all the bits!

And have started putting them together but ran out of time on the weekend for a completed project. Long story.

But I think I need to shoot Richard a text. I think I might have measured poorly...but I need a bit more time to fiddle before I know for sure.

Stay tuned. The soldering iron is out but I won't get a chance to play until Wed night now. I'm off to basketball in 10 mins!

I am hunting ebay for some lenses, if anyone happens to come across one I'd love to hear about it. I have a couple 4/3 lenses from my Olympus e300 DSLR, but I don't think it's fstop is low enough.

Can someone show me exactly what it is that I am supposed to be using. I've got the tubes and they seem to be working ok, but I dont have an eyepiece or objective lense. I'm just a little lost.

Jase

Edited by Jase

I am hunting ebay for some lenses, if anyone happens to come across one I'd love to hear about it. I have a couple 4/3 lenses from my Olympus e300 DSLR, but I don't think it's fstop is low enough.

Can someone show me exactly what it is that I am supposed to be using. I've got the tubes and they seem to be working ok, but I dont have an eyepiece or objective lense. I'm just a little lost.

Jase

Any lens less than F2.0 should be OK. Look for TV lens or C-mount - both should be workable.

David

this is the proper type of lens for the objective..

lens

Thankyou Brent, Yes, that's exactly the lens... And ten of them too ! :)

That's the lens that Optic and I have and I think Duncs has a slightly slower but still very similar lens.

BTW, this project isn't over yet...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lens-for-Varo-Night-Vision-Device_W0QQitemZ140424705674QQcategoryZ73363QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6746924725311779588#ht_2038wt_1137

This is the CORRECT eyepiece lens for this project. It fits exactly into the tube, will turn your 75mm lens into 3x magnifications, has adjustable focus (diopter) is Milspec and waterproof and it an AWESOME lens... I have one. Right now, Optic is chasing up a better price, so I haven't mentioned it yet so as not to interfere with his work. But get ready to jump on it in a few days if he's able to tell us a better price because it's worth getting...

Plus, if anyone gets these, we'll need to machine down the eyepiece socket you have to allow fitment of this one - It's not straightforward... Optic and I spent weeks chasing these back when we made the project, with no luck. We even spoke to this guy who is selling them but he had none at the time.

But it will convert your scope from great to awesome. That's a rifle-sight lens for these tubes.

David.

Edited by cj7hawk

just worked out why mine isn't so good, my lense is only a bit over 1in across,

not the 2.5in of those ones

You still have a fast lens... You just don't have the magnification so the image would look a bit small in your eyepiece -

However with a better eyepiece, your lenses will still be OK -

But yes, the 75mm lens is VERY good. With the right eyepiece, it makes these into great spotting scopes.

David

You still have a fast lens... You just don't have the magnification so the image would look a bit small in your eyepiece -

However with a better eyepiece, your lenses will still be OK -

But yes, the 75mm lens is VERY good. With the right eyepiece, it makes these into great spotting scopes.

David

A large diameter eyepiece with some magnification really helps. my 32mm eyepiece is like watching a tv set compared to the 20?mm pvs5 eyepiece. im totally spoiled.

there are a ton of eyepiece sets in 33- 55+!!mm diameter lenses with focal lengths from 20mm to 80+mm on a site i regular. they are sold as sets with instructions on spacing and fit in a standard 2' telescope eyepiece (sold there also with all the lens fittings if you wanna build it all from scratch)

A ready to mount complete eyepiece is between 30 and 130us$ they will require some rigging as well.

IF you are handy enough to figure out how to interface them to the scope, PM me if you are interested, ill share the link.

maybe a pvc reducing adapter to slip over the threaded portion of the project eyepiece?

Brent

A large diameter eyepiece with some magnification really helps. my 32mm eyepiece is like watching a tv set compared to the 20?mm pvs5 eyepiece. im totally spoiled.

there are a ton of eyepiece sets in 33- 55+!!mm diameter lenses with focal lengths from 20mm to 80+mm on a site i regular. they are sold as sets with instructions on spacing and fit in a standard 2' telescope eyepiece (sold there also with all the lens fittings if you wanna build it all from scratch)

A ready to mount complete eyepiece is between 30 and 130us$ they will require some rigging as well.

IF you are handy enough to figure out how to interface them to the scope, PM me if you are interested, ill share the link.

maybe a pvc reducing adapter to slip over the threaded portion of the project eyepiece?

Brent

Yes, but in this case, that particular eyepiece is designed for these tubes... It has the insulating rings, the focal adjustment, everything... It will just need a modification to the rear retaining cap to fit.

David

Yes, but in this case, that particular eyepiece is designed for these tubes... It has the insulating rings, the focal adjustment, everything... It will just need a modification to the rear retaining cap to fit.

David

For sure those are the way to go if you can get them.

hope it works out!

Brent

For anyone after one of these intensifier tubes, let me know. I have 2 for sale. Unfortunate series of events means I can't make my night vision scope.

I know this is an old thread. I'm just hoping for some clarification on a few things.

I have 2 tubes, both working well. I bought 2 of these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lens-for-Varo-Night-Vision-Device_W0QQitemZ140424705674QQcategoryZ73363QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6746924725311779588#ht_2038wt_1137 and they have fited up into the rubber rings.

There is some thread on these lenses (I assume these are the eyepeices, so thats what I'll call them from now on). Is there anything more that has to be attached to the eyepeice to make it work?

CJ you mentioned that if we get these lenses that there has to be some machining work done? What exactly has to be machined?

If I get one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-75mm-c-mount-TV-lens-brand-new-never-used-/310231253759?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item483b3942ff does that complete the project? At least into a working device that just then needs to be mounted and setup nicely? If I get one of these lenses also, how do they actually mount? Doesn't look like there is any thread or locking mechanism.

Looking forward to some help, I'm eager to get mine at least working and usable.

Jase

Hi jase.

Stick with it mate the end result is worth it.

Did you get one of the tube bodies we made?

I have mine where it needs to be now and it is magic, using the parts david has stated.

If you got one of the bodies then you need to re machine the rear end cap. Using the existing end cap you simple bore it out so that it slips over the rear eye piece, even the existing locating holes will match up in the right location. It is an easy process.

If you want to do it yourself let me know and ill give you the specs needed.

If any of you guys that got the body need this done let me know, i will use mine as a gauge as they are all exactly the same.

This eye piece makes the difference, i got mine for $50.00 US, he wanted a $100.

I offered 50 and he took it, try less if you like.

I did find dust in mine so i made up spanners to pull it apart, the dust was only in the lens covers and after 30 or more years why not. Im happy to mail the C Spanners off as long as they come back for you to use if needed. At your cost.

I can not tell you the difference it made to my tube having the right eye piece for it.

It is magic, i hope to get out and take some pics through it just to show off :P

This will be with extra light and on its own, tonight with luck.

Let us know how we can help jase.

And what about you Duncs? hows it going?

Hi Jase,

The eyepiece just fits up tight to the back of the tube... If you have an Aluminium one from the original project, then Optic can help, otherwise if you're using PVC, just tighten the back end up around it to hold it in place :)

That's about it.

Anyway, Optic's finished his adaption to the new eyepiece and he seems somewhat happy with the result - even got some decent pics this time :) I have no idea where he was though so perhaps he can fill in the details?

david-IMG_0371.JPG

david-IMG_0372.JPG

david-IMG_0374.JPG

david-IMG_0377.JPG

These big tubes are heavy, but really do make good spotters :) Especially for watching "Wild Life" eh Optic?

David.

You know i've been wondering, how easy it would be to mount these in front of a scope for shooting at night. I know there is distortion in the image, but I assume if you get it dead centre that wouldn't be a problem. Obviously it would be far too heavy to shoot off hand, but would there be a way?

I am pretty excited about getting mine up and running. I have the proper eyepeice for it, and getting a nice new tv lense for it. Optic, I've said it already but thanks again. You've been a great help and have been very patient with me.

Jase

You know i've been wondering, how easy it would be to mount these in front of a scope for shooting at night. I know there is distortion in the image, but I assume if you get it dead centre that wouldn't be a problem. Obviously it would be far too heavy to shoot off hand, but would there be a way?

I am pretty excited about getting mine up and running. I have the proper eyepeice for it, and getting a nice new tv lense for it. Optic, I've said it already but thanks again. You've been a great help and have been very patient with me.

Jase

It's actually easier just to make these shoot as a complete riflescope than to mount in front of another scope. And a lot more accurate too! Even with the taking off and putting on.

Optic and I did actually complete the Aluminium scope project as a riflescope and it's just too heavy.. It's not difficult to add a reticle ( just fits right up ) and I know they used these in Vietnam, but you're better off using the large one as a spotter.

We're making a rear-mount add-on for anyone who needs some serious NV ( Currently Gen3 but we'll make Gen2 available too ) and we're looking at the same sort of connections that the US military use.

We won't be going to a front mount. I know they are kind of popular at the moment as an idea, but have a look at the US forums. The only available front-mount in Australia is the PS-22 and it testing overseas has produced questionable results. The military unit it's similar to - the AN/PVS-22 - is restricted exports and can't be sent to Australia.

If you're desperate for any kind of mountability with the large scope, then if you use a small red or IR laser, you can aim that way - out to about 50m with good accuracy. The aluminium scope project can be made to mount up to normal dovetails ( That's how we designed it anyway )

David

The pics will improve i hope, it preforms well im not just yet, the light is far to bright in the way i have it mounted its on top of the battery box on a rail @ 45 deg, if i could have adjusted it the pic may have been clearer.

The first pic with the tiny black spot is the rabbit, that is in the pics, there were a few there. You will notice the second rabbit due to eye shine. The other pic also had one at the base of a tree and the distance is over a 100 yards in that pic. The glare stuffed that pic up.

The pic of the distant trees is well past 300 yards.

Ill take the same pics next time to compare them with the new light.

And the lovers, which i didnt take a pic of were 50 yards away, i drove all the way hope laughing my arse off. No way was i expecting to see bare bums.

The night was cloudy and overcast, no stars.

I had it set up on my $20,00 Kodak tripod camera mount from ebay. Cheap and nasty but it works well. The spotter is a bit heavy for the plastic frame.

Its not easy for me to get the pic to show what im actually seeing.

But as for eye shine, they are silver and stand out in a big way so i can only improve.

Im looking forward to my new torch, David tells me it will fix the glare problem that you can see. And is kind of special here in OZ.

But im sure if i could have adjusted the torch away from where i was spotting, it would have been better, ill make something up for that.

As David has mentioned these things are heavy, and they do make a great spotter.

But to mount them would apply untold weight to the firearm.

Jase i did make up a mount so that it could be mounted to the dovetails or a rail.

We fitted a cross hair in the front of it so we had all we needed to take a shot.

To date this has not been field tested. Due to the new project the spotter has been put aside for now, and im just getting to play with it now after all this time.

Im sure with the right light and fitted in the proper spot.

I will improve no end.

Great to see this thing working, and im happy with its results. Which have improved with the right gear hanging off each end.

Not a cheap toy, but not expensive either compared to some.

So if you guys that built the project get the chance to grab the right lens and the eye piece that was made for this tube i know you will be happy with the result.

Cheers.