Waterproof Boots

My employer provides these for me:

Oliver Bowen All Terrain Mining Boot: AT’s sole consists of a lightweight, shock absorbing low density PU (Polyurethane) midsole which cushions the foot on impact to provide unmatched comfort and help reduce foot, leg and lower back fatigue. The high density hard-wearing TPU (Thermo Plastic Urethane) outsole provides superior grip and abrasion resistance. This sole is designed to resist most oils and chemicals and is hence suited to the majority of industrial, construction and mining working environments. Oliver AT's also uses the new innovative Hi-Impact ALLOY Type 1 toe cap which is more than 40% lighter than traditional steel toe caps and still exceeds the Australian and New Zealand Standard AS/NZS2210.3.

Though they look heavy and clunky, they are a delight to put on your feet.

They also have metatarsal protection, which is padding over the instep. These things last me a year of everyday use (12 hr shifts, 5 days a week).

They ARE a little pricey at about $400 a pop but as I say the boss pays.

They are perfect for hunting. I haven't had wet feet yet.

post-4473-1186024216_thumb.jpg

one of the inherent problems of that type of sole material is that crossing rivers/creeks/wet logs etc (sambar ground)they can be akin to ice skates on ice...the old rossis were good for that role but most other types skate espec vibrams which i wouldnt give a goat turd for.

I have apair of Rocky goretex,and they do the job well.I have also got a pair of Trail water proof all leather boots from aussie disposals.They are chalk and cheese.The only prob I have is that thick winter socks won't allow my feet to fit the rocky's properly,so hense the second pair.I am impressed with the rocky's you have bought rono.They will do the job for you.

Gryphon said

one of the inherent problems of that type of sole material is that crossing rivers/creeks/wet logs etc (sambar ground)they can be akin to ice skates on ice...the old rossis were good for that role but most other types skate espec vibrams which i wouldnt give a goat turd for.

I wish you had told me that 4 years ago! How about a sheep turd instead for my Vibram soled boots? :D

I bought them on a sale from a Kathmandu store for some Tassie hiking. Made in Italy, waterproof, well constructed, kept me feet dry and great comfort for walking all day when hunting or week long hikes. But with the Vibram soles, I have to keep away from any wet logs or rocks as you would get a quick lesson in skating.

Why make a great boot then f*#k it up with crappy soles? It's like buying the best 4WD in the world to go bush and then putting slicks on it!

Gryphon said

I wish you had told me that 4 years ago! How about a sheep turd instead for my Vibram soled boots? :D

I bought them on a sale from a Kathmandu store for some Tassie hiking. Made in Italy, waterproof, well constructed, kept me feet dry and great comfort for walking all day when hunting or week long hikes. But with the Vibram soles, I have to keep away from any wet logs or rocks as you would get a quick lesson in skating.

Why make a great boot then f*#k it up with crappy soles? It's like buying the best 4WD in the world to go bush and then putting slicks on it!

EXACHORY!

tHOUGH LOTS OF BLOKES SAY THEY DONT HAVE ANY PROBS WITH THEM..HMMM I SUSPECT that they dont go where we do eh!

I had a pair of columbia madura peak II and the new rocky,s win hands down for grip in the victorian bush but saying that i have walked into lakes in Tassie in the columbia,s and they where great being fairly flat....

I wear Rossi Eagles, a few coats of Dubbin followed by a couple coats of Snow-Seal keep my feet dry.

That's what I have used for years, still do depending on terrain. Good for cold weather, walking through wet grass, small puddles etc, but....

A problem with 100% waterproof non-breathable boots is you end up just as wet from sweat as you would from the outside environment. Or worse, if you step in a deep creek they fill with water and dont drain.

Nowdays I just accept that my feet will get wet and wear something like the taipans. They have drain holes, and more vented areas so they dry faster.

Look into the newer generation socks too.

In defence of the rocks i wear i only use a thin summerweight sock all year,no need for thick socks at all for either comfort or warmth

That is what I do with my Rocky's gryph.My problem is that I don't like to have cold feet,so they don't get much of a run during winter.They are a fantastic boot,as you can testify to,with heaps of good grip.