250Kg Safe

ruby

Im thinking about using one, but am concerned about the damage it might cause to the floorboards due to its weight.

Has anyone had this trouble in the past? I really cant drill any holes to bolt it down.'

Thanks.

Im thinking about using one, but am concerned about the damage it might cause to the floorboards due to its weight.

Has anyone had this trouble in the past? I really cant drill any holes to bolt it down.'

Thanks.

make sure it is sitting on a good beam, i used to have a 400+ fish tank on wooden floorboards I got under the house and put some extra support

250 kgs aint that heavy realy when you think, thats the same as 3 blokes sitting on a couch and you dont hear about people falling thru the floor all the time watching the footy.

biggest drama would be gittin the thing in and out the house.

greg

If you have a wooden floored house with wooden beams underneath - so long as the weight of the safe is distributed across the beams and not just on the boards you shouldnt have any problems try to spread the weight of the safe across 3 beams

regards

Len

250 kgs aint that heavy realy when you think, thats the same as 3 blokes sitting on a couch and you dont hear about people falling thru the floor all the time watching the footy.

biggest drama would be gittin the thing in and out the house.

greg

3 Blokes sitting on a lounge, the weight is distributed over a larger area, with (usually) 4 contact points with the ground. 1 250kg safe utilizing a much smaller contact area at only 1 point will be more concentrated. Reinforce it, Or at least make sure you place it on a beam.

I'm going to be up for a new safe, as we're moving into a rental. Dunno how the landlord would take it if I was to drill a few holes in their nice carpet...

According to the law in WA you do not have to bolt the safe to the ground/wall if it cannot be moved

You can achieve this by putting ingots of lead into the safe on the floor; if you put enough weight into the bottom and it cant be moved it satisfies the law

Scrap metal dealers sell ingots of lead quite cheaply

Cheers

Len

I live in a rental,put safe in built in robe drilled 4 hole's thru carpet and floor put coach bolts in holes

got under house and did up nuts,too easy ,when i move i doubt landlord will closely inspect floor of

wardrobe.

Trav

250kg is heavy. also even if you have 4 people lifting it they might have trouble having all 4 holding on going through the door.

with the lead weight in the bottom of safes is there a risk of getting rusty and spreading to the guns?

Edited by JohnSmith

250kg is heavy. also even if you have 4 people lifting it they might have trouble having all 4 holding on going through the door.

with the lead weight in the bottom of safes is there a risk of getting rusty and spreading to the guns?

Lead doesn't rust John :rolleyes:

I live in a rental,put safe in built in robe drilled 4 hole's thru carpet and floor put coach bolts in holes

got under house and did up nuts,too easy ,when i move i doubt landlord will closely inspect floor of

wardrobe.

Trav

Ya should have the nuts INSIDE the safe mate,not under the house.

In queensland you only have to bolt the safe down if it weighs less than 150kg.

Same in NSW only need 150kg (this is from memory as info is downstairs but its either 140 or 150 for sure)

also from memory there was 2 classes of safe the 150kg unbolted for A&B class weapons

and another set of standards for Shotguns ect i think the second class of safe had to be heavier if unbolted.... :ph34r:

funny i was just reading it yesterday cos am makin a reloading bench for my spare room and thought id bone up on the regs for ammo storage.... and now i try to remember specifics its all cloudy :lol:

old age at 25 :blink:

um i have a 2 storie house with wooden floorboards, i think the 150kg safe would be fine in here... but id prolly not try it with a 250kg+ safe :o

by the way for weighting down i use iron weights i had on my benchpress and dumbells ect....

> ooops i just realized this thread is 4months old after i posted xD, prolly all sorted out by now <

Edited by ARIES