Recomended Torches?

Joog

Pretty standard P60 host body - the XRE-R2 Cree emitter is OK, I've used one on my .22 before and on the shotgun, though mine are Solarforce L2's the drop-in is the same. Won't throw as far as my Eagletac T100C2 though.

I've tried the aspheric lens, it increases throw at the expense of spill, similar to the aforementioned WF-008 recoil thrower.

For the money, they are not bad and as they use a drop-in you can upgrade to any other P60 dropin you want. I have various - a red LED module, the newest Cree XM-L powerhouse, and tried an XP-G also.

Thanks for the info Fenring, I'm pretty new to all this :rolleyes:

Was just looking at a cheap P60 host that I can basically mod (using dropins). would the UltraFire WF-502B make a better host body?

I am also looking at this XML-T6 drop in. Is this the one you are running? Also I have looked at reviews on the XML comparing it to the XPG and XRE. It has CRAZY amount of light out put but quite a bit of flood. Would the Glass Optic help tighten it into a spot?

Thanks again. :)

Edited by ShadowAssassin

Thanks for the info Fenring, I'm pretty new to all this :rolleyes:

Was just looking at a cheap P60 host that I can basically mod (using dropins). would the UltraFire WF-502B make a better host body?

I am also looking at this XML-T6 drop in. Is this the one you are running? Also I have looked at reviews on the XML comparing it to the XPG and XRE. It has CRAZY amount of light out put but quite a bit of flood. Would the Glass Optic help tighten it into a spot?

Thanks again. :)

I'd also look at the Solarforce L2 combos this bloke is selling. Quality is pretty good on the L2.

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/

My XM-L dropin is an Ultrafire that came from a seller on eBay, this is the one.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UltraFire-Cree-XM-L-T6-3-mode-750-LM-LED-Bulb-Surefire-/110639861642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2a64f8a

The Dealextreme ones are only run at 1.4 amp, I believe the Solarforce is 1.5A, while the Ultrafire has been tested at 2.8A which is more like what the emitter can handle. It is very bright - blows the 330L Solarforce XP-G to bits and just a lot more light out the front that a 220 lumen XR-E. Still throws a fair way with the smooth reflector and the 3 modes are very handy and well spaced. Low is low, medium looks to be about 200 lumens and high is high - I'd say 500 - 550 lumens.

I have tried an aspheric with it, not much difference as the small lens can't take advantage of all the light from the larger emitter. But it's a cheap thing to try if you want to anyway.

I'd also look at the Solarforce L2 combos this bloke is selling. Quality is pretty good on the L2.

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/

My XM-L dropin is an Ultrafire that came from a seller on eBay, this is the one.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UltraFire-Cree-XM-L-T6-3-mode-750-LM-LED-Bulb-Surefire-/110639861642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2a64f8a

The Dealextreme ones are only run at 1.4 amp, I believe the Solarforce is 1.5A, while the Ultrafire has been tested at 2.8A which is more like what the emitter can handle. It is very bright - blows the 330L Solarforce XP-G to bits and just a lot more light out the front that a 220 lumen XR-E. Still throws a fair way with the smooth reflector and the 3 modes are very handy and well spaced. Low is low, medium looks to be about 200 lumens and high is high - I'd say 500 - 550 lumens.

I have tried an aspheric with it, not much difference as the small lens can't take advantage of all the light from the larger emitter. But it's a cheap thing to try if you want to anyway.

I thought the 1.4A UltraFire Dropin would be good as it would give me decent runtime and still a decent amount of light (which I am hoping the Aspheric Lens will be able to tame).

I took a look at the SolarForce-Sales website (boy do those L2's look good :) ). I think I will just stick with the UltraFire 501B and 1.4A XM-L (Apparently 450lm :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) and if I manage to break it or something, I'll just get an L2 Body and use my DX LED.

Will the 1.4A DealExtreme XM-L still be brighter than the XR-E R2 that comes in the 501B?

Thanks for the help... again :P:) :)

Edited by ShadowAssassin

I'd expect the XM-L running at 1.4A will be floodier, bigger hotspot and not as much throw, as an XR-E running at 1A (which is about what they tend to run them at.) I have one of those DX XR-E dropins, single mode, and they are pretty good for the money. It will work OK with a smooth reflector and aspheric lens also. Hotspot on the XM-L running at 1.4A will probably be about the same brightness, but a bigger hotspot due to the larger emitter.

I'd expect the XM-L running at 1.4A will be floodier, bigger hotspot and not as much throw, as an XR-E running at 1A (which is about what they tend to run them at.) I have one of those DX XR-E dropins, single mode, and they are pretty good for the money. It will work OK with a smooth reflector and aspheric lens also. Hotspot on the XM-L running at 1.4A will probably be about the same brightness, but a bigger hotspot due to the larger emitter.

I am going to get the WF-501B, Remote Tail Switch, More Nylon mounts, More TrustFire 2400mAh (18650) Batteries, Aspheric Lens and Smooth Reflector (For the XR-E emitter) off DealExtreme. I will also get the UltraFire XM-L T6 Emitter (that you linked me to earlier) off of eBay.

Thanks Again.

I'm sure you'll like them all. I shot a lot of bunnies with my XM-L the other week, using the .22 - it sure lights up a big area!

Tip - the cooler an LED is kept, the better it operates. There's normally a gap between the body of the P60 dropin and the torch body. To help move heat away from the dropin and the LED, I cut a strip of ally foil and wrap the body of the dropin, so it sits snug in the torch body. This conducts heat out of the dropin and into the torch body, and out into the air. Not a big issue with the XR-E but the XM-L gets warm with prolonged use.

I'm sure you'll like them all. I shot a lot of bunnies with my XM-L the other week, using the .22 - it sure lights up a big area!

Tip - the cooler an LED is kept, the better it operates. There's normally a gap between the body of the P60 dropin and the torch body. To help move heat away from the dropin and the LED, I cut a strip of ally foil and wrap the body of the dropin, so it sits snug in the torch body. This conducts heat out of the dropin and into the torch body, and out into the air. Not a big issue with the XR-E but the XM-L gets warm with prolonged use.

Thanks for the tip.

Could I ask for some advice on batteries please guys? I need a charger and some rechargeable batteries for my triton 31, it takes Battery: 3xCR123A or 4xCR123A/2xLi -ion 18650 with extended tube.

The rechargeable RCR123A are not recommended so I suppose I am after the 18650 with charger. Also how many backup batteries may be appropriate as I expect the rechargeable also have a shelf life?

Thanks

Dealextreme mate. Get the red and black Trusfire 18650's, the OEM or Trutfire 2x battery charger, and you'll need a US to Aussie adaptor plug - also available on Dealextreme. 18650's will give a much longer runtime than CR123's.

On DX they are only about $10 for two batteries so I just stock up. I have some that are a couple of years old + still going.

Dealextreme mate. Get the red and black Trusfire 18650's, the OEM or Trutfire 2x battery charger, and you'll need a US to Aussie adaptor plug - also available on Dealextreme. 18650's will give a much longer runtime than CR123's.

On DX they are only about $10 for two batteries so I just stock up. I have some that are a couple of years old + still going.

:) Thanks fenring, you could get away with charging a subscription mate..... Are they protected? whatever that means? It says in the manual they recommend this.

Edited by Hairyhunter

I've got an Ultrafire 501 and 502.

Maybe it's just the torches I have but the 501 is finished much nicer than the 502.

I have 2 Ultra fire XM-L drop ins on the way.

I'll try them out with both smooth and textured reflectors as well as flat and aspheric lenses when they get here.

I also ordered some coated lenses that are supposed to increase lumens out the front by around 7% over standard glass. They are cheap and I doubt I'll be able to see the difference but every little bit helps.

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1766

I reckon for the price you won't beat this setup and my modded 501 already blows people away by how much light it puts out. I can easily spotlight rabbits out to 150m with a decent scope on the rifle.

I hope the XM-L throws a bit of light as I'm planning to mount it on a 45colt lever action for night time walk around hog busting !

I have around 8 torches now and I'm always looking for more. Thinking about trying a few of the HID jobbies but they are not something you can mount on your rifle and walk around with.

I have 2 Ultra fire XM-L drop ins on the way.

I'll try them out with both smooth and textured reflectors as well as flat and aspheric lenses when they get here.

I also ordered some coated lenses that are supposed to increase lumens out the front by around 7% over standard glass. They are cheap and I doubt I'll be able to see the difference but every little bit helps.

Let us know how you go. :)

Is the Deal Extreme torch mount for the UltraFire WF008 any good? Anyone have much experience with one when attached to the top of their scope/barrel? I am quite interested in the Ultrafire WF008 with the 18650 batteries, charger and adaptor. How does everyone find it performs? I'll most likely be attaching it to the scope on my 243.

The WF-008 is a thrower - you get a tight, square spot that is good for 150m, easily. Runtime is around 3 hours with an 18650. Mine is a single mode but they now seem to just ship three mode (low, strobe and high)

The rubber and velcro mounts work OK on the scope, but if your scope is much bigger than a 40mm AO it won't clear the objective bell.

^ Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll order one of these today. Out of interest, how do people find these compare with the LED Lenser P7? A mate of mine has a Wolfeyes of some sort, small portable, puts out some serious light. He did pay $160 for it about a year ago though.

Just ordered the UltraFire WF008 off deal extreme along with all the suggested bits that were recommended earlier. For $45 including shipping, can't really complain now can you?! I shall let you know how it goes, but from all accounts off this website and the user reviews off deal extreme, the torch looks to be quite good.

Just ordered the UltraFire WF008 off deal extreme along with all the suggested bits that were recommended earlier. For $45 including shipping, can't really complain now can you?! I shall let you know how it goes, but from all accounts off this website and the user reviews off deal extreme, the torch looks to be quite good.

Its a fantastic torch for the price I am sure you will be impressed.