KNIVES FOR HUNTING

black bear 84

There is some very nice craftsmanship going around

Some look to nice to use.

The knife I currently use was bought with the sole purpose of being used.

I have a few others that are to good to use. I also collect swords, bayonets and more knives.

Here is the knife I currently use.

post-394-1195373010_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matty_243

Very beefy.

What are the measurements on that?

Matty,

The measurement are under the knife.

Yes Beefy but very useable as I have asked a couple that have used and recomend them.

As soon as mine arrives I will get some picks on hear with the other two that I use when out hunting/camping.

There are a couple more on this page 2nd & 3rd down on the right. http://www.mayallknives.com/Knife%20photos...tos%20THREE.htm

What do you think of these knives? they are going fairly cheap on ebay.

The red and black handle one's blade is about 8inchs long and the silver one's blade is about 10inchs.

I want to hunt deer in the near future, would these be any good for deer?

post-1326-1197001051_thumb.jpg

post-1326-1197001061_thumb.jpg

The red and black handle one's blade is about 8inchs long and the silver one's blade is about 10inchs.

Well, if you get close enough I suppose ;)

Seriously though, unless you really are planning on leaping on them and stabbing them to death I would steer clear of such designs. For skinning and dressing a deer the last thing you want is such a big cumbersome knife. Instead your ideal knife for skinning and gutting is likely to be a drop-point of about 3-4" blade length, made of good quality steel and very sharp.

I have a bit of a weakness for knives, and here are some of the ones I like:

dansknives.jpg

Probably my favourite skinning knife is the Helle "Eggen", second from the right in the top row. It has a good shape for skinning deer-sized animals and the laminated steel blade maintains a scary-sharp edge. Even the folders down the bottom will do the job (except perhaps the little stockman at bottom left, and the two smaller Swiss Army knives, which are a bit too small for skinning deer, but good for detail work and handy for other uses too). The Victorinox Hunter (third from the right on the bottom) is particularly versatile, as it has a gutting blade and bone saw as well as a locking main blade:

navaja-hunter.jpgYou just don't need or want some great big dagger.

Ok Dan thanks for that.

What is the best method for keeping your knife as sharpas possible?

Generally you should carry a fine steel, to give the edge a freshen up occasionally as you use it.

After a while that won't be enough, and that is where a set of "stones", which might equally be ceramic or diamond nowadays, comes into play. I find the Lansky sets good for this, as they have a graduated set of stones and a bracket arrangement to assist in getting an even bevel. You can also do a pretty good job with a sheet of glass and a set of abrasive papers down to 600 or even 1200 grit. The main thing is to use some detergent or water to clear the grindings away and to concentrate on getting an even bevel of about 20 degrees on both sides.

I have the black handled one, haven't used it yet though.

Had a lot of trouble getting it into OZ, was confiscated at customs.

Had to submit paperwork to get it back0

Have a look at my thread "my collection" :)

As promised earlier ;) hear is the Custom Knife from Mayall Knives it arrived 3 days ago & it has an awsome edge to :D

Theresheis.jpg

GnomesSheath.jpg

You even get a real nice cap with your order.

CapKnife.jpg

Also hear are the other knives that I take out with me from time to time.

TheAssortment2.jpg