$450 To Spend On Range Finder / Spotting Scope

I have come to a value of $450 to spend on a range finder or spotting scope. Is there a device that is both or a they the same / different. I have a 22 and 22mag, will be purchasing a 204 in 3 months and a 308 in 12 months. I want something to know the distance so I can make the adjustments on my scope. Will a spotting scope do this or is that a separate device.

Thanks

I think youll need a range finder for the distances.

I thinka spoting scope is just for spoting at long distances 1 to 2 kms sort of thing.

range finder i think goes to about 1500m or yards but the more expensive ones might be better.

for your budget id be looking on cabelas or some other US site for a range finder.

sad to say but big things like that is better to get from the states. its crap for our shops but hey its cheaper. we earn our coin so a better product for buck is the way to go.

hope this helps.

cheers cam

Yes they are two different things. A spotting scope would be awkward to use in the field and does not range distance. I use 8x42 binos and a Leica 900yd range finder. I started with a Nikon Prostaff 440. Both do the job very well however the 440 will drop out at around 300yd from time to time whereas the Leica will consistently give a reading at that distance and longer. I have kept the Nikon as a back up range finder and use it for my .22 and .17

I enjoy using the range finder and use a small drop chart in the field for my 223 and 6.5x55 which enables me to adjust for the longer shots. I have hit rabbits to 250yds and beyond using this method.

I think the $450 will get you a very good range finder and I suggest you go with simple options that just give the distance rather than the ones that have have a variety of read outs on the screen. Less clutter, less chance of an error.

You can accurately judge distance with a spotting scope - but they are not 'range finders' so to speak. This is done by understanding the sub-tension rule; that is 1mil = 1m @ 1000m. All you need is to know the measurements of all markings within your scope (reticle pattern).

I think you will go over $500 for this RF in Aus but it is VG;

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/rangefinders/rx-1000i-with-dna-rangefinders/rx-1000i-tbr-with-dna-digital-laser-rangefinder/

It is 6x as well...

How far are you looking to shoot? If you only wish to shoot up to 400m, which lets face it, the average hunter won't go much farther than that. So if this is the case, why shell out for a swarovski or similar range finder when it will be of no use to you at all?

You can buy bushnel range finders for under $300 that will measure up to 450 ish metres. Save the rest of the cash to spend on decent rifle scopes or binoculars. A spotting scope really only comes in handy when you are trophy hunting and want to assess trophies from distance. A decent spotting scope will be starting around the $1000 mark.

I use a cheapo bushnell range finder called a yardage pro or something, it is not optically very good, but weighs bugger all and is accurate to 1m which is good enough for large game hunting. All my bino's and scopes are swarovski, the extra money does make a difference in those.