Knives For Pigging - Whos Got What?

Pancho

i use eather a old timer fixed blade or a bowie style army knife with a serated top witch is razor sharp both knives hold the sharpness well the bowie is the best i was cutting 15mm rubber with the nylon webbing in it and after cutting it for about 1/2 an hour can still shave you hair off your arm

I have three main knives...

If I'm out with dogs, I carry my old commercial Dexter Russell 'sani-safe' 6" boner from the meatworks, that's been across the steel so many times it looks like a slightly curved 'Arkansas Toothpick"...that's my favourite 'sticker', I had a sheath made for it by a local saddlemaker to carry it in...

It's other advantages are the ruggedly non-slip handle(!) which is white, and thus easier to find if it gets dropped or put down, even at night or blood-covered.

On the other hand, if the hunt is a "walkabout rifle carry", I have a general purpose, upswept drop-point, a J. Russell, Green River Knife Works, 'black steel', wooden-handled job, which is better for general gutting and/or skinning.

It resembles the old traditional skinning blade ground back to a drop point...which coincidently, is exactly what I have done in the past to make a hunting knife...

My other purpose-bought main knife is a blue-handled FDick with an 8" blade, which is specifically for breaking down carcasses...

FYI.

Ed

yeh ive got the old army style bayonet, think its off the 303 ?

good advice ed ! ive lost a few knives now - i will put coloured electrical tape so i can see the knife at night if i misplace it..

have a general purpose, upswept drop-point, a  J. Russell, Green River Knife Works, 'black steel', wooden-handled job, which is

Green River knives are fantastic quality (for the price), whenever you are at a old farm clearing sale fosicking through all the crap stacked on the back of the dodge, you can usually turn up one of the old plastic handled ones, great steel.

Anyone who thinks they share my taste in knives might like to visit the site of the Sydney company, Everton Online, at www.everten.com.au, and take a look at the line of Dexter Russell processing knives. ;)

The plastic handled / stainless version of my Green River g/p knife, would be the #10101 SL12-5.25 Sheep Skinner @ $31.90.

The 'later model' of my 'sticker', is the #5448 D.R. 6" Backswept Boner @ $23.90

For just sticking, I also like the look of that #10149 D.R. 6" Flex Straight Boner @ $26.90...its apparently available in yellow and der handled versions too!

I have no idea who might make sheaths for them, so you'd have to try your local saddlemaker, as I mentioned in my earlier post...

TM...Have my doubts about that electrical tape, mate...reckon I'd rather fork out a few bucks for a top quality, white-plastic-handled knife, than deal with the tape maybe coming unwrapped and going 'sticky-slippy' while I was arguing with a good pig! :unsure:

Ed