Eagletac T100c2 Mkii & Wolf Eyes Sniper 260 Comparison

Rob - CW

Hi all,

After all of Fenring's write-ups I recently purchased an Eagletac T100C2 Mark II as an addition to my night hunting kit. I already own a Wolf Eyes Sniper 260 but I wanted a 2nd torch as I generally do my night hunting with a mate who doesn't have a torch (just one of those bulky LightForce setups with a giant shot-lived battery).

So, given that the 'tacticool' torches are all the rage at the moment I thought some might be interested in a side by side comparison between two offerings that seem to be pretty popular.

So here it goes:

Torch specs:

Wolf Eyes Sniper 260

- 260 lumens from a Cree Q5 LED

- max runtime on high 2hr 2mins using one 18650 2200 mAH lithium-ion battery

- regulated output

- overall length 13cm with a 1 inch diametre aluminim body

- 3 modes: high, low and strobe. These modes are activated by pressing the on/off button

In addition to the standard press button on/off switch, My torch also has the 'gun tape switch'. This is essentially just a bungee cord with a press button on the end to quickly and easily turn the torch on/off. This is useful if you regularly switch the torch off when approaching a warren etc.

The setup above with the gun tape, charger and 1 battery will set you back $179AUD plus postage from wolfeyes.com.au. I purchased mine from here and it arrived inside 48hrs and included a phonecall to determine what length gun tape switch I wanted. I belive you can purchase the torch only (i.e. minus battery, charger and tape switch) for $120.

Complete specs and sales pitch etc can be found here:

http://wolfeyes.com.au/wolf-eyes-sniper-26...solo-p-131.html

EagleTac T100C2 Mark II with smooth reflector & tactical tail stand

- 220 lumens from a Cree Q3 LED

- max runtime at on 'Turbo' mode quoted as 3hrs using an 18650 lithium-ion battery (the same as the Wolf Eyes)

- regulated output

- overall length 14.5cm with 1 inch diametre aluminium body

- 2 modes: turbo and general

The model I have described above can be purchased for $47USD + postage from www.illuminationgear.com. I purchased mine here just before Christmas. It took about 12 days to arrive from the USA. The staff here were very helpful with my questions.

Complete specs and write-up can be found here:

http://www.illuminationgear.com/26971.html

I didn't need extra batteries for the EagleTac as the 18650s I already had for my WolfEyes will fit. As Fenring as said, Deal Extreme is the place to go for batteries, chargers and mounting accessories. A couple of protected cell batteries, a charger and nylon/velcro scope mount (which will suit either torch) will set you back another $20 odd USD including postage. The last things I ordered from here in November took about 2 weeks to arrive.

Looking at the two torches side by side, my first thoughts are that the Wolf Eyes is slightly shorter and slightly heavier. The Wolf Eye's on/off switch on the body is on the side of the torch rather than the end like the EagleTac. The Wolf Eyes will be slightly easier to press when mounted on the scope using the nylon mount I think. One thing I don't like about the EagleTac is the method of changing from high to low beam; you have to twist the head of the torch left of right. This is not really an issue for me though as I typically have my torch on high beam or off.

So in general both torches feel like quality equipment but personally I prefer the design of the Wolf Eyes. The Wolf Eye's also feels slightly more robust, I think the aluminium tubing is a heavier gauge than the EagleTac. Both torches feel like they could withstand being dropped. The lense on the EagelTac is noticeably thinner than the Wolf Eye's when tapped and I think the Wolf Eyes would better withstand being bumped/dropped etc.

At this stage I have not compared the beams but there is nothing to indicate to me that the Wolf Eyes is worth the significant price difference.

I have attached photos of the torches side by side with a 50 cent piece for scale. Also included is a battery and the nylon mount for interest sake.

Stay tuned for part 2, I will take the torches down to the park in the dark and do a beam comparison at 100 paces.

post-4803-1262598067_thumb.jpg

post-4803-1262598080_thumb.jpg

post-4803-1262598093_thumb.jpg

Bunny at 12 o'clock!!

So far so good.

I'm looking forward to your other pics, when they get posted up.

OK, here goes Part 2.

NOTE: the EagleTac is always on the LEFT and the WolfEyes is always on the RIGHT.

First up, a shot of both torches on high and directed at the ground in front of my feet:

et-left_we-right.JPG

And another, same thing but separate photos. My thong is in the middle of the beam for scale.

ET_WE_Close.jpg

Next off the rank, both torches on low beam (the pole is 25 paces from the camera):

ET_WE_25_LOW.jpg

Same shot but with both torches on high beam:

ET_WE_25_HIGH.jpg

High beam on a 1L milk container at 25 paces and a 2L water bottle at 50 paces:

ET_WE_2550.jpg

Both torches, high beam on a pole at 100 paces:

ET_WE_100.jpg

So, I think the result is pretty clear based on my dodgy photos.

The EagleTac has a significantly tighter, more focussed beam than the WolfEyes and therefore lights up the target better at longer distances. In terms of light intensity, there really doesn't appear to be much difference. Both lights are a similar 'soft white' colour. The EagleTac may appear brighter in some photos but this is simply due to the tighter beam in my opinion. The extra lumens of the Wolf Eyes clearly don't equate to extra brightness from what I saw.

Inside 80m, there really isn't much of a performance difference in my opinion, but exceeding this distance you will better make out the silhouette of your target with the EagleTac, whereas with the WolfEyes you will not see too much more than eye shine.

Both torches are great units and both are definitely suitable out to 100m. The WolfEyes is a more robust torch construction wise but is outperformed in use by the EagleTac.

So in conculsion the EagleTac is the preferred torch in my opinion. The price tag makes this decision even easier, you could just about setup 2 EagleTacs for the price of 1 WolfEyes setup.

I have hunted now quite a bit with the Wolf Eyes and really don't have too much to complain about. Eye shine from foxes etc can be picked up muuuuuuch further than I would ever bother taking a shot with my HMR. The battery life in this torch is as stated, well over 2hrs on full power. I will be utilising the EagleTac more in the coming months so I will report back if I think there are any more relevant differences with the WolfEyes.

Hope this makes the tactical torch decision somewhat easier!

Thanks for the pics and feed back Rob.

The pics definitely show that the Eagletac does generally speaking out perform the Wolfeyes.

Did the things in the pics appear brighter to you in person? I can see hardly anything.

So what kind of practical range with a scope would they have?

Try looking at the pics at full size. Focus on looking at the centre of the torch beams and you should be able to make out the described items. If this is no good I can post some higher-resolution versions. Let me know what you think. It is tricky with no camera zoom, as I was trying the capture the entire width of the beam.

I have taken shots at 90m+ with the Wolf Eyes and not had a problem seeing what I'm shooting down the scope. As stated eye shine shows up much further away. Based on this test the EagleTac should be effective for a bit further.

OK, here goes Part 2.

NOTE: the EagleTac is always on the LEFT and the WolfEyes is always on the RIGHT.

First up, a shot of both torches on high and directed at the ground in front of my feet:

et-left_we-right.JPG

And another, same thing but separate photos. My thong is in the middle of the beam for scale.

ET_WE_Close.jpg

Next off the rank, both torches on low beam (the pole is 25 paces from the camera):

ET_WE_25_LOW.jpg

Same shot but with both torches on high beam:

ET_WE_25_HIGH.jpg

High beam on a 1L milk container at 25 paces and a 2L water bottle at 50 paces:

ET_WE_2550.jpg

Both torches, high beam on a pole at 100 paces:

ET_WE_100.jpg

Well done rob, Thanks for making the efort. Ther is a difference

Interesting comparison. By the looks both light have the smooth reflector option? This makes a bit of difference to the beam.

One thing that's come out of other tests of the Eagletac T100C2 is that it runs equally well on 1X 18650 or 2X CR123 batteries whereas some lights will only run their best with the CR123's.

My own T100C2 runs on 1X 18650 and I can get 4 hours at full power which IMO is bloody awesome.

Using the .22, I have shot a few dozen rabbits out to 50m using only the 55 lumen low setting, thanks to that tight centre spot.

Both torches are IMO good choices for short to mid range hunting and are nice and light and compact and the overall quality of both is excellent. The fact that they have a bit of spill makes it possible to see directly in front of you, so you can see where you are walking - as opposed to a really tight beam that's only good way out.

Interesting comparison. By the looks both light have the smooth reflector option? This makes a bit of difference to the beam.

Correct, both have the smooth reflector.

One thing that's come out of other tests of the Eagletac T100C2 is that it runs equally well on 1X 18650 or 2X CR123 batteries whereas some lights will only run their best with the CR123's.

My own T100C2 runs on 1X 18650 and I can get 4 hours at full power which IMO is bloody awesome.

Using the .22, I have shot a few dozen rabbits out to 50m using only the 55 lumen low setting, thanks to that tight centre spot.

Both torches are IMO good choices for short to mid range hunting and are nice and light and compact and the overall quality of both is excellent. The fact that they have a bit of spill makes it possible to see directly in front of you, so you can see where you are walking - as opposed to a really tight beam that's only good way out.

Agree, but the Eagletac is so much cheaper!

I have the Eagletac and reakon its the BEST thing I have bought fo my night shooting outfit. I bought it last year from the same site as above and as said the gave great service. I havent tried any other brand and have no need to when this little torch is so good. With light, 2 batteries, charger ,mount and postage I paid $71. I will post some pics when I get me PC back from being repaired and show the number of bunnies that have been taken useing the Eagletac in the last few weeks. (PC been down since before xmas and still not repaired)

I would really like to see how my torch goes up against the Wolf and other such torches as I have a P7 and it is brilliant but I do think my torch from china that I had sent for a total of about $8 with 2 cr123 batteries kicks it's butt, I have also got one that is a lot bigger and it runs on 5 of those batteries.

??????????????????????????