Video Camera

BenEast

Looking for a new video camera for hunting, wondering what sort to get? I want one with good zoom, good enough to get a good picture of a deer couple of hundred metres away. Doesn't need to be awesome, just got an okay picture. nothing that is going to cost me $500+ either!

Thanks ben!

Have a look at the Casio Exilim.

Some models like the EX-FH20 are fast enough to show your bullet in flight in a spotlight ( 1000 fps slow motion ) and the 20x optical zoom lets you recognize faces at 400m.

Casio doesn't have a great name where Camera's are concerned, but with the Exilim, they are in a class of their own - probably the best sports camera in the world, without any other manufacturer even coming close.

Can also take 40 fps @ 8 Megapixels - or shoot SD resolution continuous video.

Price? $1000. Market price on Ebay for NEW cameras - Around $300 to $500.

Pictures aren't as perfect as with some other models, but that's due to the very high speed CCD sensor. Which means that it's possible to crank up digital zoom to 60x and take a picture of someone's number plate at 100m while driving on a bumpy road - And I can tell you that it's luck as to whether the number plate is even in the image or not, but if it is, you'll probably be able to read it.

I even took a picture of Jupiter and Jupiter's moons with mine... without a telescope.

Nice camera. Never regretted the purchase.

David.

looks good! You haven't got any camcorders in mind?? I've already got a good point and shoot camera, just want some HD videos :)

They do make it in both camcorder and still format. Same internals, just different shaped housings...

All the original models were camcorder shape only.

There are a lot of reviews ( and video clips ) for them on Youtube.

Regards

David

I can't recommend any specific cameras per say.

The newer mid to high end DSLR cameras can record high def TV. Infact one TV show used a Cannon EOS 50 to film one of it's segments just to prove the quality of it.

You can screw on what ever lens you need for very close range to very far range. And you don't need to rely on a digital zoom which will only make the quality of the image worse.

The cons are it isn't as friendly to hold like a normal camcorder and after you add a few lenses it becomes a bit bulkier. And the better models with a lens kit an cost $1500 upwards.

The pros, can take stills with quality better then any point and shoot once you've learnt the camera.You're not restricted to a single lens like most low to mid end camcorders, so you can adjust the filming you are doing.

Just adding to my last comment -

david-sheep-300m.jpg

Sheep at somewhere between 250m and 300m away...

Effective zoom is around 80x. (20x optical, 4x digital) I've reduced the image resolution, but it's the full frame. I don't normally use digital zoom, but it is handy for checking stuff a long way away.

Regards

David