Spotting scopes

In the market for a spotting scope, don't want anything fancy.

Just looking for something that can see holes at about 200m from a .223 and .308.

Had a look at the bushnell range 15 to 45 x 50 compact, seems to do the job for $230 odd bucks.

Was wondering if anyone had experiences with spotting scopes?

And, is the magnification 15- to 45 adequate???

Cheers,

Hui

Would also be interested in the same v00dsy but would like to see out to 300.

It sure would make a more valuable day at the range, time wasted waiting for a cease fire to check 3 shots, not to mention get'in knocked up do'in 600m laps :)

Don't forget the US market with exchange rate still quite good, did you see the post i started in discussion?

I have a Bushnell Spacemaster 15-45 and its fine for everything that I do, Im sure that it would be more than enough.

I use it at the range and in the field and fine the optices very clear.

I got a spotting scope a few years back and its just not powerful enough. Even at 100m I can see better through the 24 power nikko stirling scope. Still, I use it sometimes on the 50m range cause its handy.

If I'm shooting at longer distances I take a telescope. Its got an awesome range of magnification, sure a bit less portable, but if your carrying a spotting scope you're not going light anyway.

Can't remember how much it was but I use it all the time, from 10m air pistol training up to 300m rifle work. Haven't tried to see how far out I could go but surely 1k is not out of the question.

Might like to compare some prices. I don't think you need brilliant optics, just good magnification.

Am I on my own here? It works for me :)

Youe slack batsrteds

That 600m your walking will toughen you up!

Get back to work vOOdsy

I know what your saying deaddog, but doing the 600, 6 or 8 times just to see what ajustments are needed, seem a waist of shooting time. Even with a spotting scope would still do the 600 twice. :rolleyes:

Still like to know what magnification to see bullet holes at 300yds, if anyone can help?

Don't mean to hijack your thread vOOdsy :unsure:

Coldchickens,

I've looked at some telescope prices, & thay seem more expensive than spotter's, & still not sure of power or quality.

I have wondered, why don't people buy the cheap telescopes? I saw them at Anaconda they were pretty cheap, I got one for about $60 a few years back, mounts on a standard camera tripod, not sure on the zoom exactly, but if you point it at the moon you will fill it. What is the difference between that and a "spotting scope"?

HEY Ive bought a 20-60 bushnell legend for about $250 US about a year ago . It's ok , you can clearly identify 22 cal holes at 200m , but i'd not say it's a good spotting scope , it does the job just . I'd look through as many as you can before you buy one .

BB your Sequoia? What sort of range can you ascertain a bucks head from ordinary to shooter?

What sort of clarity at the higher x end too please.

How is it in early/late night,i ask as although one of the top brands would be good i doubt if i would have the dough for them ever.

Hi Gryph, I've got the 15-45 x 50, for fine detail it's really only useful up to 30 power, 35 at the most. In good light though, you would certainly be able to judge length and width of head gear using it at 45. It's certainly not in the class of my mates Leica but for the money the Sequoia is damn good value. Very early and very late I usually use it on 20 -25 power.

Gryph, just a though mate, with the Aus dollar the way it is, it would pay to check out the price of a Nikon XL from the states, they are an excellent spotting scope.

I will look them up Shane,tar mate