Skinning Knife

Foxdriver

A bunny should be pretty quick even if you do take it off in one piece.

Every one in my family that hunts has a mercator. Mine are black ones about 30 years old now. That and my Buck knife are the main instruments. Its kind of like a tradition, when you are old enough to hunt you get a Mercator. Used to take it to school too. Then again, I used to take a silenced .22 to school as well.

Hmmm, cost twice as much now;

http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/knives.html#mercator

Edited by Kikka

I use my own knives. This one i used last weekend on a 4 day hunt and skinned 2 great deers. Over many years i used so many big brand names and had to sharpen them a few times during skinning. But now i can do 2 deers and no sharpening :thumbsu:

2.jpg

1.jpg

nice looking knives psk,interesting shape,looks like they would "flow "well.do they have much weight in them? how does the edge stand up on tougher/larger skins like sambar ? most of my knives make think...I have 3 to4 inchesof blade but mainly use only the first 1 to 1 1/2 inches and have noticed a trend in more compact styles over the last few years.cheers

Thanks gsp.You know your knives. It flows really well having large radius belly. The design i made does not puncture the stomach when do your initial belly cut. It ways 180 grams because its 6mm thick. The other one i make is only 4mm thick so its lighter around 140 grams.

With mine being 6mm it helps when you want to break a bone. Cheers

I use my own knives. This one i used last weekend on a 4 day hunt and skinned 2 great deers. Over many years i used so many big brand names and had to sharpen them a few times during skinning. But now i can do 2 deers and no sharpening :thumbsu:

2.jpg

1.jpg

That is a nice looking knife PSK, and as gsp has said would flow very well, I bought a knife with a damascus blade in it which has a very thick blade, for the heavy work as well, it has been built with a mirboo handle, but the blade should hold a good edge and be ideal for the heavy work. Yet to try it out though.

2014-03-05043844-1.jpg

nice looking knife there brinny,good solid blade.is that a custom knife?.cheers

I actually bought the knife from an old chap at Little River when i was doing my pistol licence Gav, tells me he made it and a few others that he had on sale on the day, only paid $120.00 for it, i thought it was pretty good value.

PSK, Thanks for the tip re oiling the blade, :thumbsu:

I can't believe you fella's skin ya bunnies - all ya have to do is cut their feet off with seceteurs, put a nic in the skin along the backbone and pull em apart, takes seconds to do then just lop the head off - then just gut em (which is just a slit then flick type deal).

That's how I skin bunnies too.........however, I still love having a swag of knives, just like guns!!! ;)

I use a similar Buck Foxdriver, it's a Buck Bantam model 286 in orange camo. I used it for the first time to skin out a large critter the other night and it worked a treat. These models are still made in the USA and not china.

yeah shooter iv skun out a few foxes and a heap of rabbits and still havnt put the knife on a steel or stone yet

Happy Jack, they seem to bring them in without that feature, mine certainly did not come with one. Wish it did though, it would have been handy.

yeah shooter iv skun out a few foxes and a heap of rabbits and still havnt put the knife on a steel or stone yet

Yeah Foxdriver, I have found that they hold their edge very well and they are not that expensive. Bottom line is, Buck still make a good knife, at least the ones made in the States. I have not used one made in China but they too could be good