Rifle Mounted Lights

Farmgirl

I had a look at some Lightforce rifle mounted light kits. The Predator can be used as a hand held or rifle mounted light but it looks awfully big. You also have to carry the battery on your belt and obviously have a cable to connect you.

Do any of you guys have one? Is it good? It ain't cheap!

What other lights are out there that do the job and are rechargable?

FG sorry about not replying to your query, I haven't been at home...

I have one of the Enforcers that have the clip in battery in the handpiece, because I don't like the belt/pack mounted set-up. I had one of those as well and when the battery dies I didn't bother with it.

The one with the battery that clips in (just like a battery drill) has a 35W bulb and is a fantastic light. They aren't cheap though, like the others. It's because I always went walking with Lesa and she could really handle the light well and follow the game, leaving me with the rifle only so I could swing and not have cords and sh1t hanging off me getting caught up in gates, bushes etc. We liked it that way, as did she.

More often than not, she did the shooting and her personal fav was the much lighter one that I describe, over the cord/hanging extra battery job. In theory though the larger external battery job, although heavier, should have more battery life but we never found the other wanting at all because we walked around with the little built in LED's on ands only used the main beam for scanning or shooting.

So they lasted over a whole weekend and more.

Another thing that the small built in battery job is better for (which is another reason why I ditched the bulkier remote battery job), was that when spotlighting from the vehicle and I had to walk across way out to find some game, the built in battery job is great, you just pick it up and walk away from the ute, scanning around. Try that with something clamped onto the rifle, with a coily cord.

It allows a powerful spotlight to be used for scanning around, rather than you having to use a smaller torch.

Another idea is the X21 torch, but they are $4-500 bucks, and are not as good as the hyped up ads say. I bought one and am dissapointed, I still use my Lightforce instead. You can point the Lightforce easy as it has a pistol grip, unlike the X21 where you need orangutan arms to get the right angle, plus the X21 is heavy as. And the light is more a flood than a spot, so much of it is wasted.

The latest SSAA cat litter tray liner has an article on them, and the writer raves about them. Good as they may be, they aint that great, certainly nearly twice as much as some other lights such as the Enforcer, and aren't better, if at all as good.

I suppose I'm more inclined to see them for what they are rather than reading an article where someone raves about them to get a freeby.

PS I also have a P7 on a clamp mount on my 10/22 for bunnies, but for ranges out in centrefire territory, they haven't the range no matter who says.

If there was a stock-killer out at 150- 200m, I'd sure wish I didn't have a P7 or something similar, it's going to cost me a lot of heartache and I'm going to kick myself.

People will tell you they are OK out at that range, but they aint, too much compromise when things are moving, skittish or you must come out on top.

PS I also have a P7 on a clamp mount on my 10/22 for bunnies, but for ranges out in centrefire territory, they haven't the range no matter who says.

If there was a stock-killer out at 150- 200m, I'd sure wish I didn't have a P7 or something similar, it's going to cost me a lot of heartache and I'm going to kick myself.

People will tell you they are OK out at that range, but they aint, too much compromise when things are moving, skittish or you must come out on top.

Grant, as you know, we only have rimfires and the shotgun so far, so you might say that the Lighforce setup might be overkill. However, as I do plan to get a centerfire sometime in the future, I think the better quality product will be the way to go.

Just as you mentioned, I am also a bit reluctant about any attached cords and cables. Tony reckons its not a problem but I disagree. I detest cables and don't wish to get tangled up or get caught.

The Enforcer Nighthunter package looks good, as you can use it on a rifle, a shotgun and a bow. (Camilo is really getting into bow shooting, and getting rather good at it too). And that one has the clip in battery, right?

PS: For heaven's sake, don't apologize, you have been a great help from day one.

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Farmgirl

I'm not sure mate, I'm back here in Brissy and can't look at the thing, its sitting on one of the fridges back up the farm. But it's the one in the yellow/black plastic toolbox, has a clip-in battery, 240v and 12v charger for your car, and a real good quality heavy duty accessory cord that clips in, in place of the battery, for if you want to use it as a vehicle light.

Probably everyone has different ideas about what suits them personally, but these are terrific things. Real lightweight too, beats having a strained arm after half an hour...

I've fallen over enough cords in my time too and caught up on doors and trees and ripped spotties off scopes. Been there done that...

Whatever you buy, good idea, and you're going to have a blast.

Been out with the bow myself again too... Never thought of a bow mounted light. I can imagine Camilo right now, bet he's having a ball.

I'm not sure mate, I'm back here in Brissy and can't look at the thing, its sitting on one of the fridges back up the farm. But it's the one in the yellow/black plastic toolbox, has a clip-in battery, 240v and 12v charger for your car, and a real good quality heavy duty accessory cord that clips in, in place of the battery, for if you want to use it as a vehicle

That's the one! $380. Maybe there is one on eBay for a lower price.

Thanks, it's always good to know someone is happy with a product you're about to buy.

You're not wrong.

FG, I've got one of the Nightforce Night Hunter kits that mounts onto either shotgun or scope.

The light itself is quite light and it doesn't take long to get used to having it on your rifle. It isn't as compact as something like the P7 but it has longer legs. I mainly used it for shooting from the car as I was too tight to get a decent spotlight setup. Thus it was plugged into the car most of the time and I only occasionally used the battery pack. It can be a bit of a PITA getting in and out of the car all the time with it mounted. The battery pack does seem a bit heavy at first but, again, you get used having it slung over your shoulder - you can even throw it in a small backpack. All-in-all it is a useful, loger-range walkabout setup. I've had it mounted on both the .22 and the .243.

They are a bit expensive and I haven't really decided if represents value for money, or not. It has played a hand in the demise of many hundreds of rabbits though.

FG, I've got one of the lightforce night hunter packs. The black/yelloow box with all the box and dice. It pumps out a heap of useable light, and I find the yellow halogen to be easier on the eyes than the white from LED (more to come in a minute). The problems I have with the nighthunter are: The switch is not in a terribly handy place. Don't get me wrong, its in a relatively close position to the light, but having a switch close so you dont have to move your hands would be nice. The other big one, is that dam 7aH battery pack. The should bag for it is comfortable, but its still a good few kilos you will have to drag around with you. The one last issue, is that the battery is only good for just over an hour. It's not regulated so its nice and bright and gets duller as the battery goes flat.

The good things are that the light output is great, it is very light. The mount makes it easy as to remove the light if you need to. The cord is long enough to be able to stand outside the car and shoot with it hooked up to the lighter socket.

On LED torches. Plenty of people on the forums love them, and sure I do too. They are nice, but no replacement for a good spotlight. I find that it's actually harder to spot small game with the LED compared to halogen, and as Fangster mentioned, the range is just not there. The light seems to peter out. I would shoot with my lightforce comfortably at twice the distance I'd shoot under LED. They do have their place thats for sure. I have a P7 and an EDI-T P11. Both run on AAAs and last I think about 30 hours or more. They both have a good slide focus, but the EDI-T P11 is definately a little brighter, although it actually has a square looking spot when it's at its tightest.

I do love my LED torches, and use them often for finding downed bunnies and foxes and walking arond, firearm issues, reloading etc. But I do think the nighthunter kits are worth the money.

Oh, the one other good thing, most LED torches are actually fixed (using ring style mounts) the lightforce has an adjustment wheel on the back of it to point it up or down. Pretty imporant unless you are using those fancy laser rifles that don't using projectiles subjected to gravity!

Good luck with it and let us know what you end up getting!

Jase

Problem is, it's hard to see how apples compare with oranges unless you can try them sidexsideon a dark night where there are no distractions.

If you take written recommendations or even if you just go by lumen output, it doesn't give you the full story, or even if they suit what you want/need/expect.

I just refer back to that story in the Aust Shooter about X21's and to me, that bloke gets excited pretty quickly in comparison to myself.

I reckon I have a $450, brick on a strap lemon. Thank goodness it's a tex deduction.

Aaaaargh, now I'm really confused.

Actually, I have the solution.

My hubby likes the idea of the LED because if their compactness. I'll let him buy whatever he wants, I'll try it out and then I'll get what I think will suit me.

Unfortunately the lightforce pack is pricy and sometimes you end up having to get the cheaper option out of simple economy. Hmm, will see and keep you posted.

Thanks for all the replies.

Buck passing. That's ALWAYS a soltuion. You go FG!

Jase

I received my ultrafire wf-008 led this week and it is a ripper! Much better than my p7 and the range you can get with it is around the 150-200 mark on a dark night.

The spot is really tight and bright. With my scope on 16x at the 200mt mark, visibility was excellent. I would have no problem at all talking shots out to this.

Ultrafire Wf-008 I cannot say better things about. It's like a bloody light sabre!

Anyone heard of the Edit P15? It's a LED with rechargeable AA batteries. $150 a piece. Is it any good? The rage is 100m so quite appropriate for a .22

I received my ultrafire wf-008 led this week and it is a ripper! Much better than my p7 and the range you can get with it is around the 150-200 mark on a dark night.

The spot is really tight and bright. With my scope on 16x at the 200mt mark, visibility was excellent. I would have no problem at all talking shots out to this.

Ultrafire Wf-008 I cannot say better things about. It's like a bloody light sabre!

Hi DG

Had a look on the net and the WF-008 is a good looking bit of kit. Where did you order it from and how will you attach to your rifle? Scope or barrel?

Cheers

Skully

Hi DG

Had a look on the net and the WF-008 is a good looking bit of kit. Where did you order it from and how will you attach to your rifle? Scope or barrel?

Cheers

Skully

Mate try these you cant wrong for the price and it blows my p7 led lenser away .You will need the correct batterys and charger to suit

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-wf-008-recoil-thrower-cree-q5-wc-230-lumen-led-flashlight-1-18650-2-cr123a-22934

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/oem-2-18650-lithium-battery-charger-110v-240v-ac-13820 http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-protected-18650-lithium-battery-2500mah-2-pack-blue-57 http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-nylon-mount-for-flashlights-and-lasers-1200090

We decided to go the humble option. My husband's new edit p-15 arrived yesterday and it's a beaut little light. It throws an excellent beam that is really well captured by the scope. The range is good too, that it to say it is adequate for a .22. Where the light starts to disperse is at a distance where you wouldn't shoot with a .22 anyway. Like further than 100m.

So, I'm going to get one too. The whole package, light, mounts, 2 batteries, a charger for $155 from ebay and it was delivered the day after ordering. WOW