Bino For Sale?

I've ben looking at a seccond hand set for a while, but new from the US seems to be generaly cheaper than seccond hand in aus.

I'm realy close to buying a set of Leupold Acadia Binos in 10x42, camo.

A mate had them , and they seemed to be realy good binos, and had a better field of view than both my Leupold Mesa 10x50, and redfield 7x50, and more clear and lighter in weight, but didn't get compare them in low light.

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/leupold-10x42-acadia-binoculars-reviews

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=732646&type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=Shopzilla&WT.z_mc_id1=732646&rid=40&mr:referralID=b1885ae5-635a-11e0-9f53-001b2166becc

Just an option as oposed to seccond hand in Aus, best of luck with it.

Good idea, i forgot about that, was possibly goin to buy LGS or off of someone so i can get them here ASAP :)

but yeh Os could b the way to go.

I used a mates swaros... an god damn they were clear when my shittas couldn pick up much, my loopy vx2 made out a bit but these binos were like someone turned the switch on an i could see more deer than first thought...

swaros are a big price, something a little less $$ would b ideal.

how did the Loopy go at first an last light?

The picture from the swaros was just bullshit!!! but not in my price range i guess.

I've only compared them to a pair of Leicas, so like you said no comparison between the two at all, but you can see much better through the binos at twilight than without them.

My mesa binos are ok, but a bit bulky for the sort of hunting I do, and like I said the 10x42's had a better field of view than the lesser model 10x50's., but comparing them at low light would be interesting.

There was a good review in the Wild Deer mag a few issues ago...., but I haven't compared anything with mine to comment realy.

Yeah lookin at the Cabelas site i could possibly be keen on the Meopta meopro 10x42s.... around my price range, although i think with binos ya either bite the bullet n go the high end good brand an get what has been reviewed as a popular set, or just go with somethin of an upgrade over your current set an go from there, if im 6 months ya not happy then go spend more... spose thats how il go cos swaros are out of my price range :)

Hey mate, i went to the LGS today an looked at some binos, for $245 i can get the Bushnell 8x42 which seems to be what im after for price aswell , upgrade of the old shittas...

he mentioned how America is killin the stores with binoculars an scopes.. i do prefer local of course, plus i can have them for tomorow :)

Think it is the excursion series off top of my head, will update tomorow.

WL

mate for $260 delivered from the US you can get a set of Nikon Monarch 10x42 real tree binos and they are fantastic; do a google review search.

They will be 5 x better than the bushnells.

25yr warranty also.

I love mine they are very bright and clear; the bushnells you are looking at are verry average.

mate for $260 delivered from the US you can get a set of Nikon Monarch 10x42 real tree binos and they are fantastic; do a google review search.

They will be 5 x better than the bushnells.

25yr warranty also.

I love mine they are very bright and clear; the bushnells you are looking at are verry average.

It depends which Bushnell you are looking at. I have two sets of Bushnell 7 x 50 Tactical and an InfinitySeries 8-16 x 42 zoom and they are both not close to Swarovski, but little is. I had a look throught the 10x50 swaros a week ago that are being released here soon and want them, but for $3,200 I will put up with my Bushnells for a while. To the other low to mid range binos,my Bushnell compare very nicely, without the hefty price tag.

The Bushnell 7 x 50 are great for low light and also have a ranging reticle in them.

go on cabelas and order the leupold cascades in 8x42. they are on sale because they have brought out a new model of them, but i garentee you that you won't be disapointed. I got them in January and everyone always compliments how clear they are for a pair of binos under $300. I have a mate who has a new pair of $3000 leica's and they are almost as clear as them!

It depends which Bushnell you are looking at. I have two sets of Bushnell 7 x 50 Tactical and an InfinitySeries 8-16 x 42 zoom and they are both not close to Swarovski, but little is. I had a look throught the 10x50 swaros a week ago that are being released here soon and want them, but for $3,200 I will put up with my Bushnells for a while. To the other low to mid range binos,my Bushnell compare very nicely, without the hefty price tag.

The Bushnell 7 x 50 are great for low light and also have a ranging reticle in them.

yep agree HH however for the $245 price tag here they would be the low end of the scale; they would be how much in the US? $120.

whereas the Nikon`s for example are $500-$600 here (afaik) $205 (without post) there if you follow my reasoning.

Just don`t want him to waste $240 on a cheap set if thats what they are.

For example i have a cheap set of bushnell binos that are absolute rubbish; also had a bushnell dusk and dawn which i also hated but i now have a bushnell elite 3200 which is tops imo.

I guess all i was asking was for the same money can you get alot better from the US? in my exp yes.

I agree machine, no doubt same thing NEW, when comparing apples to apples is always cheaper in the US. That's why the crafty distributors tie up exclusive deals on brands and get p1ssed off with parallel imports, that undercut their prices.

All I was saying that the zoom Bushnell I bought are over $900 here and $700 in the US and are a reasonable pair of glasses. Sorry if I sounded defensive, I am not. I will definitely buy some Swaros when i am rich and famous smile.gif.

I've just been through this myself. I am addicted to high quality gear. I've looked through possibly a hundred different sets of binos, including the cheap end around $120, and the high end around $2500 (cheap nasties to zeiss, swaros & leica)

So my requirements were:

1 Light Weight

2 Comfortable to use

3 Good range of adjustment

4 Fully multicoated

5 Good field of view

6 Close range focus of 40 yards

I found that most binos in the $300 and more range met the first 3 requirements, and often were either multi-coated or fully coated. Anything above $600 or so pretty much met all the requirements. Which means $600 or so (for me) met all my needs and the descision then got hard. I read stacks of reviews in addition to trying out stacks of them. Steiner are a brand that met my price range though, and when I focused my comparisons between Steiner and other expensive brands, I found that Steiners were the best for the money. I got some 8x42 for just on $700. They are Steiner Ranger Pro 8x42 (Bought locally, available online for $600 US from cabelas)

I have to say, I think they are comparable to the very expensive brands. The Leica Ultravid HD are a very good unit, and I had a hard time seeing the difference between the Steiners and the Leica. Not bad given the almost $2000 price difference. I experienced the same for the swaros and zeiss, though the swaros did have something more, probably because of the additional coatings and a little higher quality glass. That said, it certainly wasn't $2000 better. The Steiners "apparently" have coatings on them to reduce the effect of haze and greens, and increase "game" colours of browns and reds. I've tested these in the field, and I don't know that it's really a great selling point, but when comparing these to say a mid range zeiss of the same magnification/objective, the browns from the Steiners did seem a little easier to see. Rubber grips, integrated objective caps, ergonomic to use. I could use/carry these all day without any issues at all.

The descision was a little hard between the 8x42 and 10x42. Because I'll be using them a lot in bushland, I figured the 8s are a better way to go. Also after talking to one of the guys at the LGS, he has used 10x42s for a while, and is actually going to go back to 8x42, or even 7x50 (for the reduced magnification). I use a 3-9 power scope, and as I thought a little more about it, it seemed pointless to be glassing further than I could shoot.

My only complaint about these is that they really don't have a good occular cover. It's just a cheap and nasty neoprene style slide on cover.

Binos are one of those things that when you spend more, you just get better quality. I couldn't be happier with what I got. I, like you, didn't want to spend a few hundred and regret it, only having to spend more on another set. I am sure that the swaros, leica etc are very good, but even if I did have those dollars to spend, I just don't know that I would after using the Steiners.

Just my thoughts.

Jase

I've just been through this myself. I am addicted to high quality gear. I've looked through possibly a hundred different sets of binos, including the cheap end around $120, and the high end around $2500 (cheap nasties to zeiss, swaros & leica)

So my requirements were:

1 Light Weight

2 Comfortable to use

3 Good range of adjustment

4 Fully multicoated

5 Good field of view

6 Close range focus of 40 yards

I found that most binos in the $300 and more range met the first 3 requirements, and often were either multi-coated or fully coated. Anything above $600 or so pretty much met all the requirements. Which means $600 or so (for me) met all my needs and the descision then got hard. I read stacks of reviews in addition to trying out stacks of them. Steiner are a brand that met my price range though, and when I focused my comparisons between Steiner and other expensive brands, I found that Steiners were the best for the money. I got some 8x42 for just on $700. They are Steiner Ranger Pro 8x42 (Bought locally, available online for $600 US from cabelas)

I have to say, I think they are comparable to the very expensive brands. The Leica Ultravid HD are a very good unit, and I had a hard time seeing the difference between the Steiners and the Leica. Not bad given the almost $2000 price difference. I experienced the same for the swaros and zeiss, though the swaros did have something more, probably because of the additional coatings and a little higher quality glass. That said, it certainly wasn't $2000 better. The Steiners "apparently" have coatings on them to reduce the effect of haze and greens, and increase "game" colours of browns and reds. I've tested these in the field, and I don't know that it's really a great selling point, but when comparing these to say a mid range zeiss of the same magnification/objective, the browns from the Steiners did seem a little easier to see. Rubber grips, integrated objective caps, ergonomic to use. I could use/carry these all day without any issues at all.

The descision was a little hard between the 8x42 and 10x42. Because I'll be using them a lot in bushland, I figured the 8s are a better way to go. Also after talking to one of the guys at the LGS, he has used 10x42s for a while, and is actually going to go back to 8x42, or even 7x50 (for the reduced magnification). I use a 3-9 power scope, and as I thought a little more about it, it seemed pointless to be glassing further than I could shoot.

My only complaint about these is that they really don't have a good occular cover. It's just a cheap and nasty neoprene style slide on cover.

Binos are one of those things that when you spend more, you just get better quality. I couldn't be happier with what I got. I, like you, didn't want to spend a few hundred and regret it, only having to spend more on another set. I am sure that the swaros, leica etc are very good, but even if I did have those dollars to spend, I just don't know that I would after using the Steiners.

Just my thoughts.

Jase

I I totally forgot about Steiner, I have read many reviews about them and they are supposed to be not far from the quality of high end swarovski, leica etc, at 1/2 the price. I have yet to look through a pair but am expecting good things. I will probably end up with a pair or two of these too.