Waterproof Boots

Some of the kiwis that I hunted with in NZ wear the following boot

http://www.ajsafety.com.au/?showPage=x302&...category_id=277

# 62074

BATA P.V.C. DAIRY BOOT COMES IN STEEL TOE AND NON SAFETY. THEY HAVE LACES TO GIVE YOU THAT EXTRA SNUG FIT WITH A GUSSET TONGUE TO PREVENT WATER GETTING IN THROUGH THE LACE UP AREA. SIZES 6 TO11, NO 1/2 SIZES

NON SAFETY DAIRY BOOT $24.50+GST

Not for everyone but may suit some people, possibly waterfowlers who dont need a full wellington

Cheers

Len

I was lucky enough to keep my taipan boots from the defence force. I have never changed the laces in them yet, but I will have to take note of how its done before I do... I don't know what I will do if they ever wear out!

The most popular boot for north island hunting over the past 35 or more years would be Bullers, just burn a hole with a hot wire in either side in the instep and you're away. Minimum care required, and they last for years!.

Skellerup Buller Lace Up Gumboot

Ankle height lace up rubber boot. Water proof tongue gusset. Heavy duty cleated sole.

Ankle length gumboot.

Sizes: 6 - 13.

Sizes: 6-13

skellerup_i123.jpg

or you can just do like the army boys and if you know your going to have wet feet for a bit - put a freezer bag on over your sock and then put on your boots

C'mon guys, its the 21st century. Its called GoreTex. Raichle make a kick arse comfy, totally waterproof, breathable walking boot, along with many other brands. Go to a hiking shop - Mountain Designs etc. Or you can wear lace up gumboots, coz they look really comfortable.

If you're just walking around in damp grass and want to keep your toes warm, go for it, but GoreTex isn't going to make a lot of difference while crossing creeks up to your knees or deeper..... As for Bullers, don't knock them until you've tried them.

The Kiwi.

Taipan hot weather boots for me - not waterproof but most times if I encounter water it's deep anyway. Super light, very comfy and have been very durable. They are designed as a "jungle" or "desert" boot and dry out real quick. Best boots I've ever had

http://www.highmark.com.au/military8.htm

Also have a pair of their kangaroo's http://www.highmark.com.au/military7.htm for if it's cold - apply boot goo to them and they are pretty much waterproofed.

Fen - what are the Taipans worth do you know ?? i see Lawrance Ordnance in the city carrys them but just wanted to know a ball park before i make a run into the city

I use Taipan and love them, you can walk through water and not get wet, but I did manage to get week feet walking through snow. Other than that the boots are awesome, youcan walk all day with them.

Fen - what are the Taipans worth do you know ?? i see Lawrance Ordnance in the city carrys them but just wanted to know a ball park before i make a run into the city

$175 a pair is what the factory lists them at.

I get 'em for free for work.

:lol:

well to be honest i dont think of water proof boots as more water repelling boots

why because all those lovely bush walks in tassie made me belive this....

YOUR FEET WILL GET WET NO MATTER WHAT!!

so just make sure your boots and socks are very comfy so it wont matter!!

On extended hunts when we cross the river daily i wear a pair of wet suit boots across the river then stick my goretex jobs on...i often cross back in the same place so i leave my wetties behind,if not they weigh frig all anyway to take with me...and believe me the goretex rockies i wear keep my feet dry all day even hunting fringe country in wringing wet capeweed etc,nothing is much wetter than that shiit.

A big plus is that you dont have to snowseal them at all....if you use leather boots scam the wifes hairdryer and load your boots up with snowseal, just keep adding layers of it till the leather is saturated....forget the dubbin as its an animal fat product and will often rot your natural (not synthetic) stitching and it also allows the leather to stretch,two pairs of Rossi Eagles treated that way (great tread) tell me that,now im a huge fan of the lightweight,waterproof yet very robust and super comfortable yank stuff.