Night Vision Scope For Spotting - Project - Like To Join In?

cj7hawk

With regards to the cheap 25mm lens I mentioned earlier ( The C-mount one ) - If you were planning on ordering it and haven't, then don't yet. I received mine and I'm not sure it's a 1" lens. I'm still using it as the lens for my project, so will let you know if it works - though for all typical uses, the edge of a 25mm 3-stage tube isn't great for spotting anyway so it might not matter-

David.

Edited by cj7hawk

is anyone ordering the tube in as i want one

I think everyone is ordering them separately. It's cheaper to get them delivered directly than it is to bring in a small number.

Anyway, first step was "Order a tube" and "collect the parts" which is, at this point, a length of 80mm pvc pipe (say 50cm is more than enough ) and two PVC endcaps to suit. If you're not sure where to get one, remember that SamHuntVic will send them to you at a great price! If you're using the same Loupe as me, then you also want two PVC pipe joiners -

Second step is "Make the end-caps"

This is a little fiddly because you want to be accurate and to make neat holes. I use a dremel and then cut the middle out and sand down to the final diameter. I did that really carefully so it took me about 37 seconds.

endcaps1.jpg

You can see I've drilled the "lens" end so that the lens mount ( C/CS-mount in my case ) can be fitted. I drilled close and then fitted the mount with some 5-min araldyte. If it's a camera mount you're using ( from a "donor" camera ) then see how big you need to cut the hole to accomodate the lens bayonet.

The two 40mm pipes go together like this - ( You can see the glue on the front lens mount too )

endcaps2.jpg

That allows you to adjust the distance that the magnifying glass is from the screen when complete. Remember that you will need to cut those ends off, so don't glue that part yet.

The next step is to work out how long your tube should be. I have 2 sets of 50mm pipe joiners which hold the tube tightly and will make this adjustable for me. This is VERY handy if you have a camera lens, though I'll be using a fixed length pipe at one end, so only need 1 set of 50mm pipe joiners for my project. The threaded PVC is very handy for NV projects.

Now - how do you know what your focal plane length is? If it's C-mount then it's 17.5mm. If CS-mount then it's 12.5mm. If you don't know, here's how you measure it.

Lay your lens on the ground looking outside and SET THE FOCUS to the correct distance. Put a piece of card up behind it and move until you get a sharp picture. Measure how far this is from the lens flange. You can often get this a bit wrong and it will still focus, but zoom lenses will go out of focus when you zoom.

distance.jpg

Anyway, that's the hard work done... Next instruction - Cutting the PVC pipe and installing the tube.

David.

I think everyone is ordering them separately. It's cheaper to get them delivered directly than it is to bring in a small number.

Anyway, first step was "Order a tube" and "collect the parts" which is, at this point, a length of 80mm pvc pipe (say 50cm is more than enough ) and two PVC endcaps to suit. If you're not sure where to get one, remember that SamHuntVic will send them to you at a great price! If you're using the same Loupe as me, then you also want two PVC pipe joiners -

Second step is "Make the end-caps"

This is a little fiddly because you want to be accurate and to make neat holes. I use a dremel and then cut the middle out and sand down to the final diameter. I did that really carefully so it took me about 37 seconds.

endcaps1.jpg

You can see I've drilled the "lens" end so that the lens mount ( C/CS-mount in my case ) can be fitted. I drilled close and then fitted the mount with some 5-min araldyte. If it's a camera mount you're using ( from a "donor" camera ) then see how big you need to cut the hole to accomodate the lens bayonet.

The two 40mm pipes go together like this - ( You can see the glue on the front lens mount too )

endcaps2.jpg

That allows you to adjust the distance that the magnifying glass is from the screen when complete. Remember that you will need to cut those ends off, so don't glue that part yet.

The next step is to work out how long your tube should be. I have 2 sets of 50mm pipe joiners which hold the tube tightly and will make this adjustable for me. This is VERY handy if you have a camera lens, though I'll be using a fixed length pipe at one end, so only need 1 set of 50mm pipe joiners for my project. The threaded PVC is very handy for NV projects.

Now - how do you know what your focal plane length is? If it's C-mount then it's 17.5mm. If CS-mount then it's 12.5mm. If you don't know, here's how you measure it.

Lay your lens on the ground looking outside and SET THE FOCUS to the correct distance. Put a piece of card up behind it and move until you get a sharp picture. Measure how far this is from the lens flange. You can often get this a bit wrong and it will still focus, but zoom lenses will go out of focus when you zoom.

distance.jpg

Anyway, that's the hard work done... Next instruction - Cutting the PVC pipe and installing the tube.

David.

David what is your location?

Delet that just checked your profile.

I have an offer for guys in melbourne doing this project providing there are not to many of them, the offer is free machining of the parts to suit.

Having said that do you want me to check out ally tube? and can make ally end caps to suit as i have it on site. You call boys.

let me know cheers.

Guest caveman

i havn't even started yet and i've got a headache, just waiting on some funds for a tube, dave can you pm the list of gear to save me looking back through the whole lot of this

Edited by caveman

Guys i have pmed duncs and told him in happy to help you local guys in melbourne make these things out of ally tube and ally end caps to suit your fittings.

Im not making one but i have the skills and machines to make up the parts for you.

As for you guys interstate im also happy to help out.

The only charge at this time will be the tube. No labour charges.

TALKING OF THE TUBE I WOULD NEED A SIZE THAT SUITS YOU ALL, iM CAHSING UP 50MM 75MM AND 80MM TUBE

Your only cost at this stage would be the tube so you would all need to decide what tube it is going to be and postage of course.

I have 90mm bar stock in ally.

The only thing i want is a drwaing of what you want and accurate measurments of the parts to be fitted to the end caps, the shape you want or need does not matter.

When i say measure it i mean to within .001 of an inch for you old guys like me.

So can you get together and come up with some sort of a standard of tube, im aware that you may all have different bits for the end but all i need is a size and if you get it wrong it will either fall in or not go in.

And guys when it dont fit it pisses me off. as it will you.

LOL seeing how duncs is happy to get the free offer so to speak can you deal with him.

Fight with him lol just give me sizes.

cheers

Talk about walking blindly into the fire...

But no worries - happy to be the guinea pig.

I've only just ordered my tube though so I guess we're on-hold until it arrives.

Duncs if you think you might be in the fire what about me, I have talked to david surgested orings on he end caps for dust and water proofing, can also use orings on the ids if needed for shosk support.

So in my mind its all easy stuff. You guys have to make them work lol.

And your collect all the info lmao.

I got the easy bit.

MMMMMMMM im starting the get jealous, bloody tempted as well,

Ill decide when i get to see the list, he is doing a final design on monday so we will see what it involves.

As for you caveman, i said hi to you when i was in QLD your response was more than human so the offer applies to you also.

Dont worry mate there is no time limit on the offer unless i die in the mean time.

With davids desigh and the pro made parts to suit you bits and peices it should look better that the one in the pic in fact it will be but i give the guy his credit for doing so well with what he had to work with.

By machining the end caps to suit the parts there will be a blend of the complete unit, in other words it will all look like one peice.

Can i toss in an idea boys (What could it be called) OZHUNT what? Davids Eye? Cavemans dream?

Duncs nightmare?

Think about it.

cheers.

Just jumped on ebay the item finished on the 26/1 so i have emailed him to see if more are available and at what cost.

Ill report on his reply when i get it.

Im going to blame you for making me feel left out duncs lol. I cant bear the thought of you guys having something that a collector like myself dont have.

I take a bloody suit case full of trinkets with me when i head off now.

My hunt and travel unit is an ex ambo f100 fitted out so you can can just gess whats locked away in it.

Thanks for planting the thought duncs.

Cheers.

Only one like that?

OK, before I get onto the ALUMINIUM project, I'm going to finish the PLASTIC PVC project...

David's Eye? That sounds kind of nice... I like that.

Anyway, here it is :)

parts.jpg

OK, The front cap now has a "RING" in it - This fits around the spacer to stop it from moving. ( Since I used spacers that fit the rubber of the scope this time, they are smaller than the tube ) It's hot-melt-glued in place.

The cut piece of pipe is 80mm PVC with about 1" removed - It folds and spaces out the gap between the back of the tube and the PVC pipe.

The front spacer is 50mm pipe joiner... The one I photographed earlier. It's an exact fit for the tube. ID 50.6 OD 55.8

The rear spacer is a cut-down threaded section so I can adjust the "tension" of the spacer... I cut the thread of both pieces to make it a bit smaller - Took about 8-9mm off each.

The eyepiece is just the threaded 40mm pipe joiners, though the inside is cut down to 8mm - just enough to glue.

The eyepiece lens is a loupe - as I linked to before - Held in place with 2 O-rings... I should use some araldyte though.

The lens adapter and lens extension is a C-mount 5mm spacer. ( I went for CS-mount spacing, so I need an extra 5mm spacer for C-mount lenses. but it means I can use BOTH lenses ).

On the vignetting ( Blackness around the edges ) - The C-mount lenses are a little small - A camera lens does better but you'll need a camera lens adapter for C-mount or a camera bayonet and longer front-focus ( in which case, use a threaded set of pipe joiners so you can fine-tune the distance. )

That's it. I just whacked it all together and turned it on. Very sharp... Way sharper than most Gen2 scopes. These are very good tubes. Friction fit held it all together while I tried it out, outside... At 75mm and with a narrow field of view ( felt like about 20 degrees ) a 75mm lens gave me close to 1:1 magnification - maybe more than that. Compared to a Gen3 scope, the center resolution is around 80~90 lp/mm equivalent ( 45 lp/mm at half the FOV due to the choice of Loupe..) That makes for a VERY high resolution image... It was like looking through green glass.

My missus is going to be angry be when she comes to bed. There's finely ground PVC everywhere.. All over that floral print.

I'm in big trouble :(

So take a look while I can still see out of both eyes...

assembled.jpg

And here's a working pic... Full moon so it's a bit bright ( look at that moon shadow ! )

I wound the aperture in the lens back to F:6 for this.

first-light.jpg

The picture doesn't do it justice. The Missus came out to look and I put the aperture down to F:22 and she said "Oh, it's quite good. The moon is bright isn't it... " - Then I wound the aperture back to F:1.4 and she said "Wow, Oh my god, It's like a full sun!"

Then "Oh wow, I can even see the leaves on the trees ( she was looking at trees about 30m away )."

Anyway, I'm off to bed now... BTW, does anyone know a good speculative fiction publisher?

David

With davids desigh and the pro made parts to suit you bits and peices it should look better that the one in the pic in fact it will be but i give the guy his credit for doing so well with what he had to work with.

MacGyver has me on speed dial for when he's in real trouble and only has access to a pile of PVC piping... :)

You can make all kinds of fun things out of PVC pipe... Tents, Chairs, Electric Outboard Motors, SMAW's, etc.

I wouldn't mind having a nice workshop one day. I'll be an old man by the time I can make nice stuff at home like Optic can.

Oh crap... I am an old man... :( Well I'll be a very old man then.

David.