Camelbak Ranger

G'day mate,

I recently bought one from another forum, but haven't been able to test it in the field.

Looks a bit ugly, but has pleanty of pockets and extra features, and i'm sure it'll be a great backpack for me for a long time.

I certainly like it and can't wait to try it.

Believe it or not I have just received in the mail today my camelbak ranger XT pack from cabelas

I bought it because I wanted the 3 litre water capacity when shooting during the summer in WA

I bought mine from cabelas it only took a week using their cheapest freight rate

I did find cheaper ones on ebay but when I added the postage cost on - Cabelas worked out a lot cheaper

What would you like to know

Believe it or not I have just received in the mail today my camelbak ranger XT pack from cabelas

I bought it because I wanted the 3 litre water capacity when shooting during the summer in WA

I bought mine from cabelas it only took a week using their cheapest freight rate

I did find cheaper ones on ebay but when I added the postage cost on - Cabelas worked out a lot cheaper

What would you like to know

G'day Len i'm looking at cabela's at the moment as they have them on sale , how much was frieght and in particular what is the waist belt like , sturdy? and do they have any easy access pockets in the waiste belt for instant camera or gps.Did it come with hydration bladder or is that seperate. Regards Ron

I've got two Camelbaks, an approx 10 year old Blowfish I use for bike riding and running and a 2 year old Commander. Both are great, only gripe with the hunting line is most are 2 litres. I wanted 3, but that means a much bigger pack. It's not quite big enough for backpacking but it's a bit too big for day trips. I'm sure it'll come in handy one day when I can fill it with meat. All the pockets are rather handy, I've got everything nicely sorted and don't have to go rummaging through all my gear to get one thing.

I got it from Snowgum at the Glen (which might not be there anymore? There's one at Knox), they had to order it in though. Cabelas is probably cheaper.

G'day Len i'm looking at cabela's at the moment as they have them on sale , how much was frieght and in particular what is the waist belt like , sturdy? and do they have any easy access pockets in the waiste belt for instant camera or gps.Did it come with hydration bladder or is that seperate. Regards Ron

freight was 25% 0f sale price so its currently $90 freight would be $22.50

when you order it you will get a note saying that delivery will be 8 to 12 weeks - ignore that I got mine in 1 week

Waste belt is a strap and strong and the shoulder straps and back padding are excellant, it has small velcro straps that you use to retain the excess from all straps once you have adjusted them

The ranger does not have any pockets on the waste strap are you looking at a different pack - you can buy small storage satchels that you could put on the waste strap for gps etc

It comes complete with the water bladder

It does have a very good reinforced base

and there is a blaze orange over-cover that hides in a zippered slot at the base of the bag that you can use to cover the the outside of the bottom half of the bag as a safety flag

If you want some pics let me know

Thanks for that Len , all the pics i've seen dont show the waiste belt , so didn't know if it was a padded belt or just strap . Can't find anyone that stocks them around here . Another pack i will be checking is the sitka , alot more dollars but has the ventilated back and padded waist belt and looks a bit more comfortable. Thanks for all the replys and i'll get in touch if i need some pics, Regrds ron

Thanks for that Len , all the pics i've seen dont show the waiste belt , so didn't know if it was a padded belt or just strap . Can't find anyone that stocks them around here . Another pack i will be checking is the sitka , alot more dollars but has the ventilated back and padded waist belt and looks a bit more comfortable. Thanks for all the replys and i'll get in touch if i need some pics, Regrds ron

The ranger has a very good ventilated and comfortable back and very good shoulder straps

Padded waist belts are normally used on packs that are designed to carry a bit of weight and are designed to carry the weight on the hips using the waist straps that's why they are padded such as my Macpac- day packs are not meant to carry lots of weight so they are set up to carry the weight on the shoulder straps rather then the waist straps which are used mostly to keep the pack secure

I have tried more bloody back packs that the shop has.

And to date have not found what i need. I must have 6 in the shed of all types.

I have dumped the hunting packs and gone to a blazed normal back pack with an air mesh between your back and it.

I did ask if they were interested in making one designed by the hunters.

The answer was yes but the next order so that wont happen.

In fact i have gone back to the old bum bag and water bottles along with basic pouches, army issue it work for me then and it still does now without hugging me to death.

I do admit that i have the new issue padded belt.

Im at a loss with back packs, they have to be the only bit of gear that i have that does not do the job for me.

I haven't used any of the hunting camebak's but do use them often when out on the bike in the bush for a long day. have stacked a few times hard carrying it and haven't popped it yet. they are also easy to clean as you can get your whole handin there to clean them. also they have a good coating in them that stops and mould inside sticking to the bladder. mine has been abused andused for the last 6 years and have never once thought of replacing it and ithas never once given up on me.

Ended up getting the camelbak ranger from Cabela's ( when the dollar dropped,Dohh) perfect for a day pac and very comfortable , took it for its first trip on the weekend and managed to get a front leg of a big animal in the pack and one straped to it , not meant to carry that wieght but handled it fine. Gets the thumbs up