Garmin Gpsmap 60csx

Rono

Has anybody had any dealings with this GPS i am looking to update my etrex with something i can use in the car as well

I have been using one for a while...Its a very good unit, but some of the later garmin units including the current top end Etrax,

are getting even better reviews as for as reception/lock on is concerned..

I've not really used it in the car much as I didn't think it was configured for that sort of thing besides which I have an older Garmin StreetPilot for in car use..

Thanks for that pete

I here you can use them in the car and i would like to hear some feed back from anyone that has or does...

I will be using it mainly for hunting but i like the option for car use

I suspect you guys get this as "after market" software? Certainly I 've seen additional(better) mapping software thats is available in NZ for instance.

With regards to using the 60CSX for car navigation, it won't have a voice facility to give directions and I suspect the screen would be a bit small to read the map easily while driving...

Although you don't need it, when using it in the car, one of the small mag-mount external antennas really make these units sing especially if you are driving in areas where reception is difficult ie under heavy tree cover..I want to get an external power cord of mine, but they are quite expensive and I rarely use the 60csx this way unless "greenlaning"..

Edited to add, if I were buying again, I'd seriously look at the Satmap Active 10 GPS...If its available in Oz, I'd seriously recommend you consider it. It has the same type of GPS chip as the Garmin , but has far better features and mapping software, atyleast here in the UK anyway..

Its also a touch cheaper than the Garmin as well..

Edited by Pete E

I got a GPS Map60 at xmas time and it seems a pretty good unit for hunting at least. I haven't used it in the car and don't intend to but for the price of the incar units these days I would just grab one of each if I wanted/needed one.

As a hunting unit I've only used mine once (it's been too hot since xmas) but have downloaded the shonkymaps topo of my hunting areas and marked points of interest that I already had co-ords for and it works a treat.

Cheers,

Waldo

Has anybody had any dealings with this GPS i am looking to update my etrex with something i can use in the car as well

i am actually looking at purchasing the same one Rono from what i have read its meant to be pretty good but havent really heard any first hand reviews. this is the best price i have found so far.

60csx

it seems the only difference between the 60cx and the 60csx is the csx has the electornic compass and barometric altimeter. So my question is, is it worth paying the extra $40 or so just for those two extras??

P.s. sorry to hijack the thread Rono but i thought it might interest you as well.

Rono,

You should also consider upgrading your etrex to the current model. I use an etrex Vista HCx, and it's a great unit (I use it both for hunting, and in the car). 2GB storage card holds all of the street info for australia, as well as 10m contour line topos for the whole country.

It's rugged as hell, I've taking it to some shocking places - even dropped it out of a boat once ('waterproof' to 30 mins at 1m depth).

They are at the the upper end of the scale in terms of cost, but you'll be using it for years to come.

Just another opinion...

Cheers,

Rono,

I've had a GPSMap60CSx for a few years, mainly for bushwalking and hunting. It's a great unit. For the car, using City Navigator, it is small and it doesn't have voice prompt, but it does the job. A little bit of time needs to put into setting it up for when you want overview or zoom in to work automatically. I've loaded it up with City Navigator, OZ Topo, Tracks 4 Australia, Speed Cameras etc and BlueChart Pacific (yes boating too) In other words every topo map (20m and in some locations 10m contour interval) of Australia, all the roads and nearly every 4WD track in Australia plus all the marine charts from Tasmania to PNG and east to New Zealand, and I've still got room for all my tracks, waypoints etc with room to spare.

It's small, compact, lightweight, colour screen and can run off every day batteries, rechargable, aux power, and if you want to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft it has a "jump profile" with altimeter and best chute release. Yep, I like my Garmin GPSMap 60SCx.

R2

PS:

It also connects seamless to my laptop and using "nRoute" I’ve got voice prompt and a 15" colour screen. It also interfaces through the marine nav software so you can superimpose the nav chart and radar, autopilot, and the search and rescue software for Man Over Board.

It's water-resistant to 1.5m if I can remember correctly so attached to a float and lanyard it will not zap out if I drop it in the water accidentally.

I've tested it's performance in acquisition, positioning and overall use against a few of the other brands and I'm not at all disappointed.

Maybe I should be a Garmin rep. (and get a spell checker….lol)

R2

Robmaz,

Check out this site - it's where i've bought most of my stuff over the years (all over the net/phone). 60csx is a little more here, but come with a 1gb card.

Thanks 700sps but i dont think you did it right cause i cant click on anything.

With the Garmin 60 can you as with the lowrance and mark a spot with an icon only? Mainly used it in the boat until the lowrance died. In a general area I use one way point to navigate to the area and plot my way to each icon that represents fishing spot or rockbar. If using waypoints the screen becomes cluttered with the names all over the screen verses an icon mark. The lady at Garmin could not tell me over the phone today as I do not think see actually use the units.

i got the 60cx a few months back with the topo australia map. was looking around for a while and the ones a bit cheaper and thort F@#k it i will just get a good one seam i will be hunting alone a bit this year.

i went to a GPS shop along St kilda road and the guy suggested this was the best one for me. its got topo lines, bush tracks floats, can handle water and so on. just remember you have to buy the maps aswell which are around 200 but you can get ones for different countries if you intend to travel, water ones, city ones and the normal.

i have used it driving around home it dose not speak but gives a little BEEP when you have to do sooe thing like turn.

i have only used it half a dozen times and have had no problems with it.

Fantastic unit while they're working. Unfortunately mine's going back for a warranty claim after only 6 outings. Appears that the power button has shifted and am unable to turn it on. How old is it? I'm still waiting for the 12volt power cord and handlebar RAM mount to turn up! BUGGER. Anyone else had/heard of this happening?