G'day all

Need to get myself a pair of binos. I am looking at some 10x42's or 8x42's.

After using a mates leica bino/rangefinder combo i would love too get them but dont want to spend the 3k on a pair of binos.. yet :lol:

I am more looking at spending between $300 - $500 mark.

Currently there are some good prices on basspro expecially for some Nikon Monarchs which i heard have been getting a good rap..

Nikon Monarch..click here

I can get some 10x42s for around $330 AUS

Can anyone here give me first hand opinion on these.. or would you recommend another brand for that price? Leupold? Bushnell?

Thanks

Huffy

Edited by Huffy

Have a good look at the Leupold Cascade 10x42, these are a very good mid-level bino and great value for money IMO. I know several hunters who use them, myself included, and all have given good service. Bright and clear, good low-light performance (for a cheaper bino) and no eye strain even with extended use.

M96

PENTAX 8 X 43 DCF-SP

Picked up a set on ebay delivered from the US for under $500AUD. Over $800 here.

Shopping in the US is good at the moment with the Aussie $ close on $0.85USD

This is the store i got em through-

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/The-Photograph...d__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I did a bit of homework on these and for the money I couldn't be happier.

G'day Huffy,

I have a set of Bushnell Trophy 10X42's.

I had the opportunity to get to a Basspro shop in the states and checked out just about all the above mentioned binos. I did get them outside too. While not Leupold quality, I found these to be good quality vs cash outlay.

I forget how much I paid but they are a great investment for the hunting I do, ie not too much low light situations.

And they come in realtree patterns if your into that wanky stuff.

Tadge

Thanks for the replys guys

ill most probably buy the Nikon Monarchs.... then i seen these

Bass Pro

$230 AUS

ahhh decisions decisions..

wonder if they will perform as good as the nikons.. probably not if you go for the rule of thumb... you get what you pay for

Huffy

Edited by Huffy

Will do Tadge! Thanks mate

you mentioned that when you bought your binos you said "While not Leupold quality, I found these to be good quality vs cash outlay" when you say that are you comparing them to the green ring or gold ring binos.. Cause the leuopold green rings compete with nikons and bushnells in price pretty well. If the leupold are regarded alot better in quality then im best of staying with them.

The leupold Arcadias 10x42's are $230.00

Leupold Cascade 10x42's $414.00 on ebay

Leupold Mojave 10x42's $450.00 on ebay

i have a Leupold VX3 scope which i am extremely happy with so i guess the quality of glass has too be as good..

Huffy

Leupold mate, they will be good money for value and proform up to ur standads. im currently using a borrowed pair of Bushnells and the Leupolds are so much more better for little price difference.