What Camo Gear Do You Use?

cheers mate :D shame it dosnt let u zoom in and have a good look at it

You can buy a 3D Suit as cheap as that in Australia, and get to look at it before you

buy, and that has been matched to Australian bush colours (mainly brown).

In fact some suits are less than that.

...that has been matched to Australian bush colours (mainly brown).

Which might play a part if what you are hunting percieves colour like a human. Other species don't though, and I haven't hunted humans for a fair while now ...

The shade of the camo matters way more than the color. If you are a dark blob amongst a patch of light grass you will stand out like dogs nuts and if you camo is all light and sandy and you try to hide in the shadow of a patch of blackberries, the same.

Whatever camo you get just try to get something that will blend in with the general shade of the area you are likely to hide when waiting for that deer to step out from behind the tree. Think about the small patches you hide in, not about the general bush you walk through as there is no camo that will fool a deer if you are caught walking down the trail when it looks up.

I have found that open and light patterns work best for the types of hunting I do, others have found that darker and busier patterns work best for them, but what is certain is that no such thing as magic camo that works every time.

This is my mate Zed man. He loves a light color for some things, and it certainly works if you are hiding in small patches of bracken calling in dogs. He called this one in and I was flanking it so when it got to about 60 metres from him it caught a 30 cal silvertip :)

wilddogmay270602forpm.jpg

And this is what I wore that day. I just had to prop at the base of a tree when I figured out what the dog was doing and wait for him to come in. He was standing and calling not 50 metres from me when I shot him.

wilddogmay2706forpm.jpg

Z shot this from 40 metres in open forest as it sat chewing its cud, no camo needed

zellsbuck1.jpg

Kiwi shot this one at 50 metres wearing just a tshirt and his undies :D No camo needed

malanddoe.jpg

Z in his winter 3D stuff. When he gets into the bracken with this on he is all but invisible.

mesospiker.jpg

Anyway

The point I am trying to make is that how you get around in the bush, and the choices you make when deciding how to go about your stalk make up most of what will get you your game, the camo is just insurance for when you make a mistake and/or things don't go as you planned it.

And note that although you can't see it in the pics we often wear face masks and gloves, the shine off your skin can be a giveaway if the sun hits you.

Which might play a part if what you are hunting percieves colour like a human. Other species don't though, and I haven't hunted humans for a fair while now ...

OK, I mentioned Brown but the stuff is tested to make sure it is flat neutral to animals

and has enough variation in it to provide a break up pattern.

I understand camo and how it works for both humans and animals.

The changing temperature of the places we like to hunt makes the 3D camo worth twice as much to a hunter as a set of Auscams. You just wear whatever cloths you need to under them and get out there. That photo of me with the deer was from the week before ANZAC day and the daytime temp' was over 30 degrees, and here is the same camo, still working well but with different cloths underneath, in -3 degrees (that is snow on the bushes around me)

2006_1028012.jpg

Just buy your 3D camo with enough room so you can wear whatever cloths underneath you need to in order to keep comfortable.

Cape York, nearly 40 degrees at 10am.The boars were already wallowing and I found this guy sitting in a puddle he was so hot already. Did I say already how much I like the ASAT gear? :)

capeyorkboar2.jpg

Thats the key Jindy...being comfortable. You may need a couple options (patterns) but Im very much into being able to "layer up" as they say. Its also crucial to staying alive in certain emergency situations, especially in the cold + wet scenarios.

Muz