Infrared Bulb

Funky Munky

I'm trying to find an infrared bulb to fit a lightforce 140 for a little project. Not having much luck so far. Anyone know if they make them for it or do they just make the filters?

Has anyone used the infrared filter on the Lightforce spotlights? I'm not sure if it will make the right wavelength to be picked up properly.

You will not find a bulb...

Lightforce DO have Infrared Len Covers - but I have not seen them for 140, only 240 and 170 size.

BTW - the Infrared covers aint cheap either!

Probably not available for the 140 as they do not have enough Light power to through a decent infrared beam.

As was said, you won't likely get a IR globe. Most IR globes that I'm aware of are LED's and won't suit the spotlight.

All globes however emit IR light. The IR filter just blocks Blue, Green and most of the Red light.

If you really want, goto a photography equipment store and grab some filter gels. You can make up your own IR pass filter.

This info also works for taking pictures, but remember to use a tripod with long exposures to compensate for the lack of light getting thru.

Here's a link to how to make/get IR pass filters,

http://members.misty.com/don/irfilter.html

And here's a link to make your own gels cheaply.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Photography-Gels/

Funky Munky I have used the red filter on a light force spotlight and can tell you from experience they work. Apparently foxes and other ferals are unable to notice the light when it is red.

If I may I will tell a story that happened with my brother and I.

We were hunting in a paddock and spotted a fox coming toward us in the spotlight, we turned the light of and put the redlens on it then turned it back on and picked up the fox at about 100yds. The wind was blowing from the fox towards us so he couldnt get our scent . I told my brother we wouldnt shoot until we saw how close the fox would get before he spotted us.

We patiently waited and the fox kept coming until it was so close i could have hit it with a stick. my brother yelled BOO at the fox and it nearly did a cartwheel it ran about 10yds then stopped to see what it was and we let it have it with the 12gauge.

I dont know if you will get a true infared globe but certainly dont be scared to use the red lens. Just dont expect to be able to shoot at extra long range.

red filter is different to an infrafrd filter!

you will only see a low purple glow from the infrared lens...

not enough to see past you nose!

It only works with Night vision equipment.

but you will get HEAPS more distance than those night vision illuminators!

They do make the filters for the 140. From what I have seen they are about $80-90.

Might just go get one of these filters and see what it works like.

I'm just trying to increase the range on some old night vision equipment.

FM I have used lightforces infra red filter on my SL240 in conjunction with

night vision binos and goggles. They work great everything you will see will

be in shades of green, animals eyes will also light up a bright green when you

have the spotlight on them. Works well but I gave up trying to hunt this way

as you have to much equipment strapped to you. You will be able to see game

that your mates cant, and you will also have the problem of how do you shoot

the game u spot. You cant shoot through a scope with NV gear strapped to

your face, and its virtually impossible to shoot over a shotty as well.

If you had a NV scope things are still awkward you will need

someone to hold the spotty for u and if you have the IR filter on they wont

be able to see what they are pointing the spotty at, unless they are using NV

gear also. Mounting the spotty with IR filter on a NV scope wont help either

as you will soon get sore arms waving the NV scope and spotty mounted rifle

around trying to find game in the dark. We found it all too cumbersome, too

many wires and too much weight to cart around. Made for a good experiment

but it was costly as well.

Cheers

Haha. Cheers Penguin. Very informative.

I've got a rifle scope mount spotlight. I'm trying to set it up as an ambush gun. We have fallow that come to this one spot regularly. One buck has a nice rack on him for his age. Everytime we get near and start shining the spotty they bolt.

Also trying to work this as a one-man setup. We'll see how I go I guess. $80 isn't much to pay for an invisible night hunting setup seeing as you can pay over $3000 for a NV scope.

Haha. Cheers Penguin. Very informative.

I've got a rifle scope mount spotlight. I'm trying to set it up as an ambush gun. We have fallow that come to this one spot regularly. One buck has a nice rack on him for his age. Everytime we get near and start shining the spotty they bolt.

Also trying to work this as a one-man setup. We'll see how I go I guess. $80 isn't much to pay for an invisible night hunting setup seeing as you can pay over $3000 for a NV scope.

that would be $200 for the Spotlight $80 for the Infrared Filter but you still have to spend $3000+ for the Night Vision gear then that is you invisible night hunting setup.

You will only need to use a Infrared spotlight if you want to see things 100-150m away.

Most of the built in NV illuminators give you 25-50m range.

BTW... I thought hunting deer with a spotlight or NV gear is illegal ???

In Vic it is, not sure about SA where he is.

Where NV gear would be good is to use a IR laser pointed on the shotgun or rifle, scope mounted spotlight with IR filter and then head mounted NV gear.

Shoulder it, don't look down the scope but instead aim with the laser.