Range Finders

hey all, I had a thread about this topic before (done a search) & just wondering what are peoples thoughts on them....

also what type of a rangefinder + functions ect ect.... how far & how accurate :)

im keen on this for my .17hmr (sighted in sweet @ 150yards) but im allways finding my self taking shots little bit further out then i should be...

i know i should of bought a better (higher priced) scope but this little barska .17 hot magnum is dam good!

http://www.barska.com/hmr.html

heres a little write up about it:

BULLET DROP TECHNOLOGY

To provide extreme accuracy for the .17 Magnum Rimfire caliber, the scope’s elevation knob is precisely calculated to compensate for the elliptical drop of the .17 Magnum Rimfire with a 17 grain bullet. Once you complete the zeroing process at 100 yards, all you have to do is match the elevation turret indicator with the 100yds marking on the knob. From this point, your trajectory can be compensated for any yards from 100 up to 300 yards simply by turning the elevation knob to the desired setting.

ahhhhhh men!

:)

& for the 20grain i compensate by adding another 5 - 15yards lol

anyway back on topic about the rangefinders yeah im alittle unsure which/what to buy...

thanks.

i highly recomend it.... its better& more clear then tasco's

the bullet drop is THE best thing about it!!! the only down fall is its in YARDS!!!! wtf?

ahh well im use to it now i can convert metres to yards easy as now lol!

SO i got one of them wheel things (messures distances) on a telescopic broom handles

SO i pre mesured 91.4metres (100yards) & 137.16 meters (150 yards) ALSO 182.88 meters (200 yards) & marked it all out in my girlfrends back yard.... useing 44gallon drums with paper targets...

i tell you what, i click the elevation knob to 100yards 5shots 1/2" to 3/4" groups easy.

then i moved onto the 150yards (still on 100yards settings) shot low.... so i clicked it around to 150 bang right on target (elevation wise) the wind had pushed it off course bit under 2 inches... awesome!

now 200 yards same thing left it on 150 then clicked it up to 200yards could not belive this scope.. it grouped nice, it was a little windy other then that it is marvellous.

the elevation knob reckons it can go all the way to 300 yards ayy might have to give it a go (cant wait) now for a calm no windy weekend, here we come.

i was kinda keen on this but got talked outta it.... then just went with my gut & thought i might give it a go... yep this scope its staying on thats for sure....!!!!

Edited by eggman

Well done mate, good to see it is working for you.

Can't ask for much more than that, can you?

P.S. Distance is hard to gauge. A good easy way is to use your car's odometer, on some landmarks.

And say, that is 100m, that is 200m, that is 300m and that is way too far, at 400m. LOL.

yeah hence why i want/need this "range finder" to get all them in between & hard to estimate further out shots ect ect

to help my learning curve :)

oh yeah the price ranges from $120 qround to $200 depends on where you shop....

Edited by eggman

Mate,

I am a Carpenter/Builder.

All my life has been measurements.

But I would save your money and spend it on something else, in my opinion, but try and learn distances.

Because different hunting situations, will need you to judge it, straight away.

You can't say to Mr Fox, or Mr Rabbit, just a moment fellas, I need to get my range finder on you.

I am not being a smart aleck, just one blokes opinion.

There are much smarter blokes on here than me, see what they say.

just wondering, can rangefinders work at night time..?

might sound like a dumb question.

I'm not an expert but since they work on a laser - I would say so long as you can see the object that you want to range enough to be able to place the rangefinders crosshair/dot on it; it should work

I'm sure someone on this site that owns one will be able to give you a definite answer very shortly

:)